Old 02-15-2003, 09:13 PM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Utumno
Where can I read about his theory?
http://www.suite101.com/

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:35 PM   #22
Imladrien
Sapling

I believe that Galadriel was really asking "Why isn't Amarie here? Why aren't the two of you married?" rather than the interpretation that has been given here. --Imladrien
Imladrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 03:39 PM   #23
Ruinel
Banned

Finrod loved Amarie, so the Silmarillion says. But it doesn't say that she loved him back. It only says that "she went not with him into exile." It doesn't say she wasn't permitted to go, just that she didn't go. I think that if she truely loved Finrod, she would have gone with him anywhere, even into exile, no matter what.

Oh, I know I would have followed Finrod anywhere, in a pinch!

Can anyone give me some suggestions. I would like to start buying the HoME books, but I'm not sure what is in each one or which I should buy first. Should I buy them and read them in order? Are there any that you feel are more valuable to the history than others? Are there any which contain the best of stories?
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 03:45 PM   #24
Ruinel
Banned

I also do not believe that Gildor Inglorion "of the House of Finrod" is Finrod's son (from FotR). Otherwise he would have said... "son of Finrod" or "son of (whomever), son of Finrod". I think he was either in a position in the house of Finrod of confidence, or he offered his service to the House of Finrod. But I don't believe him to be the son or grandson of Finrod.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #25
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I like Imladrien's explanation.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:59 PM   #26
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

It could be that Finrod's remarks arose unbidden-elvish foresight, not an ordinary thought at all. That would explain the dissonance.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:11 PM   #27
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
It could be that Finrod's remarks arose unbidden-elvish foresight, not an ordinary thought at all. That would explain the dissonance.
The Sil does say that "foresight came upon Felagund as she spoke, and he said: 'An oath I too shall swear, and must be free to fulfil it, and go into darkness. Nor shall anything of my realm endure that a son should inherit.'"

I think he wanted to be free to fight the evil of ME unbridled by his thoughts of another. Or being hindered by feeling he must protect another (child or wife). And he also knew (foresight) the perils he would be up against as well as his realm in Nargothrond (destroyed by Glaurung). Although I suppose it was more a feeling of dread and not an actual vision of the future.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:04 PM   #28
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Finrod loved Amarie, so the Silmarillion says. But it doesn't say that she loved him back. It only says that "she went not with him into exile." It doesn't say she wasn't permitted to go, just that she didn't go. I think that if she truely loved Finrod, she would have gone with him anywhere, even into exile, no matter what.
Well, she did love him back, because in the HoMe they were married after his release from Mandos. The HoMe also says that she was not permitted to go into exile with him.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 03:37 PM   #29
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, she did love him back, because in the HoMe they were married after his release from Mandos. The HoMe also says that she was not permitted to go into exile with him.
Dang! I have got to get these books. Can you recommend which ones I should pick up first. That is, if I do not have to read them in order 1 through 12, then which ones are worth getting and reading first.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:41 PM   #30
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I bet most here would reccomend HoME 10, Morgoth's Ring. So do I
Old 03-02-2003, 03:51 PM   #31
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yeah, it depends on where your interests lie in the mytho. The HoMe do not have to be read in order, because they are not like a story. The first books I bought were the last three volumes: Morgoth's Ring (10) The War of the Jewels (11) and: The Peoples of Middle-earth (12) These were of the greatest interest to me because 10 and 11 are the Later Quenta Silmarillion. I own none of the books related to LotRs. I should get them though, just so I can keep up the discussion with those that do have them.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 04:08 PM   #32
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, it depends on where your interests lie in the mytho. The HoMe do not have to be read in order, because they are not like a story. The first books I bought were the last three volumes: Morgoth's Ring (10) The War of the Jewels (11) and: The Peoples of Middle-earth (12) These were of the greatest interest to me because 10 and 11 are the Later Quenta Silmarillion. I own none of the books related to LotRs. I should get them though, just so I can keep up the discussion with those that do have them.
I think someone once told me that one of the books has traditions of the peoples of ME. Sounds like that would be in the 12th book you are mentioning here. I'm going to order them now.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:16 PM   #33
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I think someone once told me that one of the books has traditions of the peoples of ME. Sounds like that would be in the 12th book you are mentioning here. I'm going to order them now.
Along these lines, another great read is "Laws and Customs of the Eldar," in Morgoth's Ring, vol. 10.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 04:29 PM   #34
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Along these lines, another great read is "Laws and Customs of the Eldar," in Morgoth's Ring, vol. 10.
Now that you mention it. I think this person was talking about Morgoth's Ring, as you say here.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:37 PM   #35
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I just bought all three. They'll be here in a week. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:07 PM   #36
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I just bought all three. They'll be here in a week. Thanks for the recommendation.
You're welcome, and I don't think you will be disappointed with your choices, especially Morgoth's ring. When you get it read "Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth." If you like Finrod, you will love this story. It will make you cry.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 05:11 PM   #37
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
You're welcome, and I don't think you will be disappointed with your choices, especially Morgoth's ring. When you get it read "Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth." If you like Finrod, you will love this story. It will make you cry.
I definitely "like" Finrod Felegund, the best Elf that ever was created by JRR Tolkien. He who makes all other elves (especially Legolas Greenleaf of Mirkwood) look like a bunch of pansies. If you were going to "like" an elf in any of these stories, Finrod would be the one.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:18 PM   #38
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

You're telling me?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 06:28 PM   #39
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
You're telling me?
I get the impression you may fancy the Elf yourself. Could this be?
Old 03-02-2003, 06:38 PM   #40
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I get the impression you may fancy the Elf yourself. Could this be?
Geez Ruinel, you just haven't been around here long enough. Everyone here knows how I feel about King Finrod. Too bad he's not real.

Travel and Tourism Guide