Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2002, 10:17 PM   #21
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

I've seen it 4 times in theaters, and about 1/10 of it at my friend's house. Her dad downloaded it.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 10:30 AM   #22
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
I've seen it 5 times so far (only 5!). But my friend's sister has a copy of the DVD, and I'm hoping to be able to borrow it and burn copies (slightly illegal, but this is LotR we're talking about!).
It's not slightly illegal, it's totally illegal. It robs New Line.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 10:52 AM   #23
Rosie-Lass
Elven Warrior

I agree, it is robbing New Line (not that they need the money or anything).
It is better to buy the vid whenever it comes out.
I've only seen it once! I am SO going when it comes out with TTT trailer on the end. (You can get that of Kazaa as well, I dunno whether it's the real thing though, I don't have broadband so I couldn't be bothered).
My cuz has it though, I'll ask him.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:32 PM   #24
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I've seen it four times. I wanna download it, and then trash my downloaded file as soon as I can buy the DVD. I would just go to see it in theatres 27 billion more times, but nobody will take me and my parents won't let me go alone. So New Line will end up with my money anyways as soon as the DVD is released. Of course, my computer hates downloading things, so this is probably all in my dreams.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:47 PM   #25
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy

Hey, what are you picking on me for? It's not like everyone on this thread hasn't been talking about downloading LotR on computer. And that's not robbing New Line? Besides, it's not the director's cut DVD; I'm still going to buy that when it comes out, not to mention every other piece of LotR merchandise available. They're gonna get enough of my money in the end. So why don't you keep your disparaging comments to yourself?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 02:15 PM   #26
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Ah FrodoFriend, be carefull about bootleg anything. My expirience with the bootleg world has taught me that bootlegs are often poor quality. The official product will have many things a bootleg won't. i.e. a picture you can see, the right colors, proper screen formating, better quality sound, plus all the bells and whistles that typically come with official products. Caveat emptor.

Anyhow I have been only 3 times. I am waiting until the 29th for my fourth. I want to see the the TT preview. Besides it should be in more theaters after it sweeps the Oscars!

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 03-09-2002 at 02:17 PM.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 02:38 PM   #27
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Jeez, I just said I was going to buy the official copy as soon as it comes out! I wasn't even serious about burning the DVD - since I'll never get my hands on it anyway. I'm just extremely impatient, okay!

*hides whimpering under a blanket*

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 02:44 PM   #28
Rosie-Lass
Elven Warrior

We didn't mean to make you whimper!!!
Just advice.
Old 03-09-2002, 02:51 PM   #29
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
I'm just extremely impatient, okay!

*hides whimpering under a blanket*
Sorry if I was over the top, FF. I understand your desire to posess this precious, yesss, preciousss dvd.

Come out from under.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 02:53 PM   #30
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

CBG - It's no different than downloading music off of morpheus or anything - or copying a CD at a friend's house. Have you never copied anything like that in your life? Is it that you just have a complaint because it's robbing New Line, who you feel we should treat different because they made LOTR, of a couple of more dollars when we have already given them 100's of millions? Would it be different if it was a film most people couldn't stand?

True fans will buy the DVD. The DVD isn't even out yet. I'm not saying it's right or wrong to copy it - but they can't really stop it. If I had a high speed connection - I'd probably download it too.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-09-2002 at 02:54 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 02:56 PM   #31
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Robbing is illegal?

*blinks*

Oh, dear... (j/k)
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 03:01 PM   #32
Rosie-Lass
Elven Warrior

Now I'm not changing sides, because I personally think that it is wrong (and also v.v.v. time consuming), but I also agree that they can't stop it. Yeah it's only hand-held cam images, but some people are THAT desperate!
I agree with jersey devil, they can't stop it. I mean, look how long it took for them to shut down Napster, AND Napster haven't stopped trading, so I don't see the point in New Line making a fuss because a) it's what, £20 out of £200,000,000 they're going to make out of the whole three and b) the courts would get v. bored if they had to shut down every single illegal trading centre on the web (and there are about 2,000)!!!
Old 03-09-2002, 04:32 PM   #33
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Hey, what are you picking on me for?
I wasn't picking on you, I was stating the facts.

Quote:
It's not like everyone on this thread hasn't been talking about downloading LotR on computer.
I never said that they were.

Quote:
Besides, it's not the director's cut DVD; I'm still going to buy that when it comes out
So what if it isn't the Director's cut? It's still illegal.

Quote:
So why don't you keep your disparaging comments to yourself?
Why? I can say whatever I want, same way you or anybody else can.

