Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-02-2002, 06:04 PM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*slaps forehead*

How could I forget Runaway Ralph, Alice, or Wind in the Willows?!
Old 10-02-2002, 06:48 PM   #22
osszie
Elven Warrior

, oh and for the kids of today (have consulted best friends children)

Harry Potter (surprise surprise) and the T. Pratchett Trucker, Diggers and Wings books!

And apperently they read Point fiction, fantasy, horror etc........although personally I know nowt about these

And from me personally I forgot the Robert Louis Stephenson books, Kidnapped et al..........how did I forget those they were great

this is a brilliant trip down memory lane. Draken how about a lil' Prefab Sprout for your siggy
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:04 PM   #23
azalea
Long lost mooter

Lizra, I too used to read the encyclopedias! My parents bought us a set of 1969 World Books, and my favorite was the section on costumes, where it pictured the traditional clothes of each major era in history, and clothes from around the world. The funny part is where they show "clothing of today," and you see 1969 type clothing (it was about 1978 when we got the set -- they still have it). I know now that sets of encyclopedias are becoming rare -- everyone gets theirs on cd. But I bought a used set of Britannicas at a library book sale because I still like to browse without getting a headache from staring at the screen for that long!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 03:10 AM   #24
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

The books I read when I was a child:

*Any book by Roald Dahl: they books were disgusting and funny, the kind of thing you love as a kid.

*The Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley Series: yes, I'm embaressed about them, but I did learn a lot about American culture.

*Nancy Drew

*Those choose your own adventure books
Old 10-05-2002, 12:48 PM   #25
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I always read the 'choose your own adventure books' straight through just for the heck of it

I shamefully admit to reading the Babysitter Club books, too. That is, until my mom picked one up and decided there wasn't anything worthwhile in them, and told me not to read them anymore. Thanks, Mom!

Did you know that Robert Louis Stevenson went diving (this is in the 19th century, when they had those funny suits and helmet, and someone on the boat is pumping air down to you) off the coast of Scotland for the adventure of it?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 06:06 AM   #26
sun-star
Lady of Letters

This has reminded me of lots of books I used to love: Alice in Wonderland is fantastic! Honourable mention as well (since it hasn't been mentioned yet) to Mary Norton's series about the Borrowers - like hobbits, but smaller and living in houses (so not like hobbits at all...). There was a great TV version of it with Ian Holm too, if anyone remembers that.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:07 PM   #27
Draken
Elf Lord

Anyone ever read any of the Moomintrolls books? I vaguely recall them - they were quite bizarre and dark at times. I think they were from Finland originally. Not sure who the author was, but I'll have a pint of whatever they were on!

Osszie - hmm yes, the Sprouts, Langley Moor's contribution to 80s culture! (or was it Langley Park, always get those mixed up). Might well do.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:03 PM   #28
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

If I were to recommend children's literature? Here are the must-reads:

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (possibly a difficult read for the youngest of the young, but there is no excuse for not reading this)

- Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. He also wrote thirteen sequels to it, which mostly have to be read in sequence, and they're good reads (though they really begin to slow down a bit after #6, The Emerald City of Oz...)

- The Harry Potter saga for sure.

- The Hobbit - may be a difficult read at that level, but... quintessential. I'm sure you all understand.

- Something, just something, by Roald Dahl. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is of course the perennial favourite, but I've always had a thing for Fantastic Mr. Fox... that was the first book I read to my brother, when he was a little over a year old, probably.

After those absolute priorities are out of the way:

- Many have mentioned Lewis' Narnia... I never got into it too much myself as a kid, but I recommend that people read it while they're young enough that the Christian allegory in it is not so overt and in-your-face, as it appears when you're older.

- Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising is highly recommended.

- As far as youth sci-fi goes, I grew up on Monica Hughes, and although it's pretty deeply rooted in Western Canada, I'm sure it's applicable outside...

- Lois Lowry's The Giver for anyone who's mature enough to handle it. I didn't read it until I was perhaps eleven, but that's mostly because that's when it was first published.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:06 PM   #29
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

The Noddy books, by Enid Blyton - my grandparents used to live in South Africa and would send me one of these for my birthday when I was quite young. Still wonderful books! Also each of my cousins and I received a Noddy doll, handmade my my grandmother, when we were born. I still have mine.

Little House on the Prarie series, by Laura Ingalls Wilder - my love for these books started when a lady that goes to church with me gave me and my best friend both copies of the first book in the series, Little House in the Big Woods, for KG graduation. I read it and begged my mom to get me the rest, so over time, I got the rest of the books and finished the series. A timeless classic for any little girl.

Winnie the Pooh, by A.A. Milne - when I was about 3 the BP gas stations offered a deal where you could buy a set of books with one chapter each of the real book. My dad bought them for me, and I still remember my mom reading them to me.

The American Girls series, various authors - A series of books based on the dolls that went with them. Short books, good messages.

The Babysitters Club and Babysitters Little Sister series, by Ann M. Martin - Yes, I admit it, I used to love these books! And don't be too quick to say they don't have anything worth reading in them - I remember one book that dealt with child abuse. Very educational.

The Wind in the Willows - I have loved this book ever since I discovered it in the bookcase in the living room. Wonderful stories!

More later...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:33 PM   #30
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

Actually, I used to love the Sweet Valley series. I also love the Wind in the Willows.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:24 PM   #31
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Anybody out there remember the 'Grandma's Attic' books?

You know, I think I appreciate winnie the pooh so much more now than I did when I was a kid.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:28 PM   #32
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You could always try some traditional fairy tales. I was always absolutely horried and fascinated by some of Grimms adaptions, as well as Hans Christian Andersen.... I remember a particularly gory story about red dancing shoes, and a sad one about a couple who wanted a child, and got a snow child....

And Edward Lear is always fun!
Old 10-19-2002, 07:07 PM   #33
Sween
im quite stupid

i allways liked there wheres wally books wheres waldo for our american friends
Old 10-20-2002, 04:17 PM   #34
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
i allways liked there wheres wally books wheres waldo for our american friends
lol, I loved those too!

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 06:14 PM   #35
azalea
Long lost mooter

I have The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm. Yeah, there are some heavy stories in there. I think The Tinder Box is one of theirs; that's pretty weird. I also have an old hardcover edition of Hans Christian Anderson's stories. Oscar Wilde had some good fairy tales.
A book I always loved as a kid was The House with the Clock in its Walls by John Belliars. There was a sequel called The Figure in the Shadows. They're both fantasy mysteries about a boy staying with his uncle(?), who happens to be a warlock, if I remember. They were written many years ago, and I think the author did more of the same series, but I'm not sure. I loved them and they're definately worth reading.
Another I alwas liked was From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. It was made into a TV movie when I was a kid (I think with Anne Bancroft, not sure), and then was remade more recently (6 or 8 years ago).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:06 AM   #36
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

All of the titles that have been mentioned are excellent. Some that havn't been mentioned:
My all-time favorite was Charlotte's Web and also Stuart Little by E.B. White and The Selfish Giant a short story by Oscar Wilde.
And for a little more advanced than JK Rowling-- The Old Man and the Sea (Hemingway) and all Ray Bradbury--The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, etc.

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 11-08-2002 at 10:08 AM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 11:49 AM   #37
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Wow, what a great compilation. That kid of mine has a whole heap o books coming his way this Xmas!

The old tales are hellish gruesome and un-PC. You'd get sued for writing that stuff these days. There's some great "real" fairy tales in a groovy book called Faeries by Brian Froud and Alan Lee (the same one who did the design for LoTR).
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:16 AM   #38
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Ooh might have to get that one for my collection of fairy stories. Have you read the Bloody Chamber- its a compilation of the old fairytales from which sprung stuff like beauty and the beast, cinderella etc- its pretty grim reading and you'll never look at Disney the same way again. I'm a big Narnia fan I have to admit. I had real problems reading when I was a kid because of my bad eye sight but everytime I got better Ma would let me read some of Narnia and I just fell in love with it- then came LOTR of course! I even have a photo of me (And this is recent history) on a stone table in the middle of MuckRoss House, Co. Kerry, Ireland doing an Aslan impression- Arghhh! The embarrassment of it all. Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 12:56 PM   #39
Duddun
I Antha

I really loved Roald Dahl books. I loved Where's Waldo too. I really can't think of anymore right now, it's the morning.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 05:34 PM   #40
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I liked Roald Dahl to infact i still do especially Matilda!!
I also used to love Enid Blyton i read all her books they were sooo good! I've still got them all!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote