Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-13-2002, 06:55 PM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Which is why separation of the sexes in school is not a bad idea. Boys and girls learn differently and behave differently. Separate classes would be beneficial for both.
Oh yeah - that's lawsuit heaven - then each side could complain that the other isn't getting the same quality of teachers, the same supplies, the same adminstrative attention.

Not to mention - how are they supposed to learn how to deal with each other when they get into the 'real" world? Coed classes are a big part of learning how to respect one another.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-13-2002 at 06:58 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:58 PM   #22
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

But there's also a huge foundation to social activity between sexes in co'ed schools and classes. It's important to have grrls and bois meddle and do stuff together. ^_^

"Orange is the new pink, and men are the new women."
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:09 PM   #23
azalea
Long lost mooter

Oh, yeah, definately lawsuit heaven. It's too bad because it really could work. Heck, they could even just make it an option and see what happens (for instance, in an elementary school that has students enough for 4 classes, make 1 each for boys only/ girls only, and then 2 co ed).

I agree that mixing the sexes is greatly beneficial too, and that could be worked into the day. In high school, there could be some classes offered that would have one period of the class girls only, one period boys only. I think it's something for school to think about, and the students and teachers could evaluate it's effectivness. If it's not working, scrap it.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:14 PM   #24
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

Yeah, they could blend it in with PE or sports or something...

Oh, PE...

Old 06-13-2002, 07:19 PM   #25
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by noldo
Yeah, they could blend it in with PE or sports or something...

Oh, PE...
We had everything coed - including PE. There were somethings that only the guys did and the girls did - but we played soccer together, field hockey, track, volley ball, almost everything. We were seperate when it came to dodge ball (now being eliminated form schools as being too violent).

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-13-2002, 07:21 PM   #26
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

Yea, I thought so...
Is it good or bad then?
I wouldn't know, we've always had only single sex PE...

Old 06-13-2002, 07:34 PM   #27
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by noldo
Yea, I thought so...
Is it good or bad then?
I wouldn't know, we've always had only single sex PE...
It was just normal for us. I think it was good. We didn't really think about it though. In 7th and 8th grade we had seperate PE classes. But again - that wasn't really good or bad - it just was.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-13-2002, 10:18 PM   #28
BeardofPants
the Shrike

We had co-ed everything as well. Including rugby... (fondly remembers the time she was tackled by 3 heavy males at once. ) and swimming. Now if that's not enough to give you a complex!

I think it's gone too far. Honestly, you know there's a problem, when adults are impinging adult values upon children's activities!

Besides which, there comes the problems of institutionalisation. If you send a boy to a home, or jail to pay for an immature, irresponsible childish prank, then all it's going to do is convert that childish prankster into a hardened criminal! Remember that movie? You know the one that was based on the (fictional?) book by Lorenzo something or other, where they played that prank on the Hot Dog vendor, and accidentally killed him? "Sleepers". Okay, so it's worst case scenario, but still. Those boys got locked away for a prank, and two became mob guys. The line has to be drawn. It's just ridiculous to try and impinge adult values upon childish behaviour. Let the damned kids grow up first!

Last edited by BeardofPants : 06-13-2002 at 10:20 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 03:12 PM   #29
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Sticks and stones may break my bones
but words will never hurt me.
Ah, but the old rhyme lies.
Words, in too many cases, either hurt more than the bruises and cuts, or are the cause of the fight in the first place.
Then again, it is also true that words might often be the only possible comfort to offer.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous what people will sue for. Seems to me that adults forget too much what it's like to be kids, and then refuse to understand the way kids think. Zero Tolerance is stupid, too -- heck, everybody makes mistakes. If we didn't we'd not be human.
As for split-sex schools; well, they are available. I personally enjoy coed classes simply because I often get along with boys over girls, for whatever reason. "I don't run with many girls cause they talk too much " -- Caramel, City High.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 01:49 AM   #30
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Split-sex classes? *shudder* How horrible! You're cut off from half the human race!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:38 PM   #31
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
This is why I'm homeschooled. I didn't know this BS was goin' on until now.
With the Columbine thing I think it was even half way. The parents WERE'NT paying attention to what their kids were doing and they didn't care what they were doing. I mean the stinkers were making BOMBS in their GARAGE and the MOM didn't do ANYTHING. But it was also the boys faults because no one told them to take their guns and shoot down everyone who was popular,a christian,a different race,or anti rascist in that school, but the parents should have payed more attention to what they were doing.
And in certain areas I think parents SHOULD be blamed like in the case of the woman who sued the furniture store because she tripped over a little toddler that was running around and out of control and broke her ankle. The toddler was her own son and she WON the lawsuit. but in the case of that "Sexual Harrassment" thing...the little kid had no idea what that meant and he was booted from the school.
I am thankful I am homeschooled where I have just enough of this stupidity on the news that I dont have to put up with it in "school"
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 02:35 AM   #32
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
We had co-ed everything as well. Including rugby... (fondly remembers the time she was tackled by 3 heavy males at once. ) and swimming. Now if that's not enough to give you a complex!
Hmmm...interesting. In my experience, the girls have the advantage in contact sports because the heavy males are reluctant to tackle them. I suspect it has something to do with being afraid of hurting the girls and something to do with being afraid of ...umm...accidentally "touching" them in the wrong place. I find this phenomenon highly amusing. But I'll give them credit for being gentlemanly about it, I guess.

I suppose I should qualify that by saying that this was never a problem at the elementary school level, and I was in an all-girls school, where people play rough, at the secondary level, so I'm speaking purely from experience at the university recreational level. It's not like I'm on a varsity team or anything.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 02:37 AM   #33
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I wish that was true in NZ (or at least at my school - which was a rough school, I guess...) Boys take their "rugger" over here VERY seriously!
Old 08-05-2002, 09:16 PM   #34
jerseydevil

Here is another where will it end episode.

A ten year old being sued for taking a practice swing with a baseball bat at a picnic and hitting his friend in the mouth.

Quote:
......The case arose on Sept 20th 1998, when Luis Brilhante, 9 and Matthew Amaral, 10, both of Newark's Ironbound section, were at a picnic ar the Cruz Farm in Farmingdale to benefit St James Hospital. According to the court decision, they decided to play a game in which they took turns as pitcher and batter. Luis pitched, Matthew swung and missed, and Luis ran to get the ball.

The appeals court said the two boys gave conflicting versions of what happened next. Luis claimed that Matthew looked at him and took a practice swing anyway. Matthew claimed he did not know where Luis was when he swung the bat and would not have swung had he known his friend was so near.

The aluminun bat hit Luis in the face, breaking a bone and knocking out his front teeth, Monahan [Luis' lawyer] said.....

Luis' grandmotherand guardian, Isabel Costa, filed a lawsuit on his behalf.

Everyone agreed Matthew did not mean to hurt his friend, so the case turned on whether Matthew acted recklessly. Judge Carol Ferebtz ruled Matthew was too young to have done so, but the appeals court concluded a reasonable jury could find that he did.

In their unsigned opinion, Appellate Division Judges Jack Linter and Lorraine Parker noted there is a presumption in the law that a child younger than 7 is incapable of acting negligently, but it can be overcome by evidence that the child understood how to avoid the danger.

Monahan said he had handled cases in which courts allowed children as young as 5 to be sued. "There is no magic number," he said.

Star Ledger - August 3rd 2002 - Robert Schwaneberg.
I agree it's terrible that the boy got hurt, but does this really require a lawsuit and trial? Are parents supposed to be afraid of their children going over their friends house because something like this may happen and they may be dragged to court?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-06-2002, 01:24 AM   #35
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

That's just crazy. Now if the kid had intentionally hit the other kid in the face with the bat, it's another matter. But accidents happen. I got hit in the head with a baseball bat on a backswing when I was in the second grade, and did my parents go and file a lawsuit? No, because they knew that it wasn't on purpose and that accidents happen. It's a legal-action-happy world that we live in...

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 02:02 AM   #36
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Oy, people these days. Personally I wouldn't mind going to an all girls school. The boys in my classes are for the most part loud, rude, annoying, and real pains to be in a classroom with.
I haven't had much experience with the no tolerance stuff (though people in my school have, I try to stay out of trouble) but the curriculums in the washington school district are evil!! They're boring, they don't work and then there's all the testing and I think being a kindergarten teacher is driving mom slowly insane. The school officials these days need a heavy dose of sanity and reality, they're going way overboard with all these policies and tests and stuff.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 01:53 PM   #37
jerseydevil

Well I guess it's not just Americans that sue -

Quote:
Airline sued for $5 million over lost cat

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- A couple sued Air Canada for $5 million, claiming the airline lost their tabby cat during a flight from Canada to California.

Andrew Wysotski and Lori Learmont, formerly of Oshawa, Ontario, traveled to San Francisco with their 15-year-old cat, Fu, and four other cats last August.

They claim Air Canada, its cargo-handling company and San Francisco International Airport personnel are guilty of negligence, negligent infliction of emotional distress, fraud and false advertising.

"It's not about the money," Wysotski said. "It's more the attention to the problem than the money."

The August 16 filing in Superior Court said the couple got airline-approved plastic crates for the cats before they boarded the flight at Pearson International Airport, outside Toronto, Canada.

Upon arrival in San Francisco, Fu's crate had a large hole in a corner, the front door was broken and open, and the cat was gone, the claim said.

An Air Canada spokeswoman said that because of pending litigation, it "will confine its comments to legal proceedings."

The couple's attorney is David Blatte, an animal rights lawyer who represented a couple in their fight to save Hera, one of two dogs that attacked and killed a woman in front of her San Francisco apartment.
Do you think that $5 million is too much to ask for in this case? It sounds a little outrageous to me. They say it's not the money - but it seems like most people say that. I have a hard time believing it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-29-2002, 02:11 PM   #38
Nibs
Head Hollara

Not to mention that lawyer... helping to save a dog that, along with another dog, killed a woman? Sad.

Okay, I'll try not to tangentize this thread... if it isn't about the money, is there an equally effective way to draw attention to the apparent problem? I can't think of any.

Maybe the cat commited suicide... I'd hate to be called "Fu", myself.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:12 PM   #39
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i say sue for no more then 20,000 but not five million.

i don't know what i would do if someone lost one or more of my pets! breakdown and huddle in a corner maybe..

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 08-29-2002 at 02:13 PM.
LuthienTinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:25 PM   #40
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibs
if it isn't about the money, is there an equally effective way to draw attention to the apparent problem? I can't think of any.
The question is - is how serious is the problem. Something always happens. The world is not 100% safe - people take a chance everyday with anything they do. We can't expect the world to be 100% safe.

I would hate it if my dogs were lost on a plane or something - but I wouldn't sue for $5 million.

The other question - how much is the lawyer getting from this case? He doesn't work for free I'm sure. And he's probably one of those lawyers that suggest these type of lawsuits in the first place. Get's him publicity and money.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-29-2002 at 02:26 PM.