Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2003, 11:50 AM   #21
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
You dodn't know what a numpad is?
Wow!

Any way its the thing on the right of your keyboard with numbers on
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 11:58 AM   #22
Iron McFist
Hobbit

Old 01-03-2003, 12:02 PM   #23
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

oh okay. thanx

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
gimli-son-of-gloin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 12:32 PM   #24
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
Because PCs actually do what you tell them to. And they have enough memory to do more than simple jobs.
Have you ever been on an Imac?
It can do all kinda stuff. It has tons of memory thankyou. Can you store thousands of songs on your PC?

And IMcF nowadays yoyu can get almost anything for the mac if you look hard enough.

You just dont like to explore. Thats your problem.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 01:04 PM   #25
Iron McFist
Hobbit

Quote:
Have you ever been on an Imac?
Yeah. If we ever have to do research or type up a paper in the school library, it's only Macs that they have. Must be those fruity colors!

Quote:
It can do all kinda stuff. It has tons of memory thankyou. Can you store thousands of songs on your PC?
Yes, I do have over a thousand songs. Why?
PCs have 90% of the share of software made by companies.
Also, let's compare.

APPLE ($1194): 40gig HD, 128 MB RAM, 700 MHz processor
COMPAQ (not the best, mind you at $1048): 80gig HD, 512 MB RAM, 2.4 GHz processor

Hell, for slightly less, you get double or more power.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:16 PM   #26
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

*shakes head* Some people never learn... I never liked imacs. I am, however, a big Mac user. We have a G4 and it rocks! My dad bought a second hard drive to go on it as well so we have tons of space. The main reason I like Macs so much is becuase they are very, very user friendly. When I use the PCs we have at school and an error comes up, I hardly ever know what it means or how to fix it - and this is not because I use a Mac all the time, either. None of the people around me usually know what to do, and we have to get our typing teacher to come try and fix it. And she usually ends up just restarting the computer! When an error comes up on my computer at home, even if I've never seeen it before, I can usually figure out what it means and what to do. And if I can't, I can call my dad in and between us it'll be figured out within 10 mins. Also the school's PCs - and most that I've seen - crash frequently. We've had this G4 for a little over a year now, are on it every day, and it has not crashed once. Ever! As for the poor software selection for Macs? I believe the people who choose not to make as much software for Macs are simply not enlightened. Plus I am very lucky where I live to have a Mac Resource 45 mins. away from home. They not only sell Macs and the stuff that goes with them, but they also have a large selection of software just for Macs - games like The Sims, Warcraft III, and Civilization III. Finally - and this might just be me - on a PC I feel boxed in. They're so.....blocky, I guess that's the word. When I come home to my Mac, I feel like I know what I'm doing and that I can go anywhere and do whatever I want to on this thing. I feel free! It's corny, I know, but it's true. So, that's my little soapbox. Have a nice day!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 02:27 PM   #27
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron McFist
COMPAQ (not the best, mind you at $1048): 80gig HD, 512 MB RAM, 2.4 GHz processor
That means absoulutely nothing to me as i am no computer whizz that knows about GHz, RAM's.etc.

And nicely put galadriel88!

Old 01-03-2003, 03:04 PM   #28
Iron McFist
Hobbit

I guess it's just different people's luck. In my experience, the Macs in school are just as unstable as what you've said. I guess it might be overuse and naughty little students messing around with stuff.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:27 PM   #29
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I prefer HPs Right now I have a Compaq and it crashes soooo much....but then again, I do have a hacker friend I talk to...maybe thats it
Old 01-03-2003, 03:58 PM   #30
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

could be firekitten2006.....could be *evil grin*

Old 01-03-2003, 07:35 PM   #31
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
PCs are more powerful, there's a wealth more hardware and software available to PC users, you can actually tweak with your computer, and PCs are cheaper all around.
Actually macs are more powerful machines. Windows is based on old technology and so is the Intel chip. Macs allow better graphics and far better at handling video. PC systems with the Windows operating system are very unstable because of all the memory manipulation it has to do to get beyond the old MSDos and 640k limits. XP and Windows NT have tried to overcome some of these limits - but still has not been able to fully overcome them.

The best personal computer ever made was the Amiga. It had true multitasking, being able to print out to 3 printers at the same time, format two floppies at the same time and still continue to work on multiple programs at the same time. Also - at the time it had far better graphics than the PC ever had. Sadly the machine wasn't marketed well and most people viewed it as only a game machine. That is everyone, except Hollywood. The Amiga was used to demonstrate that the dinosaurs in Juarasic Park could be computer generated and be realistic. It was used for the graphics in a multitude of commericials and music videos and it was all used to produce Babylon - the old sci-fi TV show. The Amiga was also very expandable, easy to use and inexpensive.

Both the Amiga and Mac are based on the more advanced Motorola 68000 series chip.

Generally the only people that find PCs acceptable - are people that aren't in the computer industry. Microsoft only controls the industry - not by making good products - but by putting their competion out of business or buying them out. Once Microsoft kills off it's competition in any particular area - it stops innovating. I've seen this too many times. There was a spreadsheet application that Borland had developed called Quattro Pro. It was always two versions ahead in functionality over Excel. Microsoft started giving away Excel for free (yes, at one point Excel was free, now I think it costs $400). Borland of course couldn't give Quattro pro away free - it was their main product. Now that Quattro Pro has been eliminated - Microsoft hasn't done a major revision of Excel in 10 years other than making sure that it works with the newest Windows operating systems and of course forcing people to upgrade.

Most computer people hate Microsoft - because their programs and operating systems are so unstable and they do things behind the scenes that prevents other programs from operating properly on Windows. Microsoft, or as I call them - Microsucks - doesn't play fair. The computer industry would be a lot further along if Microsucks didn't control 90% of the PCs in the world.

I have to use the PC - I'm a computer programmer and I develop windows applications. I'm moving more to the web - so hopefully I can get further away from Windows. I plan on getting a mac so I can do more graphics work and another computer that has a dual-boot system so I can run Linux and Windows on the same machine.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-03-2003 at 07:41 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:55 PM   #32
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

it doesn't matter what type of comp you use in a school. schools cram too much crap on their systems, and then you get little numbskulls who like to delete important programs.
bascially, school computers crash.
ive got a compaq in my basement, it's from oh, 95 or 94, it's got about five to seven different viruses on it, and it can STILL beat the snot out of our school computers, which were new last year.

( my other computer is so old, it's from back when people thought that the CPU had to be attached to the monitor. )
Old 01-04-2003, 01:26 AM   #33
Smaug
Enting

Funny how this has degenerated a bit into a Intel Inside-Idiot Outside/Megalo$oft vs crApple/MacInTrash thread...

I like the way Apple has made new and cool stuff like the old iMac, the G4 PowerCube, and now the new iMac.

At the same time, I'm glad that Microsoft finally got Windows right with XP. I heard Win2K was good as well, but the Windows XP Public Preview started around the time I was ready to upgrade to 2000, so I ended up going from WinMe to the beta and release candidate versions of Windows XP.

Hopefully it's not too big a sin to go off-topic on the 'moot.
Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 02:10 AM   #34
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
At the same time, I'm glad that Microsoft finally got Windows right with XP.
They did?

I run a pc with Win XP and I've spent ages downloading the patches microsoft periodically churn out. The security gaps in xp are shocking

Win 2k........blech, you'd be better off sticking to Win '98

I also run a Mac, mainly for Quarke (Macs have brilliant graphic capabilities).

I also run a pc (2.6 Ghz and a Gig of Ram) I built the pc myself, in the UK you can save a fortune building ya own, and it's my "jobbing computer".........it's pretty stable (well it hasn't crashed and burned yet).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 02:33 AM   #35
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
They did?

I run a pc with Win XP and I've spent ages downloading the patches microsoft periodically churn out. The security gaps in xp are shocking

Win 2k........blech, you'd be better off sticking to Win '98
In the computer industry people joke about Microsofts QA department or seeming lack of one - since basically it's comprised of the end users. Microsoft really doesn't need to do QA testing - they force their customers to upgrade and then eventually people will call and report the problems to them.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-04-2003, 02:39 AM   #36
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
In the computer industry people joke about Microsofts QA department or seeming lack of one - since basically it's comprised of the end users. Microsoft really doesn't need to do QA testing - they force their customers to upgrade and then eventually people will call and report the problems to them.
Very true........XP even comes with a handy window that offers to send a report direct to microsoft if a program crashes .........must be close to being the biggest database in existance now

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 02:39 AM   #37
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hi, gimli-son-of-gloin13 - just for your info, there are a couple of us that can't get the special characters to work, even with num lock and keypad - that's why I put the special characters in my sig, so I can cut and paste them - silly, but it works.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:01 AM   #38
jerseydevil

Quote:

Hell, for slightly less, you get double or more power.
You can't really compare Hz from computer to computer. Windows operating system is extremely bloated - it needs that power in order to run at a descent speed. Mac has a more streamlined operating system - also it has other chips that handle graphics. the CPU on the mac isn't carrying the full load like it is on a PC.

Also - mac compress files into smaller sizes so you don't need to have the huge hard drives to save programs, like you do on a PC. Another thing - when you install a windows program - even if a particular dll is already there - it'll save another copy. You may have tons of duplicate "programlets" all over your system taking up disk space on a pc. Generally with the mac - at least the Amiga worked this way and the Mac was very similar - it would look to see if the program already existed and use that one instead. It didn't repeatedly duplicate the same support files over and over again.

Here is an easy way to see how many duplicate DLLs you have taking up disk space (don't delete any though). Go into Windows explorer and do a search on the C drive for "*.dll" then click on name to sort the list by the file name. As an example I have about 14 different copies of rpclts6.dll. Since this is a systems file and stored in windows/system - I shouldn't really need this anywhere else on the computer. But i do - because windows doesn't manage this very well. Basically any program that uses this file - seems to include it with their installation - so a dupliate file gets saved to my computer and takes up space.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-04-2003 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:22 AM   #39
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Actually ya know what, i changed my mind my fave puter of all time is a 386 they work forever! one time i looked into having somone make it able to connect to the internet, actually i got close but of course my mom was on the phone and it was just a fax thing *sigh*

but ya know what is probably the ultimate hacking computer is one of those MSN Companions. They dont save ANYTHING, no coookies, nothing. Of course I have never hacked, but from what my friend said, it would be a handy puter. And also when you do a mouse over a link it highlights it. Kinda hard to explain, but ya know how after you click on a link theres that lil dashed line thing around it? it does that before it clicks So other than being VERY slow at times, and probably the worst connection speed, i think it has possibilty
Old 01-04-2003, 08:03 AM   #40
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Sheesh what have i started!

Maybe we should have a thread 'PC's v Mac's'

What do ya think ?