Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-1999, 06:11 AM   #21
galadriel1

Favorite book - Spoiler alert for 1st-timers!

Hmmmm.....I'm not sure. They`re all so good!I DO love the Battle of the Pennor Fields! When Aragorn comes riding up w/ the fleet - WOW! And the Fields of Cormallen! "The Eagles are coming! The Eagles are coming!" And there`s the Muster of Rohan and the Siege of Gondor and Denethor! I also like when Elrond and Celeborn and Galadriel and the elves come riding up for the 'big day'! And of course the final battle in the Shire and thejourney to the Grey Havens. It`s cool to meet up with Cirdan again. It`s been way too long! I guess I`d have to say ROTK. Anduin: Yes, I read it every winter. Usually January or February when the weather gets really miserable around here (western PA). I get more and more out of it every time I read it And I still get sad when it gets to the end because it`s over. I always want to start the journey right over again because I don`t want it to end!
Old 11-06-1999, 06:16 AM   #22
galadriel1

Music.

Hernalt: Great choice for the Lothlorien music. I wish they`d use it for the movie. Her music just seems so perfect for the Lothlorien scenes! I'll have to check out your 'other' musical selections! Sounds interesting!
Old 11-06-1999, 12:32 PM   #23
anduin

Re: Favorite book - Spoiler alert for 1st-timers!

Galadriel, I feel the same way when I get to the end. I want to start all over. I really thought I might, last time I read it. Hey, why not just be perpetually reading it? Do you think you could get sick of the books if you did? It is interesting that you read in the winter months. I have always read it in the summer. My friend insists that I must read it in the fall, at least once.
Old 11-06-1999, 02:16 PM   #24
Darth Tater

Re: Favorite book - Spoiler alert for 1st-timers!

Just curious. Why does season matter?
Old 11-06-1999, 04:51 PM   #25
galadriel1

Seasons.

Anduin: Try it in the fall/winter sometime. Season doesn`t really matter. I always save reading projects for winter. It`s fun to curl up under a blanket on the couch and read when it`s snowing outside. I like to be outdoors in the summer so I don`t really read much then. I prefer to be out in the woods a lot or up on Laurel Mountain dancing under the stars. We elves do love the woods so! :-)
Old 11-06-1999, 07:10 PM   #26
anduin

Re: Seasons.

Galadriel, you said you like to be outside in the woods in the summer, my thoughts exactly!! Thats why I like to read it in the summer I think. It is a great book to take camping. Laurel Mountain? Do you live in Tennessee?
Old 11-06-1999, 07:12 PM   #27
anduin

Re: Seasons.

Oops, just read your bio. Never mind
Old 11-07-1999, 12:33 AM   #28
galadriel1

Camping

I don`t read much while camping. Too many outdoor adventures to partake in. As you can see from my profile, I`m in PA - Western PA to be more precise, 50 miles east of Pttsburgh. It`s a beautiful area. Lots of woods and hills and streams and lakes and State Parks. Frank Lloyd Wright`s Fallingwater is only 45 minutes away near Ohiopyle State Park. It`s nice! Our mountains aren`t what a lot of people call mountains. They`re part of the Appalachian Ranges so they`re very old and small. 2600-2700 feet around these parts. The area around Wolf`s Rocks and Linn Run State Park are very Lothlorien-like! Especially in the Fall. So where are you from? Where do you like to go camping? (Oops, don`t mean to be so personal. I`m just a very curious person!)OK, sorry to go off topic, guys!
Old 11-07-1999, 03:06 AM   #29
anduin

Re: Camping

I am from Kentucky, I do most of my camping in the Red River Gorge/National Bridge area. But on vacations we go to farther away to camp. Colorodo some. Last year we camped in the Allegenys on our way to the Adirondacks. Penn. is a very beautiful state, and I hope to get back there soon. During that trip, I read LOTR to my boyfriend at night. He couldn't seem to make himself read it, so I intervened. Maybe that is what Lost in Coursant needs, lol. Have you read A Walk in The Woods? Boy, we are getting off topic. Apologies for the detour.
Old 11-07-1999, 06:35 AM   #30
Elrond

I am from Norfolk, and I go camping at Stifkey. No-one will have even heard of it, but never mind... There's of about 20 if us... we just invade the campsite for 2 weeks. I do lots of outdoor stuff... Biking, Sailing, Canoing... But I still take that book with me... It goes where I go... j/k, sort of...
Old 11-07-1999, 04:51 PM   #31
galadriel1

