Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2002, 01:18 AM   #21
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorongil
Find out about the Isari in Unfinished Tales
Really? I thought I heard that. Thank you very much. I'll pick that up. Does it have anything about Radagast?
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 01:56 PM   #22
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Really? There's a real Shire?
Those people are probably made fun of a lot. Imagine going up to someone and saying, "Hi. I'm from the Shire." They would think that you needed some help of they knew about LOTR.

I would like to know what happened to Frodo, Bilbo, and Sam after they left the Havens.
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 09:38 AM   #23
andustar
Elven Warrior

Carden- it's mostly Gandalf and Saruman, but it does mention him. It has a conversation between the Valar over who to send! I was so happy when I found that. Read it.

As you've guessed, Thorongil, I've read it already When I said more about the Istari, I really meant MORE Although I haven't read all the HoME books, or Letters.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:42 AM   #24
Nenya
Hobbit

Like everyone else, I want to know what happens once Frodo and Bilbo get to the Grey Havens. I also want to know what became of the sons of Elrond. If I have interpreted what I have read correctly, then they had the same choice as Arwen; to go to the Havens with Elrond, or remain on Middle Earth and become mortal. It does not specifically mention them in the Grey Havens chapter (only "Gildor and many fair elven folk"), but neither is there any mention in the appendices of anything they may have done afterwards if they had remained on middle Earth. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 12:44 PM   #25
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Nenya there is mention of them in the appendices.

They stayed in Rivendell. Celeborn even joined them for awhile.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 06:53 PM   #26
Nenya
Hobbit

Yeah, I know, I found that about half an hour after I posted...how stupid do I feel now?
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 07:00 PM   #27
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

I would, like others, like to know what happened to Frodo and Bilbo and the others journeying to the Grey Havens. I also would like to know about the changes Aragorn made in Gondor.

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:07 AM   #28
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Uh, you know, the appendices ARE there for additional information, folks. Try the info on the Fourth Age, Aragorn. Tells you exactly what Aragorn did as King Elessar of Gondor, and about his final passing, as well as that of Arwen. Also covers how Pippin became the head Took, and of Merry's rise in the community, as well as Samwise's descendants founding and settling the Westmarch.

As to wanting to know what happened when Bilbo and Frodo got to the Grey Havens, didn't you folks read the last chapter in the book? They got on the boat and sailed to the Undying Lands in Eldamar. Then Sam, Merry and Pippin rode home together wordlessly, Sam came in the door at Bag End, sat down in his chair, Rosie had dinner all ready, set Elanor in his lap, and he said, "Well, I'm back."

Maybe some are confusing Cirdan's Grey Havens for Eldamar.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 03:02 AM   #29
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

I would want to learn more about Legolas and Gimli there past were they came from and what they did in there daily lives before the ring had ever been heard of.
Also more feamales dosent it seem just a little bit weird that there are only 3 feamales throughout the whole book. I wouldnt like a romance as such but im sure that maybe they could have a little more of a role toward's the evil in the world.
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 06:53 AM   #30
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Read about me, folks! I'm just fascinating!
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 04:53 PM   #31
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i'd like 2 know all of the stuff everyone else has said. also if the ents ever found their entwives. i think that would be very interesting. by the way- is it advised that i should read The Histrory of Middle Earth?is it easier or harder than the silmarillion?
eowyn144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #32
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Gollum

i would put put in a chapter about the first age,it would probably be about the battle of the dead marches.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #33
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

I would have deleted the Ent stuff. And all the hobbit geneology etc.Dull it seems to me. Instead I would have put more bad guys POV.
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #34
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

I wouldn't delete a thing but I agree on more about the bad guys. I would like to understand how the events of the time looked to Sauron and his Wringraiths/Leutenants' from their points of view.

I also, in retrospect and now that I'm thinking about it, regret how the bad guys were made to be so utterly and incorrigibly evil. Think about it. The good guys aren't perfectly good, there's an evil wizard, corrupt men, and in the Simarillion, at least, elves that misbehave pretty badly, too.

What I'm trying to say is perhaps the Prof. could have made the bad guys less than completely one-dimensional.

And now that I've shot my reputation here completely to hell ...
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:04 AM   #35
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S.
I wouldn't delete a thing but I agree on more about the bad guys. I would like to understand how the events of the time looked to Sauron and his Wringraiths/Leutenants' from their points of view..
one-dimensional.
Don't worry about your reputation.
I read somewhere, perhaps in Tolkien's Letters(?), that he himself FELT like a hobbit. As for me, I never feel that way. And I guess few of the modern man feel that way. Or am I wrong?
Hobbits and people with hobbit POV are not at all interested in evil. For them it is something remote and pretty one-dimentional.

But I think that a tread aiming to reconstruct evil guys POV at different points in LOTR would be quite interesting.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #36
Manveru
Elven Warrior

i love lotr just the way it is. part of what is great about it is that we dont know everything. there is whole parts of the mythology he only touches on. if he explained everything in detail we probably wouldnt be here arguing if balrogs had wings or what the 2 blue wizards actually accomplished. i once read an essay or something on lotr that said this was one of the best things about it. it said something about "we always want to go on and explore the parts of the map where no characters go, the parts marked 'here be dragons'"
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote