Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2002, 04:09 PM   #21
olsonm
Elf Lord

Pinatarwen Wayfarer? Or did you mean they stop and make a pass at her?
Old 03-19-2002, 11:35 PM   #22
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Ok Arwen was ALOT better than the Opera Galadriel scene and the Watcher in the water saltshaker scene. Wait what if Arwen WAS dispatched by a tree?I mean then she'd be left hanging and Frodo could have his moment of GLORY(even though I think he's FREAKY lookin with those contacts. Normal colored blue eyed contacts look GREAT on him but white. I dunno. Give him kind of a vacant freaky look. Brrrr), we get to see his face more.
Sam
ps. No I think they should use her for sword practice.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 11:43 PM   #23
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Ah, the cruelty of your words. Arwen wasn't that bad! It could heve been worse. . .and as for the Watcher in the Water thing, you'd think the Ring would fall off then, and it doesn't, yet they expect me to believe it would just from Frodo falling a few feet down the mountain. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 12:17 AM   #24
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

The Ring should never have come off of Frodo's neck when they were climbing the Misty Mountains - least of all have Boromir even touch it. It sort of ruins the power of the ring.

I agree - they should have used Arwen for sword practice. At least then we could have been spared the "come and claim him" line.

Oslomn - what about having Asfaloth hate her as much as we do and have him throw her off? Then we could be happy again and we don't have to worry about who she's going to save in TT and RotK. Unless I guess they do the reincarnation thing, but I think that takes a little bit longer than a couple of months to happen. Elvish reincarnation isn't fully explained.

By the way - I know you planned on this being a serious thread - but I think it's turning into "how can we rewrite the scene to kill off Arwen".

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 12:22 AM   #25
Eruviel Greenleaf

Must I come to her defense once again, as much as I can't STAND that awful line?

It could have been much worse. For example, she could have fought the Nazgul, rather than just drawing her sword!

And I agree, that whole thing with the Ring (when they're on Caradhras) falling off was just wrong. They could have let Boromir say that line in the proper place, it works better. Of course, from the perspective of making it work as a film, they needed to do something to help lead up to Boromir trying to take it at Amon Hen. Just not him picking it up!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-20-2002, 01:06 AM   #26
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

No killing Arwen until Eowyn shows up. She won't be back until the wedding anyway (please cut the wedding).

By the way, many of you have seen the movie multiple times; How does Gandalf retreive his magic staff after escaping Orthanc? Does he have spares? Is any stick magic in his hand? The episode was written outside the scope of the book, if I remember correctly?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 01:19 AM   #27
Eruviel Greenleaf

I think Gandalf has a spare staff--it looks a little different than the one he starts out with. I've seen it six times. Yes, please cut the wedding. Please, please, please!!! Unfortunately, I think Arwen will be back before the wedding, the way PJ is doing it. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-20-2002, 01:28 AM   #28
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I'm sure we have many more things to hate Arwen for in the next two movies. If that ends up being the case - Entmoot may have to set up a whole new forum just to discuss her.

I do realise that the Flight to the Ford scene could have been a lot worse - anything could be a lot worse than what it is. Jackson also could have done a lot better job with the whole thing too.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 01:35 AM   #29
Eruviel Greenleaf

Just getting rid of that awful line would be good enough for me!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-20-2002, 12:32 PM   #30
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
The Ring should never have come off of Frodo's neck when they were climbing the Misty Mountains - least of all have Boromir even touch it. It sort of ruins the power of the ring.
What do you mean?

Quote:
Oslomn
..........ouch
Old 03-20-2002, 01:08 PM   #31
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

Indeed, the Arwen-scene could HAVE been worse. As bad at it was, we're lucky to have escaped from a worse fate. Don't cut the weddingscene, that's all what's left of Arwen's roll, but cut all the added Arwen-scenes.

As for the ring falling off on the Caradhras, maybe the ring wanted it that way, who knows to tempt Boromir a bit more...
Old 03-20-2002, 03:35 PM   #32
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

Jerseydevil, Earniel, dare I ask how that scene could have possibly been worse? (ok, wayfarer's example aside)

Olsonm's got the right idea - keep Arwen in the scene, but cut her summoning 'spell', give Frodo some friggin credit - and for heaven's sake let the Nazgul utter the lines that chilled me to the bone in the book: "Come, come with us to Mordor - we will take you!"

That was so creepy.

It wouldn't have hurt to maybe have Arwen (via elvish mind-reading thing) asking dad for help and showing him summoning the Bruinen.

Or better yet, flash to Elrond in his chamber in Rivendell (or watching the ordeal from a distant cliff - as he very well may have done) as he senses the arrival of the Nazgul and show him summoning the Bruinen (oh, did I say that already?)...

Really, this is all pointless and unchallenging. Finding a better way to have filmed the Ford scene is like shooting fish in a barrel, or dwarves in a mithril-lined cell.

Last edited by Lelondul : 03-20-2002 at 05:11 PM.
Lelondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:05 PM   #33
Earniel

Well Lelondul, do you REALLY want to know how it could have been worse? Do you really wish to know? Most people start running already when they hear the phrase: "If you want him, come and claim him" Although I quite liked the nazgul phrase "Hand over the halfling She-elf" You've got to admit that the voice was perfect.

Just on the side, the name's Eärniel, not Eärnil, he was a king, I'm more of the female persuasion.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:11 PM   #34
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

Man, I've got see the movie again - I didn't catch that they said anything! I'll look for that when I see it again with the Two Towers trailer.

see the edit in my previous poist regarding your name - my mistake. A thousand apolgies m'lady *bows*
Old 03-20-2002, 05:21 PM   #35
Earniel

Apologies gladly accepted, dear fellow-mooter!
Old 03-20-2002, 05:21 PM   #36
olsonm
Elf Lord

Showing Elrond summoning the flood would have been cheesy.
Adapting the Lord of the Rings to film "unchallenging"? That's a first. No, I just thought people would have fun trying to adapt this scene given the same restrictions PJ had [time]. They just took the 'fun' part too literally. But that's alright.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:45 PM   #37
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Pinatarwen Wayfarer? Or did you mean they stop and make a pass at her?
I envision a lot of pinching, poking, and prodding, along with some less-than-savory dialogue.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:39 PM   #38
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

I'm sure our old friend Morthoron could script that dialogue quite well

>>Showing Elrond summoning the flood would have been cheesy

Of course it could be cheesy olsonm, but it certainly wouldn't be any cheesier than the scene which made it to film. At least Elrond's true power would be related more accurately.

Look at the Gandalf/Saruman duel. A neccessary part of the first film that related Gandalf's plight and revealed Saruman as a traitor to the viewing audience, though not word-for-word by the book.

The fact is, it could done in a tasteful manner - he did actually use vilya to summon the flood, you know.

As for your 'unchallenging' comment - that is totally asinine and off-base. I never said the job of adapting the entire film was easy, nothing of the sort actually. My point is that the Flight to the Ford is unequivocally the most disliked scene among Tolkien fans.

The numerous suggestions offered by myself and other mooters would not have increased the length of the Ford scene one bit. Geeze, we watched the black horses chase the white horse through trees forever....

To start a thread with 'your' adapted screenplay, ask us to have fun coming up with different scenarios, then be so brash as to wield opinions such as 'cheesy' on such a subjective topic is juvenililty at its finest.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:18 PM   #39
olsonm
Elf Lord

Lelondul

Sorry for leaving my 'cheesy' comment hanging like that. I didn't mean your idea was cheesy. I actually forgot I typed that and should have taken it out, I apologize.

My 'unchallenging' comment was supposed to have an icon to let you know I wasn't serious. I was trying to come up with an answer to your "pointless and unchallenging" comment. I understand why you were mad and apologize for my sloppy post.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:34 PM   #40
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

Why you little! I spent all that time on a decent flame (which I rarely do) and you tell me that!?!?

Sheesh! *walks off in a hump, flame wasted on a good man*