I`ve heard the Red River Gorge is beautiful! I don`t get out of state much! Ever visit West VA? Beautiful! Blackwater Falls and Coopers Rocks are nice areas to hike in! That`s so cool reading it to your boyfriend. How did he enjoy the story? Yeah, PA is so beautiful! OK, so I`m a bit biased here, but it is a beautiful state! Central PA is just mountain range after mountain. Gorgeous! I`ve never hit the northeastern part of the state, though. I hear the Poconos are gorgeous! I would love to go to nColorado some day! My nephew just moved out there. He`s in CO. Springs. He says it`s beautiful! I AM doing Muir Woods (North of San Francisco) in June. I can hardly wait! It`s going to be awesome! Elrond: Nope, never heard of Stilkey! Is that close to Norfolk? I envy you being so close to the ocean! I LOVE the ocean! Sounds like you have a lot of fun! Hey--we should all get together one day and do a camping trip! We`re in the same general area. OK this is really getting off topic now! You get gabby Galadriel going and it`s hard to get her stopped!
Old 11-07-1999, 07:27 PM   #32
Elrond

Nope, I think most people her would have no I dea where Stifkey is, what with it being a small village on the North Norfolk coast... yeah, we have lotsa fun... a 2 week party, pretty much. And then there's Blakney point. It's kind of a seal meating place. Hundreds of them. People pay to go see them, and we're like, heh heh heh... we go free. Just get in the boat, and sail out... fun! I'm an outdoors person. I love camping, no-one bothers about where u r, what u're doing... parents r still there (unfortunatly) but u'd hardly know it. They just sit around the tents, and we vanish off somewhere and no-one says anything if u come back 5 hours later or soaked or whatever. I worked out how many of us there r... 15 'kids', if u can call us that: ages 5-17, and 8 parents, 4 dogs... between us, there r also 6 boats, and a load of cannoes. And everyone has a bike. And I'm gonna shut up now.
Old 11-07-1999, 10:57 PM   #33
galadriel1

Wow! Sounds like a blast!

Sounds like when my whole family used to go camping. We don`t do that a whole lot anymore. I usually just go with a couple of friends - more hiking than camping. i guess we should get this thread back on track, huh? Sorry guys! It`s been fun, though!
Old 11-07-1999, 11:38 PM   #34
Hernalt

Yes - back on track.....

Daggon it you people are psyching me up! (I'm from central PA myself, and can back up galadriel that PA has a lot of natural goodies.) Frodo, Sam and Gollum Dead Marshes = Cool huge swamp under Rt 79 below Erie, PA., Also, Cool swamp with lots of birds below World's End State Park, PA. Turin vs. Glarung Cabed-en-Aras = Ricket's Glen State PArk, PA. (20 waterfalls with cumulative 600' of fall.) Watkins Glen, New York Finger Lakes Region = huge watercut gorge system that's basically snaking walls of rock on either side, 70-80 feet over head. Letchworth State Park, New York Finger Lakes Region = nice big heavy thundrous waterfall. Plus a railroad bridge 200+ feet high that you're still allowed to walk across. (Reportedly, the tallest wooden railroad bridge in America. That says something, considering the Rockies and Siera Nevadas.) I've been to West Virgina but not long enough to find any geologic, memorable highlights. If I'm not mistaken, Blackwater Falls and Coopers Rocks are in the Northern part of Maryland close to the PA border. I'll have to investigate! Needless, to say, I read either LOTR or HOME series wherever I confront nature's bounty. Ricket's Glen has one fall with this flat ledge of rock you can set up a chair on and stare out over forty feet of drop to the water below. Nice setting for BOLT.
Old 11-08-1999, 03:57 AM   #35
anduin

new camping topic?

I thought earlier about posting a camping topic in 'general messages' but thought we maybe finished our discussion. I guess not! *g* Going to start one now...see you all on the trail....
Old 11-08-1999, 07:40 PM   #36
Aragorn02

Re: new camping topic?

Hi people I am back online! Elrond, I saw the link on your bord and thought I'd just drop by. I've been unbanned, so I'm celebrating! Where is Gandalf? She said she'd be back on AGES ago.
Old 11-09-1999, 02:41 AM   #37
Darth Tater

This is your friendly admin saying SHUT UP! Thank you!
Old 11-09-1999, 06:30 AM   #38
Elrond

Calm down, Aragorn. I think u probably need to just use your brain every now and then. I hope it doesn't hurt too much.
Old 11-09-1999, 06:33 AM   #39
galadriel1

Re: Hernalt

Wow, you get around, don`t you? Blackwater Falls and Coopers Rocks are in West Virginia. Coopers Rocks is north of Morgantown. Blackwater Falls is around the mining towns of Davis and Thomas-sort of central WVa, Iguess. Beautiful area. Lots of conoquinescing (I know that`s not spelled right) sandstone. I learned the word from the area and liked the sound of it.
Old 11-09-1999, 06:36 AM   #40
peregrin

What's up?

Why is Tater yelling "shut up"? I am not trying to be a smart a$$, just curious. Are ya joking Tater?