Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-28-2001, 02:10 AM   #21
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

As much as I would love to go on....

I fear Inoldonil is right..
i still encourage you to find the aforementioned quotes and research them.

If nothing else so you would have a more solid argument.
There are truths in scripture you will find if you try to find them.

ill resign my side of the argument as for the Hobbits being evil
Does the intelligence theory have no relevance or was I to late in posting it or is it wrong or right..or is it painfully obvious or what.

Good night.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 11:57 AM   #22
crow
Hobbit

Location: Connecticut, USA, though I suspect my soul longs for another place. Oxford, say.
um, carden? This secularized Jew/agnostic (for lack of a better term) is not happy with a certain post in which you ranted about us chosing evil, God trying to save us, blah, blah, blah. This is not a Bible discussion group. If it was I'd point a few things out to you (I have, incidentally, studied the Hebrew Bible). Sorry if this post is late and unnecessary. I'm taken aback and slightly insulted and would simply like to express it.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:14 PM   #23
TrewynEvenstar
Sapling

Sam Gamgee Gollum

One word - Gollum. I think he's fairly evil, and I'm pretty sure that Gandalf says that Gollum was or is, depending on how you look at it, a hobbit.
TrewynEvenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 04:00 PM   #24
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

CardenIAntauraNauco I am sorry for the bluntness of my post. I didn't take into consideration how important religion is to some people. And, you're right I should have included quotes to back up my point.

I can't quote them now but I'm hoping I can later on today once I find a bible. Anyway a lot of what I said was in 'Revelations'. Regardless I may have been a bit hasty in my reasoning. When I thought about it later on that night, The New Testament is in a lot of ways diferent to the Old Testament, it is much more 'friendly' as you will no doubt know better than me. The new testament was written by other people based supposedly on the teachings of Christ, and it bears very little resemblance to The Old Testament as you know.

Regardless, as people have rightly pointed out, this discussion doesn't belong on this thread, I'll be happy to continue it in General Discussions with you and I'll try to be more polite e.t.c
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 06:22 PM   #25
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Quote:
um, carden? This secularized Jew/agnostic (for lack of a better term) is not happy with a certain post in which you ranted about us chosing evil, God trying to save us, blah, blah, blah. This is not a Bible discussion group. If it was I'd point a few things out to you (I have, incidentally, studied the Hebrew Bible). Sorry if this post is late and unnecessary. I'm taken aback and slightly insulted and would simply like to express it.
You are right. This is not a bible discussion group and iIwas wrong to bring it up...
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 04:33 PM   #26
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Will say nothing, despite the inane stupidity of some prior arguments.

Needless to say, both sides in the short argument above exhibited traits common to a flamefest, and neither really has a decent argument.
Old 12-29-2001, 06:09 PM   #27
GrooveAttack
Sapling

here is my outlook on this topic when it aint on the bible: gollum was called a hobbit once in the lord of thei rings, so yes. BUT, the ring made him the way he was, so no, because it was not natural
GrooveAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 06:49 PM   #28
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes... that's right.

Actually, smeagol was a pretty sneaky and mischevious guy, but for all I can tell, he was no worse than a young frodo baggins, and possibly better behaved than merry and pippen are portrayed in the movie.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:04 PM   #29
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Complementary to your argument Mr. Wayfarer, Tolkien reveals in one his letters that Sméagol was a nasty, mean Hobbit before he ever found the Ring.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:08 PM   #30
GrooveAttack
Sapling

Okay, the its settled, i guess they ARE capable of evil.
GrooveAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 12:17 PM   #31
Frodo'sGirl
Sapling

Gollum Are hobbits capable of evil?

I think they are totally capable of evil it depends on the situation
they might be evil when is comes to romance of something because that never comes up in the book among hobbits. hmmmm
interesting consept, evil hobbits mawahahaha that would be funny now that i think of it lol
Frodo'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote