FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-11-2000, 10:42 PM   #21
anduin

Re: The name 'Gollum'

What does, "der Nibelungen" mean?
Old 08-11-2000, 10:48 PM   #22
Eruve

I'm not sure, but I think it's a reference to the legends that Wagner based several operas on.
Old 08-12-2000, 01:44 AM   #23
Legolas

Yes; it was referring to, if I am correct, The Ring, the opera by Wagner as Eruve said.

What Tolkien said there was very interesting; he has something of the personality that I thought he might have.

By the way, Wizard of the Secret Fire, I was wondering: have you ever gone by the name Gandalf the Grey, online anywhere?

Legolas
Old 08-12-2000, 10:24 AM   #24
Wizard of the Secret Fire

No, I have never used Gandalf the Grey or even Gandalf .

Btw,

First, Ohlmarks admired Tolkien and his books, and wrote things like:

I am grateful for having had the opportunity of spreading the word about one of the greatest authors and most creative minds of our time.28

Then he changed, after trouble with the foreword, Tolkien societys in Sweden and Humphrey Carpenter. He wrote the book Tolkien and the Black Magic!!! (ridiculous book)

He never believed that Tolkien wrote LotR!

... because it could definitely not be him [Tolkien]. If it were, the entire academic exercise of "philological determinance of authorship" would be worthless. ... there are fundamental discrepancies in style, vocabulary, syntax, narrative technique, story-telling, visionary power - everything.41

The first book [Book 1 of LOTR] is poor rubbish for children and tells almost exclusively of a lengthy, tiresome birthday party among the 'creatures' called hobbits... These hobbits... make pretty boring reading... Tolkien invented his hobbits in a miserably bad fairy-story as early as 1937 ... [LOTR] is the naive folk-tale, painted in black and white, at its worst... 25

Tolkien himself admired Hitler deeply. The societies devote their time to warlike exercises, it is just like the SS-system29

... the cartoon is the only adequate form for children's stories of such low literary quality. I once spoke about JRRT in connection with the Nobel Prize. Forgive me honoured members of the Academy... I was as stupid as the poor serving-hands of the Tolkien societies...29

By the way, who is this Mr Humphrey Carpenter? ... he is not in Who's Who, not in any literary dictionary whatsoever... He does not seem to have written anything prior to this biography. He has arbitrarily been appointed by Christopher Tolkien ignoring all the more authorative literary biographers and down to the smallest detail he is dependent on his benefactor and employer. To him Christopher has been able to dictate anything at whim and Carpenter has completely accepted it all...
Old 08-12-2000, 12:16 PM   #25
Eruve

Heresy! Blasphemy! Off with his head!
Old 08-12-2000, 12:43 PM   #26
noldo

:x :x

Is he dead?
Old 08-12-2000, 01:19 PM   #27
Fat middle

who´s that Ohlmarks? is he well known in Sweden (i mean, apart from this affair)?

hmmm, i'm sure he's less known that Carpenter
Old 08-12-2000, 04:05 PM   #28
Wizard of the Secret Fire

About Ohlmarks:

Ohlmarks, Åke (1911 - 1984) religion historian, Sweden.

Åke Joel Ohlmarks, Swedish professor of religion, skillful translator to Swedish of the Icelandic Eddas. His translation of the third part of Snorri's Edda is yet unparalleled.

For some, Ohlmarks is more known as one of several Swedish translators of the books by J. R. R. Tolkien. Ohlmarks started out enthusiastically, but his relationship to the author got rather strained after some time. Some Swedish Tolkien fans prefer other translations than those by Ohlmarks.
Old 08-12-2000, 06:59 PM   #29
Shanamir Duntak

As you describe this guy, I easily understand why Swedish fans would prefer other translations than his.
Old 08-14-2000, 04:27 AM   #30
arynetrek

this just makes me want to meet Tolkien even more...

aryne *
Old 08-15-2000, 10:10 AM   #31
emilsson

I didn´t know that about Ohlmark. It does explain why some mistakes slipped through.

Now I´d like to compare his translation of the Edda with Björn Collinder's to see if it really is unparallelled.
Old 09-01-2000, 10:20 PM   #32
TrunksGT

Hoo hah... in da boo hah!
Old 09-05-2000, 09:17 PM   #33
Bullroarer

Paul, you high?
Old 09-08-2000, 07:08 PM   #34
Soul of the Nazghul

How'd ya guess? When i say something wrong I screw around with the word until it sounds stupider... I got hoo hah from the Al Pacino movie... and boo hah was just cool, thus "Hoo hah in the boo hah!" was born
Old 09-08-2000, 10:59 PM   #35
Gilthalion

And here I thought it was just a pathetic attempt at Entish!

:lol: