Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2002, 01:51 AM   #1
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I think the idea that it caused people to want to possess it instantly but didn't automatically corrupt is right, but I do think it corrupted very quickly those with power. Technically Boromir had more "power" than Aragorn during the journey -- by power I mean one holds a position that influences many people. At that point Aragorn did not have that position, whereas Boromir did. I think Beorn was different in that he wished to stay out of others' affairs and be "alone" (no desire for power/ domination of others) but at the same time he did wish to dominate his enemies and destroy them. I think he would have refused the ring, but if he had it I think he would have had a little difficulty throwing it in. I wonder if Gwihar could have done it.
very well said.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 01:25 PM   #2
Harad
Hobbit

Here are (finally) my promised quotes that shed light (?) on the question. Does this make any of your opinions change? I will withhold comment until I hear what you all have to say.

Quote:
from Letter 131 of JRRT
There was another weakness: if the One Ring was actually unmade, annihilated, then its power would be dissolved, Sauron's own being would be diminished to vanishing point, and he would be reduced to a shadow, a mere memory of malicious will. But that he never contemplated nor feared. The Ring was unbreakable by any smithcraft less than his own. It was indissoluble in any fire, save the undying subterranean fire where it was made ? and that was unapproachable, in Mordor. Also so great was the Ring's power of lust, that anyone who used it became mastered by it; it was beyond the strength of any will (even his own) to injure it, cast it away, or neglect it. So he thought. It was in any case on his finger.
Quote:
and from Letter 191
No, Frodo 'failed'. It is possible that once the ring was destroyed he had little recollection of the last scene. But one must face the fact: the power of Evil in the world is not finally resistible by incarnate creatures, however 'good'; and the Writer of the Story is not one of us.
and lastly

Quote:
from Letters 246
From the point of view of the storyteller the events on Mt Doom proceed simply from the logic of the tale up to that time. They were not deliberately worked up to nor foreseen until they occurred. But, for one thing, it became at last quite clear that Frodo after all that had happened would be incapable of voluntarily destroying the Ring. Reflecting on the solution after it was arrived at (as a mere event) I feel that it is central to the whole 'theory' of true nobility and heroism that is presented.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:46 PM   #3
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Strider

I agree with Khamul. Those are good, solid based opinions. Treebeard probably would've been able to.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 11:24 AM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I think what the Ring does is twist what people desire. My feeling is that Sam could have possibly have thrown the Ring into Mt Doom had he received it at Mt Doom. The Ring works more powerfully on people that are prideful and seek power. Sam in some ways would have desired power - but his idea of power would have been to have a huge bountiful garden or something that started out innocent. But in the end his desires would have been corrupted to some sort of evil.

There is no indication that Bilbo ever did anything with the ring to seek power - other than to use it hide from people he wanted to avoid or play tricks on. But the Ring still ended up having control over his mind.

Both Isildur and Boromir were very different than Aragorn. Both Isildur and Boromir grew up with power and the idea of seeking fame and everything else. I feel the Ring lashes onto those things and twists them. Aragorn would have eventually succumbed to the Ring - but most likely he would have lasted longer than any other human.

In terms of Gandalf, Galadriel or Elrond - they all sought power in one way or the other, maybe even the desire to be just known as the "controller of the Ring" or the "savior of Middle Earth". In the end they would have been corrupted. I really think they would have succumbed much quicker than most hobbits.

Smeagol was corrupted immediately because of what was in is heart. No one really liked him even before he got the Ring. I'm sure he had a "one day I'll show them" attitude in his heart. With Smeagol - that is what the Ring used to corrupt him.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 04:58 PM   #5
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

I think I agree with what I read that was written. I think that in the end of LOTR when Frodo was standing and Sauron noticed and did some effect on Frodo. I'm not sure about it.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 05:24 PM   #6
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

I think many of the high elves could have destroyed it and I agree with elf girl that it depends on ither how long you had it and what you want out of it.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:37 PM   #7
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Yeah. I guess that if an elf (like Elrond or Cirdan) would take the ring instead of Isildore he would destroy it.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 06:59 PM   #8
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
i think Aragorn could have destroyed it, but only if he hadent used it a lot.Isildur was Mister Proud Conquerer Of Sauron (actuly, Gil-Galad and Elendil threw Sauron down)

Last edited by Christiana : 05-16-2002 at 07:01 PM.
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 03:47 AM   #9
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
I guess that if an elf (like Elrond or Cirdan) would take the ring instead of Isildore he would destroy it.
I have to disagree. If Gandalf or Elrond could have taken the ring to the Cracks of Doom and destroyed it, they wouldn't have laid it on Frodo . . .when you think about it that was a harsh thing to do, but their only choice. They both knew they could not do it.

