Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2000, 09:40 PM   #21
anduin

Re: One of my favorites

I had ezboard add "c o c k" to the profanity list......I don't think that it is an appropriate term for "rooster".
Old 04-21-2000, 04:48 PM   #22
kcbob

Yazad, you hit it right on the nose. "Rohan had come at last" is THE pinnacle of the whole story. I mentioned in the "Favorite book" thread that this scene gives me chills every time I read it.
Old 04-22-2000, 05:26 PM   #23
horce

Go not to the elves for council for they will say both yes and no.
Old 04-22-2000, 07:04 PM   #24
anduin

That is a great line! Talk about a catch 22.....

Welcome to Entmoot.
Old 04-24-2000, 11:25 AM   #25
Lord Kaos

favorite quotes

i agree whit horce, although my favorite kuote is "the End" :PP

just kiring, one of the most amazing quotes is from sam, rigth in the end.."well, im home at last"

Feanorian Greatings

Lord Kaos -- SauronĀ“s Second cousin twice removed
Old 04-26-2000, 05:52 PM   #26
Yazad

Re: Favorite quotes

Speaking of "Well, I'm home at last", of course my favorite sentimental line is,

"Thank goodnes" from the end of the Hobbit.

Rivaling the "Rohan had come at last" of course, is the followup which I adore... (had a hard time deciding between the two)

"But it was no orc chieftain or brigand who led the assault upon Minas Tirith. The darkness was breaking - too soon, before the date his master had set for it. Fortune had betrayed him for the moment and the world turned against him. Victory was slipping from his grasp even as he stretched his hand out to seize it. But his arm was long."

A terribly fine piece of writing!

Sorry for going on...

Yazad

p.s. I apologize for garbling up the quote, I don't have a copy with me!
Old 04-27-2000, 11:48 PM   #27
Anteater

Well... I love the songs of Tom Bombadil... "hey dol! derry dol!"
What excellent jibberish!!!

Later!!!
Old 05-28-2000, 03:33 PM   #28
Lillian C

This cracks me up every time I read it:

Pippin: "I shall go, unless they chain me up. There must be someone with intelligence in the party."

Gandalf: "Then you certainly will not be chosen, Peregrin Took!"

Old 05-28-2000, 04:04 PM   #29
etherealunicorn

Re: This cracks me up every time I read it:

I like "Rohan had come at last" and I have to agree with Horce's contribution "Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no".
Old 05-28-2000, 08:17 PM   #30
Elfling

fav quote

I love the one Elanor quoted from the Grey Havens;

"It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them."

but I also like;

"Lobelia took the point, but she also took the spoons."
From Book I Chapter II
and;

"It is crunchable? Is it tasty?"
From "The Passage of the Marshes", Book IV
Old 05-29-2000, 02:31 PM   #31
etherealunicorn

Re: fav quote

The one that Lillian quoted is also a classic. Typical Pippin, if I do say so myself.
Old 05-30-2000, 02:09 AM   #32
Spock1

Re: fav quote

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subltle and quick to anger."
:|
Old 05-30-2000, 09:07 AM   #33
Fat middle

"Lord Smeagol. Gollum the Great. The Gollum!"
Old 05-30-2000, 02:30 PM   #34
etherealunicorn

After spending the morning out mowing and doing various other bits of yardwork, I have to make an addition to my favorite quotes, as I thought of this one several times today as I worked amid the clouds of mosquitoes:

"What do they live on when they can't get hobbit?" Truly, the buzzing little monsters ate me alive! :lol:
Old 05-31-2000, 09:01 AM   #35
BilboFrodo

Firstly I would just like to say to ArwenUndomiel102 that the oliphant is a peom said by Samwise and not a song
Well my favourite quote comes from the Ring sets out (book one of LOTR)When Frodo and Gandalf are sitting in Frodo's house and they throw the ring into the fire and get it out, it is too long for me to write so if you don't know what I'm talking about its on page 56 of the first edition
Old 06-01-2000, 06:42 PM   #36
RKittle

" Bless us and splash us, my precioussss! I guess it's a choice feast; at least a tasty morsel it'd make us, gollum!"

Gollum (the guy always cracks me up!)
Old 06-02-2000, 09:51 PM   #37
gatito

...And that we called the life of Men, the way of the world. We cared little for what lay beyond the borders of our land. Songs we have that tell of these things, but we are forgetting them, teaching them only to children, as a careless custom. And now the songs have come down among us out of srange places, and walk visible under the sun.

-Theoden

This is my first time reading LOTR but I was reading that today on the bus and it caught my eye.

Luv Always,
Gat
Old 08-26-2000, 05:28 AM   #38
Morkhon

I can't believe that someone hasn't mentioned these yet.

"You cannot pass,' he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. 'I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avial you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."
Gandalf at the Bridge of Khazad-dum.

"Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"

"A cold voice answered: "Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where they flesh shall be devoured, and they shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."

A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

"But no livin man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."
Exchange between Eowyn and the Witch-king at the Battle of the Pellenor Fields.

My favorite peom next to the Crownless again shall be king one is the one in the House of Elrond about Earendil the Mariner. I will provide a short excerpt because it is three pages long.

In panoply of ancient kings,
in chained rings he armoured him;
his shining shield was scored with runes
to ward all wounds and harm from him;
his bow was made of dragon-horn,
his arrows shorn of ebony;
of silver was his habergeon,
his scabbard of chalcedony;
his sword of steel was valiant;
of adamant his helmet tall,
an eagle-plume upon his crest,
upon his breast an emerald.

What is a habergeon?

And of course my signature quote.
Old 08-26-2000, 09:52 AM   #39
Gilthalion

My signature quote, of course.
Old 08-26-2000, 11:16 PM   #40
TheresaMF

Recently I was struck by a description from the chapter, "The Passage of the Marshes" in the Two Towers.

"Dreadful as the Dead Marshes had been, and the arid moors of the Noman-lands, more loathsome far was the county that the crawling day now slowly revealed to his shrinking eyes."..."The gasping pools were choked with ash and crawling muds, sickly white and gray, as if the mountains had vomited the filth of their entrails upon the lands about. High mounds of crushed and powdered rock, great cones of earth fire-blasted and poison-stained, stood like an obscene graveyard in endless rows, slowly revealed in the reluctant light. They had come to the desolation that lay before Mordor: the lasting monument to the dark labour of its slaves that should endure when all their purposes were made void..."

The crawling day . . . *shiver*. And the thought, in the last sentance, of a desolation lasting beyond time, like Charn in the Chronicles of Narnia.

Happier: "my companion, who alas, is overcome with weariness" from The Two Towers. "Is it nice, my preciousss? Is it juicy? Is it scrumptiously crunchable?" from the Hobbit has to be almost my top favorite (to quote outloud anyway ). "And you too are dangerous, Gimli son of Gloin" from Gandalf's talk in Fangorn.