Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2002, 05:40 PM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

If anything, I thought they portrayed Sam's loyalty MORE effectively in the film (in some ways, anyway.)
Old 08-05-2002, 09:45 PM   #22
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Well, I thought Sam was less servant and more friend in the movie. See, I saw the movie then read the book, and the book was all "Sam, go do the cooking" sortsa stuff (no offense to anyone! Please don't kill me for that!) and the movie was a lot more laid-back sort of.
Apologies for the weird language in this post, I don't usually sound like this... Maybe it's cos I have a cold... *blows nose*
Lanelf

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:59 PM   #23
Llark silverwolf
Banned

Its sad sam has to do cooking sam is the best and he should be frodos friend not servent merry should do that
Llark silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 12:17 AM   #24
niggle
Hobbit

One of the good things in the book is the way in which Sam changes over time from being Frodo's servant (which he really is at the start of the book) to being his friend and equal. Of the four hobbits in the story, Merry and Pippin are from old rich families (in Hobbit terms) and Frodo is also independently wealthy partly because of Bilbo's share in the Smaug treasure. Sam is really the only working class hobbit of the three.
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:45 PM   #25
Celandine
Elven Warrior

Gollum

I can't wait, two towers comes out in 4 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gollums is gonna be so good!!!!!! I can't wait.
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 05:01 PM   #26
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
If anything, I thought they portrayed Sam's loyalty MORE effectively in the film (in some ways, anyway.)
Wow, that's not something you here everyday. BoP complimenting the movie. Wierd...
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 05:05 PM   #27
Sween
im quite stupid

Oh how we mock BoP . are you looking 4ward to two towers BoP? I would love to be in the cinima with you as you watch it just to see you get redder and and redder as the rage builds.

The next movies going to be a very fragmented film as the books are from here on in.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:35 PM   #28
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I don't get red when my rage builds up, I fidget and throw popcorn. And make other peoples lives miserable. (Watch out for that vortex)

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-06-2002 at 05:37 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 05:37 PM   #29
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Llark silverwolf
Its sad sam has to do cooking sam is the best and he should be frodos friend not servent merry should do that
What a big load of cow poo.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:28 PM   #30
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I for one appreciate the fact that some folks show some proper respect for the subject we are discussing by bothering to use proper grammar and spell correctly.

We ARE discussing the works of an Oxford professor of languages, for Pete's sake. This twisted sub-Orcish some folks try to pass off as a lame attempt to communicate is insulting to the Master's memory. The man worked his entire life to analyze languages and produced the greatest work of literature of the twentieth century, yet some write like they never picked up a book with "hard words."

Professor Tolkien wrote incredibly nuanced books and the films try to relate that subtlety, even though they may fall short from time to time. However, show some respect for a life's work and for the memory of a great and talented writer by working on your writing skills. Use his writing as an example and improve your ability to exchange ideas. Writing like a chimpanzee with a rap album lyric sheet and a typewriter is no way to present a persuasive argument.

I'm pretty sure at least one thread has already posed the question of what people are looking forward to seeing in TTT.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 08-06-2002 at 07:29 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 09:45 PM   #31
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Well, I for one appreciate the fact that some folks show some proper respect for the subject we are discussing by bothering to use proper grammar and spell correctly.

We ARE discussing the works of an Oxford professor of languages, for Pete's sake. This twisted sub-Orcish some folks try to pass off as a lame attempt to communicate is insulting to the Master's memory. The man worked his entire life to analyze languages and produced the greatest work of literature of the twentieth century, yet some write like they never picked up a book with "hard words."

Professor Tolkien wrote incredibly nuanced books and the films try to relate that subtlety, even though they may fall short from time to time. However, show some respect for a life's work and for the memory of a great and talented writer by working on your writing skills. Use his writing as an example and improve your ability to exchange ideas. Writing like a chimpanzee with a rap album lyric sheet and a typewriter is no way to present a persuasive argument.

I'm pretty sure at least one thread has already posed the question of what people are looking forward to seeing in TTT.
spelling and respect are not even on the same line for me!
i can't spell because the spelling rules make no sence to me!
believe me, i try to spell right, but, it is just so hard!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:30 PM   #32
Entlover
Elven Warrior

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bropous yet some write like they never picked up a book with "hard words."
__________________________________________________ __

They probably haven't. You make some excellent points, but keep in mind most mooters are 13 and 14 year olds. Getting them to read a book at all is a triumph, ( at least a step in the right direction).

Samwiselv, you're absolutely right, English spelling makes little sense. You just have to memorize and practice.
"Wrong" has a W in it.
Actually, I think spelling well is a genetic trait, like eye color.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 03:40 AM   #33
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Bropous - you sound like a teacher I had at school - he talked utter bo***x too. Close the blinds and have a nap, things always seem better after a nap.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 12:11 PM   #34
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous

Right mate first of all we aint all d***heads like yourself and seeing as we are in the movie forum lets talk about the movie. Spelling and gramar oh sorry mate i am affraid some of us struggle no matter how i try. I am dislexic and i take great offence to anyone who is so pigheaded and stupid (in there own spelt correctally way) makes me mad. If you were here i would hit you honest to god.

Its people like you that make us less abled so damn mad and feel so low sometimes. Now get your head out ur ass. Prick
Old 08-08-2002, 03:10 PM   #35
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Those who revel in their ignorance deserve ignorance best.

Good points, Entlover. I do forget the age group from time to time.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:30 PM   #36
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Sween, refrain from threatening someone with violence because they said something you don't like. That just ain't cool, little man, and furthermore it is the mark of a total coward who makes threats anonymously and from a distance. Just 'cause someone hurt your feelings is no reason to lash out like that. Bad form, bro.

Take offense with my comments if you care to, but don't throw around threats. Violent threat in lieu of reasoned retort is simply not what we do here.

If spelling and grammar offend you so much, then mayhaps communicating in written language just isn't your forte. It is obviously beyond your capacity to challenge discourse with reasoned argument, and therefore you resort to violent threat. One could easily classify that variety of response as "australopithicean."

In my (unofficial) opinion, threatening another poster with violent action should be grounds for removal from the Moot. I can take any disagreement which comes down the pike just fine. When some frustrated individual, for whom written language is an insurmountable hurdle, threatens someone else for pointing out that individual's inability to communicate cogently, then that individual does not need to interact with others who can discuss ideas in a peaceful, albeit at times testy, manner.

My heart bleeds for your handicap, and best of luck (sincerely) in overcoming it. However, I hope you mouth off like this in real life face-to-face to someone who will teach you a little lesson about cordiality and how to be an effective, contributing member of a society. I hobble with a broken ankle from mountain climbing, child, and yet I don't go around hitting marathon runners. Analyze that analogous response for a few. Apology accepted in advance.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:38 PM   #37
Sween
im quite stupid

lol soz mate just had a bad day at work. But i do asure you i do practice what i preach and if it was verbal i would most likly come out on top. Because of dislexia i have a verbal 1q of 170-180. I just cannot write any stuff down.

But also the same applies to you my friend do not make ill of people that cannot spell because for many people it is simply beyond our reach no matter how many extra hours blood sweet and tears we put in. Do not make broad sweeping statements about who should be posting on this board. I am sure tolkien would of been proud that people were inspired by his books to try and expresses themselves in a medium uncomon to them.

Oh and if you said what you posted in public round my area i am affraid you would have to be a fast runner. Its not that we cannot spell round here its just we do not suffer people that think they are superior and argrance.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:53 PM   #38
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Not to nitpick, but australopithecus hominids are actually hypothesized to be less violent than sapiens.

I have to agree with the point Sween was trying to pull across (though not the violence that was unnecessarily applied) - academic snobbery is annoying at best. We all have different ways of approaching the written medium. If you don't like a particular writing style, then ignore it, simple as that. Resorting to "telling them off" isn't going to make them type more "appropriately." As Entlover said, quite a few of them are young kids, and the very fact that they are posting on here, and discussing the Great Master is a tribute to Tolkien's wonderful contribution to literature.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-08-2002 at 06:14 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 06:04 PM   #39
Sween
im quite stupid

Just snobby acedmics bring out the worst in me. Ive had to deal with them all my life putting me down and nothing gets me more angry. Unfortnally acedmics do tend to see challenged people opinions as meaningless and you cannot win an argueement with them because they dismiss what you say sometimes you just have to beat it into them sad but true
Old 08-08-2002, 06:15 PM   #40
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Keep this on-topic please.

Viggosbeard and Sween, comments that use vulgar expressions and threats of violence are considered flames, flaming is not permitted by Entmoot.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote