Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-1999, 02:36 PM   #21
Darth Tater

Re: John Williams should compose the music for LotR

I think they confirmed it. The guy sounds like he knows what he's doing, though I've never heard his work.
Old 11-03-1999, 06:12 PM   #22
Quaff Down Gin

"In particular, I'm curious how the Balrog will sound. Like, will it make this etheral hiss like the Aliens or a tembloring, trembling bass roar like the Sando Aqua Monster?" -- Hernalt I just read "The Letters of JRR Tolkien" and in one of the letters he insists emphatically that the Balrogs do not speak, roar, howl or anything of that sort. They are basically mute. So what does that leave us with? Heavy breathing? I personally hope the movie stays true to this, simply because Tolkien was so adamant about it. Besides, the Witch King will do PLENTY of screaming and shreiking, as will the goblins. Stay with the book... stay with the book... If there is any question, stay with the book. That is my advice.
Old 11-03-1999, 09:41 PM   #23
bmilder

But... that's boring ! :P I've always pictured the Balrog making deep roar noises. It's bad enough that they're sticking to the Tolkien pronounciations (Sauron, etc. ), and now this? Geez, you'd think the guy had a right to decide in advance how his own book was filmed :P.
Old 11-03-1999, 10:11 PM   #24
galadriel1

Re: bmilder

From what I understand, the rumor is true about Wojchiech composing th music. I believe he is set to begin in about 5 or 6 months when there`s some film to look at. He`s an incredible composer. Should be great. Go to www.fandom.com and go to the Ringbearer site. It just moved there. It IS a fan site, not an official site, but the info sounds like it`s a done deal. Check it out but be warned: Fandom is very slow at times and can be frustrating to get into. I do wish they would use some Enya for the Lothlorien scenes. She does a lot of instrumental music as well as vocal. To me, her music IS Lothlorien. She even has a song called Lothlorien. She has an instrumental on "The Memory of Trees" cd called "Pax Deorum" that would be cool riding into battle music. It would be perfect for the Rohan riding to the aid of Gondor scenes.
Old 11-04-1999, 02:43 PM   #25
Hernalt

OooF! Quaff caught me in the gut on that Balrog thing!! Dag, that hurt.
Old 11-05-1999, 01:40 AM   #26
Darth Tater

Personally I think if the drums are done well during the Balrog scene it will be enough to send anyone insane!
Old 11-07-1999, 11:47 AM   #27
Quaff Down Gin

DRUMS!!!

Yes! I agree about the drums! This scene has the potential to be so awesome! Enya would be a beautiful choice for some songs, Galadriel! In fact, I have often pictured Middle Earth events while listening to her music.
Old 11-07-1999, 04:56 PM   #28
bmilder

Re: DRUMS!!!

Well, I'd still like to hear a roar, but the way I hear they're religiously following Tolkien's wishes, that's not gonna happen . . The drums could be sort of like Darth Maul's appearances in TPM. He didn't make any "noises" either and people still thought he was a great villain .
Old 11-09-1999, 10:19 PM   #29
galadriel1

Going back a bit to an earlier post of yours, I just noticed that Serra s doing the music for the Messenger - the Joan of Arc movie. I`ll go see it just to hear the score. Should be some great scenery, also. Just to let you know.
Old 11-10-1999, 12:00 AM   #30
Jaro

Composers

This is off the top of my head, so they might be wrong.. John Williams - we all know Danny Elfman - Beetlejuice, Nightmare Before Christmas, Men in Black Eric Serra - Fifth Element (remember the Diva's song? wow) James Horner - Titanic, Braveheart Michael Kamen - Even Horizon, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.. never heard of the other guy, though.... And as for Balrog's sound.. I think deathly silence would be much, much more frightening. We, in the audience could do nothing but look at it, in all its horrifying qualities, and feel the terror that our poor Fellowship is feeling. That, or a choir going wild with a full orchestra. Wowsers.
Old 11-16-1999, 02:16 AM   #31
Darth Tater

Re: Composers

I still think just drums would be plenty. Well, I don't mean just drums, but I think the music should greately complement them for that part, and be secondary. I porbably won't see my wish fulfilled, but the way I imagine those drums is just incredible. I love me imagination!
Old 01-04-2000, 04:29 AM   #32
IronParrot

Here's what I think... John Williams should DEFINITELY have been the one chosen to do it, ON THE CONDITION that Johan de Meij was not available. If any of you have heard de Meij's "Lord of the Rings" symphony... (I have another thread up about it) well, I'm sure like me you'd like to hear it fleshed out to span the ENTIRE span of LOTR, instead of the few major plot points and characters it covers now. Similar to my complaint about how the Romeo and Juliet films should all have taken the Mussorgsky and Tchaikovsky scores and fleshed them out, instead of starting from scratch.
Old 01-04-2000, 01:41 PM   #33
Fat middle

I´ve picked this from TOR.n (it comes from a chat with Lorena Mckennit) Q: A murmur had circulated that you might participate in the soundtrack of THE LORD OF THE RINGS film, is it right? LM: That has been an overture. I am not completely clear where that stands at the moment. I´d like Lorena were chosen at least for the elvish songs (though Enya could be also a good option she´s begining to be too repetitive). I don´t know if Lorena may be able to write the whole score. I think that hobbits songs cannot sound in the same style as elvish: elvish could be celtic, but hobbits songs could sound more contemporary. They often sing rhytmic(sp?) songs with an important kidding element. I think it could sound like some of the songs of the english film Oliver: "umpapa...", "you gotta pick a pocket or two"... merry songs. (out of topic): IronParrot for Romeo & Juliet i prefer Prokofiev´s: very dramatic and less candy-like.
Old 01-05-2000, 04:13 AM   #34
IronParrot

Prokofiev! That's who I forgot!
Old 01-05-2000, 05:26 AM   #35
Elanor

Ooh, we played that in my city youth symphony! It's very cool. I think that there are many less well-known composers who would do a great job. John Williams is great, but I for one would like to hear different styles of music, from many people.