Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2003, 12:29 AM   #21
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

its hard to say which movie is better.fotr was great for a introductory movie but i thought TTT was better because it showed aragorns more heroic side and leadership. but he was also a leader and hero in the first one and of course gimli was great except for when pj stole his dignity
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:43 AM   #22
straight_face
Enting

I must say that both movies were done beautifully. One can compare attributes in one movie over the other, but both have equally likable and unlikable qualities. The Fellowship was my movie of 2001, and I saw it two or three times before it went out of theaters. Personally I don't favor extreme fighting sequences, and when saying that I am implying the amplified battle of Helm's Deep. Weeks after the Two Tower's first release, I was approached several times by people who had been to the movie and were curious if I had. Only once had I seen the Two Towers, which I thought was a very successful film minus a few mess-ups. Walking away, my colleague responded, "I liked the battle of Helm's Deep." I was not surprised that such people would take interest in that. Theoden, in my perspective, had a bit of an askew portrayal, and the parts with Arwen were absolutely sickening. I'm going to give you a simile now. I wrote a three-part story a long time ago. The first part was the prelude, introduction of characters, general plot, and conflict and/or motivation. The second part tied everything together and advanced the plot until the second part's end in which the characters reach their major destination. The third part is the most revealing and later ties all ends together, one can say, and ends the story quite nicely when the solution or end of the conflict is at hand. This is a bit how I view the Lord of the Rings. The Fellowship, starting out quite brightly, gets darker and darker as the company continues forward. The Two Towers has little light and is quite dark, similiar to the Return of the King which starts out dark and ends brightly. If you don't understand my "logic", that's okay. In conclusion, I can say that my expectations for the Return of the King are high, considering I'm drained of speech.

(If you want to read my story, it's called There and Not Back Again, and it's in the fan fiction section of this site. Between you and me, I can say that I really don't like the story, for it can't compare to other ones that I have written)
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'

Last edited by straight_face : 06-05-2003 at 09:45 AM.
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:06 PM   #23
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I thought FoTR was far better than the Two Towers. I couldn't stand the scenes with Arwen, I didn't like alterations such as Aragorn fell into the river. The battle, in my opinion, was fair. Programming thousands of people is impressive, but I didn't like the way the fort looked. My major problems with the movies is that they are so different than the way I imagined them. Not that I can really expect things to be exactly as I picture them, but it's not fun when you see that they aren't. FoTR was closer to my imaginings than TT. TT had an excellent Rohan, I must say though. FoTR seemed to be better organized than TT.
Earlier people mentioned Shelob not being there. Isn't she going to be in RoTK?

EDIT: Also, TT seemed more of a flick than FoTR did.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:08 PM   #24
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

Thats what I heard: Shelob is going to be in RotK.
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 09:29 PM   #25
Silpion
Elven Warrior

Although both The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers were good movies, I enjoyed The Fellowship of the Ring between the two films. (This is my opinion for the theatrical versions.)
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:56 PM   #26
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Re: tFotR vs TTT

Quote:
Originally posted by Nilore
I thought this movie was much much better but it missed out Shelob?

Nilore
i wouldnt despair much if i were you, sure peter jackson left out shelob in the two towers ( a part i was curious to see how he did it, and still am) the return of the king ( not elvis the king) will definitely have it. peter jackson put it in the beggining.
-hectorberlioz
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:10 PM   #27
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I think i prefer FOTR to TTT. maybe its because the Fellowship is my favorite book out of the three, and TTT is my least fave. But I did like Rohan. I somehow pictured Shadowfax with a bit more human personality, but oh well.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:07 PM   #28
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Views of FOTR vs. TTT

quite simple, debate and argue for your favorite film. Even if you hate them both, you should still prefer one film better than the other. Why is it better? Truer to the book, less action? Well in my opinion The Fellowship is a much better movie than the TTT. It stays more focused, it isn't as jumpy. It gives all charachters developing time and the needed screen time to give the charachters the justice that they deserve. And the movie sticks to what is important, and what Tolkein emphasized on. At least more true than TTT.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:49 PM   #29
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I personally think you can't separate the two. They are part of the same story. Once ROTK comes out, the separate identities of all three movies will blur as fans come to look at the entire film series as one big story (the same as people feel about the books.)
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:53 PM   #30
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I like FoTR better. No big ugly battle, more elves and dwarves. More varied places, more positive. TTT is pretty depressing. I'm that way with the books also. FoTR is much more "beautiful" and appealing to my artist's eye. The Shire, Rivendell, Lothlorien, Moria...good stuff!
Old 11-04-2003, 03:49 PM   #31
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Lizra
"I like FoTR better. No big ugly battle, more elves and dwarves. More varied places, more positive. TTT is pretty depressing. I'm that way with the books also. FoTR is much more "beautiful" and appealing to my artist's eye. The Shire, Rivendell, Lothlorien, Moria...good stuff! "
Hmm. While BB may not agree, this is actually an argument for keeping the films more (I didn't say slavishly so) to the book in the TT. There would be a briefer battle, and a number of places that, while some would be "dark", would be interesting to an artist. How about Ithilien in general- and Henneth Annun in particular, Minas Morgul and its fields, the stairs of Cirith Ungol, Shelob's lair, (PJ did do a great job on the Dead Marshes and Emyn Muil), and Minas Morgul has been moved to ROTK in the movies.
There's also Fangorn Forest (with a lesser battle more could have been done there) and Pippin and Gandalf riding to Minas Tirith.
But it is true that the last two thirds of LOTR is increasingly halfling and human centered. Some legitimate elf and dwarf interest could also be incorporated by giving brief scenes by PJ of the orc attacks on Lorien and the Battle of Dale, easily explained with Gandalf voiceovers before, during, or after Pelennor Fields.

While I understand why The Scouring of the Shire is out, I'm still not convinced that it would have been dramatically impossible to move some of the TT book material from the ROTK movie to the TT movie (cutting back on the trek to and Battle of Helm's Deep, and then put a fairly short, movie reworked version of the shire incidents in ROTK as a bracket for the three movies.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:16 PM   #32
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I personally think you can't separate the two. They are part of the same story. Once ROTK comes out, the separate identities of all three movies will blur as fans come to look at the entire film series as one big story (the same as people feel about the books.)
I hardly aggree. It might just be me, but I didn't feel a smooth transition from FOTR to TTT. These movies are greatly seperated in my opinion. I highly doubt that even with the ROTK that they will blend together.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:19 PM   #33
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yeah, I agree how TTT could've been more "beautiful". This was made apparent to me again, when I bought the new page a day calendar for 2004. (from TTT) I LOVED my FoTR calendar for 2003. So many beautiful scenes and character shots. Sigh!
TTT one is yuck! At least two thirds of the pictures are dark, almost poorer quality shots of Helms deep type battle scenes, or ....ick...Gollum! Like I want to look at his ugly bug eyed puss on a daily basis!

Last edited by Lizra : 11-04-2003 at 05:22 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:09 PM   #34
Bridgette
Enting

*reminds self to think twice before purchasing TT Day-by-day* I think i like FotR better. I agree, it is was more artisticly intriging (not that that is a big factor for me personally), and it didn't jump from character to character, place to place. Mostly, the scenes weren't to long or to short, making it not quite so...... dull in some places. (Reading that would make you think I dislike TTT, but I actually don't. I think its brill!)
Old 11-05-2003, 05:54 AM   #35
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I have a theory: (clears throat)

The brontosaurus was very thin at one end, very thick in the middle and...
oops, sorry wrong theory

People who loved the books liked FOTR best; people who hadn't read the books liked TTT best.

However, I'll go for ROTK if they have me in it. And if they have me saying "what's become o his weskit?" I'll go mental and run round the cinema with my shirt over my head like footballers do when they score the winning goal
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:01 AM   #36
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Both of the first two films will pale in comparison to The Return of the King. None other than Elijah Wood, himself, said ROTK is better than 1 and 2 combined.

The countdown is beginning!!!
Old 11-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #37
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Both of the first two films will pale in comparison to The Return of the King. None other than Elijah Wood, himself, said ROTK is better than 1 and 2 combined.

The countdown is beginning!!!
Do you think the star of the movie would say any different? He also said that TTT was way better then FotR and that turned out to be a lie.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:17 AM   #38
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Melko Belcha
Do you think the star of the movie would say any different? He also said that TTT was way better then FotR and that turned out to be a lie.
Your quote is a lie. Wood said many things contrasting the first two films, that didn't happen to be one of them.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:29 AM   #39
azalea
Long lost mooter

FYI

I merged the new thread with the already existing thread of the same subject.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:33 AM   #40
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Your quote is a lie. Wood said many things contrasting the first two films, that didn't happen to be one of them.
Ha you are pretty straight forward Oh look I'm talking to myself.