Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-24-2002, 06:22 PM   #21
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Sam I agree with you too! Seeing an elf die was moving.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 06:28 PM   #22
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

I nkow that the book and movie are seperate things, but if they wanted them to be totally seperate they wouldn't have to add
Based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien
at the end. I didn't like it when Haldir died, it was sooooo sad! I cryed a lot a lot a lot! I don't think that Haldir was rude at all! It's true, he seemed a bit self centered and acts like he is superior at times. But maybe that's just because he is an elf and his people are passing into the Grey Havens and he doesn't want to leave. Give the guy a breaK! Have some compassion!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 09:00 PM   #23
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I dunno...I didn't really like his part, but I didn't really want to see him killed...his death scene was great though

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 08:33 AM   #24
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I liked the fact that they killed him off, not that I didn't like him but because I hadn't expected they would. (Neither had I expected him showing up, but hey.) But the way they did it, was... I don't know... a bit tacky. The slow motion, him seeing that many of his elven companions are dead, the fact that Aragorn is desperately trying to reach him but getting there too late. It looked a little fake. I nearly laughed.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:04 AM   #25
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
I nkow that the book and movie are seperate things, but if they wanted them to be totally seperate they wouldn't have to add Based on the novel by JRR Tolkien
no they sat based on the novel by Tolkien because it is based not the word for word replica of it...
MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats right you all say its sad when and elf dies but you cant hide it now... you really didnt like old haldir... we can all sit here and whinge abut PJ and him righting a mistake or we can whinge with a bit of body for the loss of Boromir...
Old 12-25-2002, 04:50 PM   #26
diannah
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee

hell yes it was terrible to kill off Haldir! In my opinion he was the only cool elf. But you have to give ol' Peter credit--it was a beatiful death scene!
diannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 02:26 AM   #27
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Haldir's death didn't really bother me, it felt like it was over in about 10 seconds. He didn't look elvish to me, actually he looked a bit fat.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:26 AM   #28
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
FAT!! I think he was kind of medium. It was a beautiful death scene but I was astonished when he died! I didn't think he would die! It was the least I expected!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:01 PM   #29
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
Wow, this is an intelligent conversation.

Later, skaters.

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:07 PM   #30
ElvenMagic
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel

Yes, it was terrible that they killed him but the music was quite lovely...he certainly deserved such nice music......crazy crazy me...i'm rambling..o well...when i saw it the second time and i knew it was coming i was so upset. i nearly cried. it was quite horrible. dont you think?
ElvenMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 10:22 PM   #31
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Haldir's death was pointless, contrived, and random.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 01:12 AM   #32
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I agree, cassiommy, he looked rather chubby for an Elf to me. That's why I never liked him; he didn't Elvish at all, even disregarding the, ahem, well-rounded chin.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 08:54 AM   #33
diannah
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee

I hate to enlighten you people, but being an Elf is more an internal thing. They're virtues are not limited to being fair to look at. Haldir was wise and good and that's more important.
diannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 10:14 AM   #34
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Haldir didn't seem particularly wise or good in the movie. And also, your right that its more internal than exterior, but what's the point of having an Elf if he's going to look like he's half-way to Orc?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:24 AM   #35
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I didn't find Haldir especially unattractive, but he is not up to Elven standards in appearance. Yes the Elves were more spiritual, but did you ever here of a fat ugly Elf? Haldir was ok. Just remember that all the Elves in the flick are really humans. So in reallity, there isn't a guy in that movie that's up to Elven standards in appearance. If everyone thinks Legolas in the movie was the best looking Elf, if Legolas really existed, Orlando Bloom wouldn't have a prayer of being more handsome.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:08 AM   #36
Elenessiel
Hobbit

Yes, Haldir's death was contrived, but it was certainly not pointless or random. PJ needed to let viewers know on some level that the elves fighting this battle were making a sacrifice. Haldir was in a suitable position (i.e. we know him but he's no huge loss) to demonstrate. Think about it. How often do we actually see elves die? They may be immortal, but that doesn't mean that this war isn't hurting them. Give PJ some credit. He knows what he's doing.
Elenessiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 03:32 AM   #37
Lady of Rivendell
Hobbit

agrees...

I see the point on both sides. I was surprised to see that they did kill Haldir off but wasn't shocked. It had to be someone to make the point that they were trying to convey. On the other hand, I really think it was wasted on Haldir. They could have used another, or gone about it a different way.

Nurvingiel...If your still around here, I wanted to thank you again for your welcome on the other board. I've been trying to pm you but the Moot doesn't seem to like me right now and won't let me do it!=-)
Lady of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 03:43 AM   #38
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

When I said his death was pointless and random, I was really referring to the Elves presence at the battle in the first place.

TTT is a great stand-alone movie, so I won't point out that the Elves didn't even think about fighting at Helm's deep in the book. Right... I won't mention that at all.

Even ignoring the book, the movie does not explain anything.

I could think of reasons why the elves of Lothlorien would want to be at that battle, but none of them are brought up in the movie.

I agree that Haldir's death demonstrates the sacrifice of the elves, except, why are the elves there at all? This is why I thought it was pointless.

And why Haldir? PJ is making this part up anyway, so I suppose killing off an elf we already know is more poignant. So maybe it wasn't totally random, but this does not seem like a valid reason for killing a character.

I felt very sad watching the scene of Haldir's death, but it also felt hollow. It was put on, and I'm not sure why.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 12-30-2002 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:55 AM   #39
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hey Lady of Rivendell, I am still around. I was going to pm you too, but there seems to be a 'slight problem with the Entmoot database'. I'm sure it'll be fine soon, we'll talk.

Generally, I apologize if my annoyance at deviations from Tolkein's plot in the movie spill out into my posts. Nothing personal against anyone.
Quote:
Old 12-30-2002, 04:06 AM   #40
Lady of Rivendell
Hobbit

~laughs~

Hey Nurvingiel! I noticed that slight "problem with the Entmoot database"......funny thing, isn't it?

Annoyance is fine...=-) That can be a good thing. I review movies for a very small paper and it just iritates me to no end when people write to me and trash my reviews. I've never said " You should not go see this movie" about anything. I tell people what I think and why I think it, and then tell them to go see the movie and find out for themselves! I just have a hard time when people are really hard edged about their opinions and make other people feel stupid. Usually I find something to say about that. Luckily, I've read some of your posts and have never seen you get that way so you have nothing to apologize for!=-)

Btw, I've come to the conclusion that Entmoot needs a chatroom!=-)
Lady of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote