Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #21
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

The thread title was meant to be provocative. I am tired of reading post after post bashing Peter Jackson and his talented team of artists. The bashing has been as mindless and juvenile as the stupid name-calling that's made up most of the posts here.

Thanks to PJ, we are getting THE BEST ADAPTION of the Lord of the Rings one could have ever hoped for or will ever get. For you Book Purists out there, the hard reality is that if a completely faithful adaption of the story was ever created, it would be a major boxoffice disaster. It took someone like Peter Jackson who: A) understood Tolkien better than anyone here; B) understood the art of making movies and how to write effective screenplays; and C) had a stamina and the passion for the process, to make this thing work, and work beautifully.

There are many of you who claim that the deviations from the books have "ruined" the movies. I believe quite strong that the opposite is the case. The "deviations" from the source material have strengthened the story and enhanced this modern mythology we call Lord of the Rings. If any of you are interested in any intelligent conversation about this, I'm game.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:45 PM   #22
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Re: Peter Jackson is God

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I can understand how Tolkien Purists might be taken aback by some of the changes in the movie. They caught me by surprise too. But the bottom line is: THEY WORK. Watching the movie again, you can't help but appreciate the fact that they were brilliantly conceived and really enhance the overall emotional themes of Tolkien's work. And THAT is what is really important in any movie adaption of a beloved book.
Quote:
My guess is that after ROTK, most people (except for maybe the Purists who hang out here) will love the Movie Faramir even more than they did Book Faramir.[/B]
Aha! I knew it! In the only two posts he has in this thread he mentions purists! [EDIT: Oh and also in the third post that apeared when I was typing]

(Sorry for going off topic but I had made a bet with myself when I saw this thread. )

Well it's very difficult for ALL of us to say how Faramir will be in RoTK. Personally I thought the TTT Faramir was a completely different character than from the book. Hopefully RoTK is better.

Last edited by Earniel : 01-12-2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:59 PM   #23
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Why do you think they changed Faramir's character so completely? I'm sure there is a reason behind every change made, and Faramir is certainly one of those changes... how does Faramir's different character benefit the movie? Why do you think they did it? Keep in mind I havent' eaten since wednesday so I'm all foggy but here's just an idea to throw in that I could come up with with my slow brain in a few minutes...

They moved Shelob to ROTK because Frodo and Sam wouldn't have enough to do in ROTK without Shelob. So, without this big danger at the end of TTT, maybe they thought they should make Faramir the danger?

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 01-12-2003 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:02 PM   #24
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm having deja vu.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:10 PM   #25
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
[B]Why do you think they changed Faramir's character so completely? I'm sure there is a reason behind every change made, and Faramir is certainly one of those changes...
Oh, I'm confident that there is a reason for this change. I think I have a pretty good idea about the why. It just doesn't mean I have to like it. And I'll grant PJ so much that he managed to pull all the changes together. You never would hear me say otherwise. But still.... I didn't like it much. Maybe with another viewing that might change but not now.

Quote:
I'm having deja vu.
Expect one next year too.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:11 PM   #26
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Purist is not a dirty word. It's used to describe people who are uncomfortable with deviations from the book.

If being called a "purist" is thought to be bad by some people, it's probably because of the way some purists act. Case in point: The personal insults in this thread.

In the immortal words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"
Old 01-12-2003, 04:11 PM   #27
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I'm having deja vu.
Ditto........still fun tho'

BB when are you gonna realise that the difinitive film adaptation of LotR is going to be made by someone who is more interested in portraying an accurate version of Tolkiens book and is less interested in hacking the story to pieces in favour of the profit?

Quote:
If any of you are interested in any intelligent conversation about this, I'm game.
hehehehe

Beatallica
Old 01-12-2003, 04:18 PM   #28
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I agree with you, Coney. The changes were profit-motiviated.

PJ wanted to make the best possible movie which meant making changes from the books for artistic reasons. If making the best possible movie means more public interest and more money, goodness gracious, what's wrong with that?
Old 01-12-2003, 04:26 PM   #29
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I agree with you, Coney. The changes were profit-motiviated.

PJ wanted to make the best possible movie which meant making changes from the books for artistic reasons. If making the best possible movie means more public interest and more money, goodness gracious, what's wrong with that?
Well, I guess that there is nothing wrong with it........if you see the bastardisation of Tolkiens work as a viable tool to make money.........personally I don't, but each to their own.

Beatallica
Old 01-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #30
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Bastardization of Tolkien?!??!?!

If you are going to use such strong language, back it up. Exactly how did Jackson "bastardize" Lord of the Rings? If you are going to trash someone, at least have the courtesy to explain your reasoning.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:40 PM   #31
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

If PJ is God, then it's pretty sad how he spends his life as a mere mortal making movies, instead doing god stuff.

Just ignore me. I have nothing signifigant to say.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:42 PM   #32
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Bastardization of Tolkien?!??!?!

If you are going to use such strong language, back it up. Exactly how did Jackson "bastardize" Lord of the Rings? If you are going to trash someone, at least have the courtesy to explain your reasoning.
Do you never get bored of this train of thought BB?

Go an look to any reply to any of your posts..........if I didn't contradict them then I agreed with them.

I'll leave this thread to anyone who agrees with you....

Quote:
Bastardisation

n : an act that debases or corrupts

Beatallica
Old 01-12-2003, 04:58 PM   #33
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Well it's funny since the movies were released there has been the biggest influx of Tolkien books bought in the history of Tolkien, how can you clasify bringing that much wealth and love for Tolkien as a bastardization? That is one of the main things I do not understand. Yes, maybe the films do not sit well with some of you, but think about all of the lucky people out there that have now found the very thing that we all love! I do not think it was done for mere money, I mean look at how much time and effort PJ & crew put into this, they worked for 5 years before any filming began! And why? Well, for a few reasons:

1) make the best possible interpretation ON SCREEN for AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE!,
2) to bring forth the world of Tolkien for people who would otherwise know nothing about him and his works.

To me those are two pretty damn solid reasons right there....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-12-2003, 05:01 PM   #34
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
Why do you think they changed Faramir's character so completely? I'm sure there is a reason behind every change made, and Faramir is certainly one of those changes... how does Faramir's different character benefit the movie? Why do you think they did it?
To me there are 2 reasons for this change:

1) They wanted to make people think he was just another "man corrupted by power" and was greedy like his brother, only to show a complete turn around of his character to show the beauty of who he truly is...

2) An obvious reason to me is that, if you look at a map of Middle Earth, Osgiliath is practically next to the path Frodo, Sam & Gollum take to get to Cirith Ungol. From a location standpoint it brings the two paths together in a minor detour......
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #35
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
The thread title was meant to be provocative. I am tired of reading post after post bashing Peter Jackson and his talented team of artists. The bashing has been as mindless and juvenile as the stupid name-calling that's made up most of the posts here.

Thanks to PJ, we are getting THE BEST ADAPTION of the Lord of the Rings one could have ever hoped for or will ever get. For you Book Purists out there, the hard reality is that if a completely faithful adaption of the story was ever created, it would be a major boxoffice disaster. It took someone like Peter Jackson who: A) understood Tolkien better than anyone here; B) understood the art of making movies and how to write effective screenplays; and C) had a stamina and the passion for the process, to make this thing work, and work beautifully.

There are many of you who claim that the deviations from the books have "ruined" the movies. I believe quite strong that the opposite is the case. The "deviations" from the source material have strengthened the story and enhanced this modern mythology we call Lord of the Rings. If any of you are interested in any intelligent conversation about this, I'm game.
I am with you man, I completely agree with everything you are saying, and I consider myself an avid enthusiast of the books and Tolkien's work....

--Linaewen
Old 01-12-2003, 05:09 PM   #36
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

If I like or dislike something and state it on a discussion board without explaining why I hold this particular opinion, why bother? Reading "I like it" or "I hate it" posts without offering any justification is boring and rather pointless because it doesn't give readers anything to discuss--unless you count a series of poster insults as a discussion (I don't).

sigh....Sometimes I think I need to teach a Discussion Board Posting 101 Class.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:21 PM   #37
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:

oh you are a character! wheres that bloody BoP when you need her !

and what prey tell is your first rule of disscussion board 101? Do you know who you remind me off and this is not so much a personal attack more an obversation you like a teacher that told us to have opinions and thats all very well and good but im allways right in the end.

Life is shades of grey not black and white
Old 01-12-2003, 06:26 PM   #38
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
If I like or dislike something and state it on a discussion board without explaining why I hold this particular opinion, why bother? Reading "I like it" or "I hate it" posts without offering any justification is boring and rather pointless because it doesn't give readers anything to discuss--unless you count a series of poster insults as a discussion (I don't).
You're obviously confusing me with someone who cares about your replies

Quote:
Here beginneth the first lesson "My word is law and thy shall believeth only me" lol.

Seriously tho' BB why did you start this thread when it could have easily been added to the "PJ has improved Tolkien" thread?

Beatallica
Old 01-12-2003, 06:29 PM   #39
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney

Here beginneth the first lesson "My word is law and thy shall believeth only me" lol.

Seriously tho' BB why did you start this thread when it could have easily been added to the "PJ has improved Tolkien" thread?
didnt that get closed cos we all slagged off BB for been a bit of an idiot?
Old 01-12-2003, 06:30 PM   #40
Elf Girl
Lurker

Black Breathalizer, this board is a haven for purists. I'm not saying that only purists visit here, but a vast percentege of us, (including myself) are purists. We try not to "bash" PJ, but if you "bash" us in favor of him, we may have no alternative.
Closed Thread