Quote:
Is it that you just have a complaint because it's robbing New Line, who you feel we should treat different because they made LOTR, of a couple of more dollars when we have already given them 100's of millions?
It doesn't matter about the content of the product, every pirated version is illegal. What you are saying is that because you paid to see the movie, you have the right to own pirated versions.

Quote:
I agree with jersey devil, they can't stop it. I mean, look how long it took for them to shut down Napster, AND Napster haven't stopped trading, so I don't see the point in New Line making a fuss because a) it's what, £20 out of £200,000,000 they're going to make out of the whole three and b) the courts would get v. bored if they had to shut down every single illegal trading centre on the web (and there are about 2,000)!!!
Ok, there are probally more than 2,000 murder investagations in the entire world today, does that mean they should solve a few then quit the rest?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 05:03 PM   #34
aldesign
Elven Warrior

just about all the software i own is copied!

and i copy loadsa music Album off of freinds.

and dwnld mp3's.

and dwnld movies and stuff, especially DBZ episodes.!

btw WinMX is the best 'new napster' type thing.
it works real well, never crashs, and is easy to use.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 05:08 PM   #35
jerseydevil

Nazgul

CBG - you never said whether you ever copied a song off the radio or burned a copy of a friend's cd for yourself or if you've ever downloaded a song of Morpheus or a similar file sharing program. Did you ever copy a movie off of cable or satellite? Have you ever done any of these things? They are all "illegal" - but I don't think that copying a song or movie matches up to the severity of MURDER. I can't even believe you used that to defend your point of view.

Newsweek had a very good article about the gall of Michael Greene on his attack during the Grammy's where he blasted file sharing. One thing they stated was "No outlaw service can ever provide consumers with the deep libraries at guaranteed high quality that content owners can deliver.....their orginal reaction to previous technological advances, from talkies to television to the VCR, was just as hysterical as it is with the internet... Things won't get better for them until they realize that even for copyright holders, the internet can be a Magic Kingdom."

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-09-2002, 05:24 PM   #36
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

A lot of things are illegal, CBG. Whoop-dee-doo

http://www.accessatlanta.com/communi...upid_Laws.html

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 03-09-2002 at 05:39 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 08:05 PM   #37
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Hey, what are you picking on me for?
Comic Book Guy was and is not picking on you FrodoFriend. He's simply making a comment, a truthful comment. You will get them if you want to brag about going over the law on a message board. CBG had two sentences:
Quote:
Nothing about this is personal. He's not attacking anyone. He's making a statement. It's illegal, that's all he said. You can merely say "oh ok". Or hey, just lie about it! Say you won't do it, you didn't know it was illegal. Who's gonna know? But don't attack him. He has made no disparaging comments, not unless you'd like to make a case for what you're doing being perfectly legal even though you've already said it's not. Please don't flame a mod., it is never a good idea. If you were truly not serious, then there is no reason to say anything but just that. Just say "oh, I wasn't being serious".

CBG made two, honest sentences. Anyone attacking him in this thread is clearly out of line and if I may so unwise. There will be no more of it.

Quote:
A lot of things are illegal, CBG. Whoop-dee-doo
Including theft and murder. Most things that are illegal are wrong. That's just a fact.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:51 PM   #38
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Well I think everyone or 99% of people that have a VCR has copied movies off of TV and that's technically illegal.

Most people just download stuff until they buy the CD or movie.

Even though my father bought Snow White on the streets of NY - didn't prevent me form buying the tape and the DVD when they were finally released.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-09-2002, 10:57 PM   #39
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Actually, it's NOT illegal if you aren't paying for it, or the provider isn't making a profit, if you copy a movie of the television...I do'nt know about the rest of it though.

I won't download FOTR from teh computer, though I could (cable modem). I do download mp3's.

Please don't turn this thread into a flame war. ::sighs as she pulls out her fire blanket::
Old 03-09-2002, 11:16 PM   #40
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Copying a movie off of cable or satellite is no different than downloading it for free off a file sharing program like Morpheus. That's what I meant by TV.

Also - Napster was never making a profit nor were they hosting the songs on their servers, they weren't selling the songs or anything. All they were was an outlet that allowed people to trade files back and forth. The music industry "shut" them down and 50 more popped up. The industry is just pissed that they didn't have the brains to come up with it so we could have songs on demand. And if they did - they would probably over charge where it wouldn't matter if you bought the CD or off the net.

I went to target today - I'm not going to spend $14.00 on a cd. I bought several DVDs there for $15.00 each - including AI which was $19.00.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide