Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2003, 04:50 PM   #21
straight_face
Enting

Re: "Hoosier" reference by Dave Barry

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNotSoWise

He's a humorist--he makes jokes. So learn to laugh at yourself, whether you are from Indiana or you love Tolkien (as I do) or whatever.
Amen to that, brotha.
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:35 PM   #22
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
I'd laugh if he was funny

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:43 PM   #23
Indril Anarion
Elven Warrior

ha, Ha....it sounds like my friends talking...but it was pretty funny...
-Gandalf, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody tosses a Dwarf."
- Gimli, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Save Ferris!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My true Elven name is Idril Anarion, but I misspelled in the username, and now I can't fix it... Oh, well...now you know...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be afraid of death....Be afraid of the unlived life- Tuck Everlasting
Indril Anarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:59 PM   #24
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

LEGOLAS: I have no idea what you're talking about.

LORD ARAGORN: Me either. I'm just reading the script.

GIMLI: Well, I'm really short!

Hahahaha! I'm sure I'd fall off the chair if I wasn't on the floor already.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:10 PM   #25
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I think it is stupid. It's a parody, yes, but a stupid one. It basically says, I'm ignorant but I consider myself able to judge anyway. I'm more inclined to cry than laugh when people behave like that.
I think that it was a pretty respectful parody. As the very beginning he says
Quote:
I am not complaining. My eyeballs were literally riveted to the screen, by literal rivets, from the moment I sat down until the moment I lost all sensation in my lower body.
He said he wasn't complaining, and i think that comapared to what he could have said, It wasn't that bad. I've seen a lot worse parodies, that were written by tolkien fans. And he couldn't have been that ignorant, other wise he wouldn't have been able to write the run-on sentance part of it (my fav. part, since i actually understood the whole thing!)

BTW, where did you all see it? I saw it in the Washington Post Magazine, but you cant all be from Washington DC. I read his article every week, and i cant wait to see if he does one on ROTK. The Joke about the dead weasels being a good name for a band comes from two previous, seperate jokes. First, in almost all his articles, Dave usually chooses a weird phrase from earlier and says "that would be a good name for a band". And in one of his articles, he explains that he finds the word weasel hilarious, and any joke can be made better if you use the word weasel in it.

I was glad to see this thread, b/c i wanted to ask you people if you thought the "I'm still short" Gimli joke was making a referance to the fact that PJ didn't do a good job making JRD look small, thus "I'm still short" should result in you thinking "No he isn't!!". This is N-O-T my opinion, but my mom's. I think DB was making fun of the fact that Gimli had become the new comic relief. But my mom refuses to believe me, and says that the movie didn't do good job convincing her that JRD or the hobbits were short. AAARGH!
Old 05-04-2003, 02:18 PM   #26
azalea
Long lost mooter

His column is syndicated, so it appears in newspapers around the country whose parent companies buy it to be put in.

The Gimli thing was indeed because of the cheap shots PJ took at him due to his stature.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 06:05 PM   #27
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Lol! That Dave Barry guy is a funny man.