Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2002, 08:26 PM   #21
anduin
Entwife

Well I do....

Concerning the Two Towers....this is taken straight from the book:

Quote:
Here ends the first part of the history of the War of the Ring.

The second part is called The Two Towers, since the events recounted in it are dominated by ORTHANC, the citadel of Saruman, and the fortress of MINUS MORGUL that guards the secret entrance to Mordor.......
Seems to me though that it should be Barad-dur and not Minus Morgul.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 10:28 PM   #22
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Good point, but Barad-dur is a fortress, not a tower. Sort of. Mere technicalities. . .doesn't really matter. But since Frodo and Sam get into Mordor through Minas Morgul it makes sense.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 10:29 PM   #23
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

> Worse than bumpin' Glorfindel and adding Arwen....

...would be adding Glorfindel bumpin' Arwen.

]: )
Old 03-12-2002, 01:03 AM   #24
anduin
Entwife

LOL!!! That was good.

Eruviel Greenleaf....yes, that's right. Makes a lot more sense. Thank you.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:32 AM   #25
Eruviel Greenleaf

Re: > Worse than bumpin' Glorfindel and adding Arwen....

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
...would be adding Glorfindel bumpin' Arwen.

]: )
LOL.

Anduin--*bows in a Shakespearean sort of fashion* Glad to be of help. *cough, cough. as if I did anything special*

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-17-2002, 12:04 AM   #26
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

That was inappropriate and uncalled for.

Erm, the title change thing, I mean.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 02:31 AM   #27
Earenya
Elven Warrior

I suppose the only real problem with changing the title would be the worldwide recognition with the 2nd book of the trilogy. It would be a hard pressed decision, but I think PJ made the right one in keeping TTT title.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 12:03 PM   #28
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Ithought about it too, and Peter Jackson was wise not to change the title of "The Two Towers". Little kiwi would have had a EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO-sponsored mob hit on his head.....LOL!

It MIGHT come as a bit of a shock here in the US, the title, since a lot of the facts and footage and actions of that Sept 11 attack have been effectively suppressed. Since it's only now, at 6 months post-attack, that the news media will show the video of the actual attack, you can imagine that the impending release of this film will definitely draw criticism. Plus the footage that they DO show is so heavily sanitized, one doesn't see the true horrors, such as folks jumping out of 90 story windows.

Now, you can bet your elven boots or your Enting bark that victims' families will come out a-cryin' that the title is "insensitive", that it should be changed out of respect for their sensibilities. Professional victimization groups will beat their collective breast and raise their eyes to the heavens decrying the "mean-spirited" movie studio execs, that they are trying to make bucks off the attacks. Ignore 'em all, I say. Ain't gonna let some rotten terrorists derail Tolkien's works, nor cause the retelling to be altered to avoid references to two towers.

I am glad Peter Jackson has not, so far, caved, and hope his stout New Zealand heart can withstand the pressure which is surely to rtain down upon him as release day approaches. Renaming "The Two Towers" would be abominable, reprehensible and utterly fripperous.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 03-17-2002 at 12:28 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 12:14 PM   #29
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

well said Bropous!!!!!!!!!! *claps, claps, claps*

Of course i fully sympathise with all the victims' families but has anyone thought (and i'm sorry if they have, ive forgotten what everyone else has posted so far) that it would be insensitive to to Tolkien himself to have his books' name changed.
And my personal view is that, you know George Bush has being saying a lot about getting back to normal and not lettign Osama change our lives for the worse, well surely it is showing that he succeedeed if only a little by changing the title.

I'm really sorry if I have offended anyone in this post, I didnt mean to =.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 12:31 PM   #30
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Agreed, O Frosty One!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:45 PM   #31
Khadrane
Elf Lord

After September 11, I kept calling the Twin Towers the Two Towers... but that was kind of off the subject.

I agree with what you say, StrawberryIceCream!

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 02:41 PM   #32
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I'm sorry? Did someone call me Frosty?

I was in no way meaning to cause offence or upset to the victims!

I did not mean to be frosty but that is my view and of course i fully sympathise.

Old 03-17-2002, 08:16 PM   #33
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I think he was referring to your name.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 08:26 PM   #34
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Indeed he was referring to her name, O Ferrous Budgerigar.

Old 03-18-2002, 12:33 AM   #35
olsonm
Elf Lord

Tolkien would not have been insulted by a change. But changing the title wouldn't be a good way to honor the victims. It's got nothing to do with them. The Twin Towers are in almost every movie made about New York since they were built, but no one would suggest that they should be digitally removed. I don't think 'The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers' is gonna upset anybody six months from now. Even if it did there would still be no real connection.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:00 AM   #36
Eruviel Greenleaf

I think that not changing the title simply minimizes confusion-not about which towers they are talking about, but for people who might want to know what on earth <insert hypothetical new title here> is.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-18-2002, 01:22 PM   #37
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

oh. woops! sorry Bropous.

I kinda like that name though.