Tolkien says in one of his letters (but I can't find it now) that only Frodo of anyone alive on Middle Earth could have gotten as far as he did on the quest. . . and in the end the quest only succeeded because of the Pity that Frodo showed Gollum, so he was shown mercy in return and rescued by Gollum's lust for the ring.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 12:48 PM   #10
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

I think we all agree that anyone without a lust for power and/or a relationship with the Ring could have destroyed it. Legolas, for example, could have, because he knew of its power and danger. He would have. Also, Treebeard would have, but I don't think Quickbeam could. Too hasty. I also think that while Gandalf the Grey could not have destroyed it, Gandalf the White could and would. And I do believe that Tom Bombadil Counts. Given the necessity, he would have gone to the cracks of Doom and destroyed it.

However, of those who could not have destroyed it, I think we all agree on:

Frodo
Gollum
Isildur
Boromir
Gimli
Wormtongue
Theoden
Saruman
Galadriel
Gandalf the Grey

For obvious reasons. Perhaps also Faramir, Eowyn, and Denethor

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 01:40 PM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
originally posted by Entlover
I have to disagree. If Gandalf or Elrond could have taken the ring to the Cracks of Doom and destroyed it, they wouldn't have laid it on Frodo . . .when you think about it that was a harsh thing to do, but their only choice. They both knew they could not do it.
I didn't say that Elrond could take the ring to the Cracks of Doom. I said he could throw the ring to the cracks.
Quote:
And I do believe that Tom Bombadil Counts. Given the necessity, he would have gone to the cracks of Doom and destroyed it.
I think that Bombadil could throw the ring to the Cracks of Doom. He could, but he won't do it.
Old 05-17-2002, 03:36 PM   #12
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

Nariel Starfire, you made one list but there are part of it that wouldn't tauch the ring and part that would take it for themself.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:34 PM   #13
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I don't think very many people could have destroyed the Ring - certainly none of the humanoid races of Middle Earth (this includes men, dwarves, hobbits and elves). I don't think Sam could've done it, or Gandalf, or Elrond (he knew he couldn't, remember? he was afraid to take it). The Ring was made to influence the minds and desires of people like this.

The only people I think could have destroyed it are:

1) Tom Bombadil, obviously - but we already said he didn't count because he wouldn't go to Mount Doom

2) Treebeard and the other three old Ents - because the Ring simply doesn't offer them anything that would make them want to keep it.

3) Eru - umm . . . no explanation needed.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 02:11 PM   #14
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
originally posted by FrodoFriend
3) Eru - umm . . . no explanation needed.
I want to add for the third "group" of people all the Valar, that probably could destry the ring.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:40 PM   #15
Entlover
Elven Warrior

It's no fair saying someone could have destroyed the ring if handed it on Mt Doom . . .the journey had to be undertaken.

Have to agree with the conclusion Harad's quotes lead to . . .yes, i read them all. It was beyond the strength of anyone to destroy the ring. Frodo got farther than anyone else could have because he was humble and brave . . .that's the whole point, he failed but still did better than anyone else could have, so he succeeded after all.

FRODOFRODOFRODOFRODOFRODOFRODOFRODOFRODOFRODO
LIVES
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:48 PM   #16
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nariel Starfire
For obvious reasons. Perhaps also Faramir, Eowyn, and Denethor
I think Denethor (I assume this is Denethor, father of Boromir & Faramir) is a given, since he would've tried to use the ring. The man's insane.. he tried to cremate his only living son!
Old 05-20-2002, 02:37 PM   #17
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

I agree with Mirahzi. I don't think that Denethor have any chance to destroy the ring. he would try to use the ring, and that would destroy Gondor and Denethor.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:14 PM   #18
osszie
Elven Warrior

I doubt that anyone could have willingly destroyed the one ring,,,,,,,,,,,it had an incredible ability to convince the bearer's that it was thiers by their own ringt..............be it birthday present, weregild, heirloom or in the case of Sam as carer for it (sam never believed the ring was his, he was only the carrier for mr Frodo), bless. And this "Mr Frodo's ring" would have ensured that he never destroyed it.

Were all the rings as difficult to willingly destroy? The one ring had domination over them all (is saurons hands) Yet Gandalf and Galadriel both carried two of the most powerful and no talk of their disposal was ever mentioned. Surely removing these rings from middle earth would have destroyed much of saurons potential power?
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:37 PM   #19
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I disagree. I almost sure that Galdriel, Cirdan and Elrond could have destroy the ring willingly. (and of course the Valar and Eru).
Old 06-27-2002, 08:09 PM   #20
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Never Mind

Last edited by Aragorn_iz_cool : 06-23-2003 at 09:08 PM.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote