Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2002, 11:20 PM   #21
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I've never read Lord of the Flies, but I think that "The Lord of the Flies" is the meaning of the Hebrew word Beelzebub. I think I heard that on Jeopardy one day and it kinda stuck. I though it was interesting. Does Beelzebub (Satan) have anything to do with the story or the possible meanings? (since you said it was an allegory)

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 12:28 AM   #22
Nibs
Head Hollara

Where's that friggin' conch? I want to reply.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 03:06 AM   #23
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

The actual "Lord of the Flies" (Beezlebub) represents the savagery in man. Basically, without civilization and laws to keep us in line, we run loose like wild animals (plus we do it even with civilization and laws). A rather dark view of mankind. As for Beezlebub representing Satan, I don't know - depends on whether William Golding was religious or not, I guess.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:26 AM   #24
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Oh great, it sounds depressing. I hate depressing books.
Nice thought Khamul (sorry if I spelled it wrong.)
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:27 AM   #25
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Yeah!!! I'm an Elven Warrior! FINALLY!
Old 03-28-2002, 11:35 PM   #26
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

It is true that Beelzebub is a Hebrew translation for Lord of the Flies, but Beelzebub is not the devil himself, just a demon who is sort of "second in command" to Satan.

Incidently, both of these characters are important in Milton's epic poem Paradise Lost, which I also had to read in my English class a few weeks ago. While I did like it somewhat better than Lord of the Flies, I'm glad we only had to read a small part of it.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:49 PM   #27
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I had to read this book for English this year. It was written really well, and it made me think, the symbolism was kinda cool and all, but it was disgusting! Yuck! And I LIKED Piggy! OMG it did give me nightmares! So I guess I kinda have an appreciation for this book, but hate it all the same.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:33 PM   #28
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Don't read it. One of the most depressing books ever. Seriously. I had nightmares about Piggy and Simon. *Shiver*
Old 09-04-2002, 02:45 PM   #29
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

All of the 'adults' in my family who have read it in the past liked it when they were younger, but hate it now, I don't know. I loved it, personally, as did most of my friends.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:43 PM   #30
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

WHAT!!! I loved the book when I read it at school! The ending was amazing. The adult turns up and suddenly the boys revert back from savagery to being well, boys. They suddenly relise what they were going to do, the first two deaths were possibly mistakes but they were actually hunting down the third boy.
And that bit where they relise that the boy with the birthmark on his face is missing after the fire. Chilling!
luv
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:05 PM   #31
entss89
lord of the ents

HI

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU THAT WAS A STUPID BOOK AND I HOLD A GRUDGE AGAINST MY TEACHER WHO MADE ME READ IT!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 10:47 AM   #32
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

It was very well written, but I didn't like it much. It was extremely pessimistic.

Rosie
Old 01-03-2003, 07:17 AM   #33
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
We are going to be studying Lord of the flies for my GCSE english exam. dont what we'll do about it. Hope it will be good.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:24 PM   #34
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
I hated it. Had to do 7 pages of BS on it...

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 05:48 PM   #35
TariCalmcacil
Hobbit

Location: a bedroom, a house, a street, a town, a state, a country, a continent, a hemisphere, a earth, a solar system, a unvierse
Re: Lord of the Flies

Quote:
Originally posted by Treebeard's apprentice
All I want to say about this book is that I think it is stupid. We had to read it for my English class, and it is just an obvious symbol for the "evils of the world" . The part I have a problem with is the ending. It is so contrived. The Navy man shows up and it just ends. Nothing is solved. I felt that reading it insulted my intelligence. What do you think?
Note:: I'm not preaching... I just like the book.

You don't need to feel that way! I had to read that book for my english class too, and i felt that, even though we beat it with a stick until it would bleed no more, reading Lord Of The Flies was a profound experience. There is alot that this book can teach you about yourself, and I usually don't see this in novels that you have to read for school. The end was significant, because the Naval officer asks, who is the leader among you, and don't you notice that Jack doesn't speak up, and Ralph does! So even in the end, Ralph was the leader. The events that rocked this novel were horrendous, Jack is a prime example of evil, as well as Roger, because he tortured the twins and released the rock on Piggy and thus, destroyed the conch. The conch was very symbolic in the novel, as was the Lord Of The Flies, who symbolized the evil in people and the devil. The thing with this book though, if you've read it once, you don't need to read it again. This will be a book that I will remember for along time.

Tari

Love is the feeling when you look in his eye, and know with a tear that you are going to get by.

Once upon a time, I was born then I died. Thats the whole story. It's the end.
TariCalmcacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:25 AM   #36
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
The symbolism is overdone, in my opinion. It's easy to do a report on, but that doesn't make it a good book. It's descriptive but not particularly insightful.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:41 PM   #37
TariCalmcacil
Hobbit

Location: a bedroom, a house, a street, a town, a state, a country, a continent, a hemisphere, a earth, a solar system, a unvierse
You are right, Beleg Strongbow because frankly, EVERYTHING in that book has some sort of symbolism. It makes you wonder what kind of free time this man had on his hands. =P Of course, it is easy to do a report on, but I do think it is insightful. It does, give you an insight on human nature though it is in the darkest way possible....

Tari

Love is the feeling when you look in his eye, and know with a tear that you are going to get by.

Once upon a time, I was born then I died. Thats the whole story. It's the end.
TariCalmcacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:51 AM   #38
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

I am reading Lord of the Flies right now. My sister has to read it for english, and I was boared, so I decided to read it. I don't think its that bad (so far). They just caught the pig.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 02:37 PM   #39
Belle
Enting

I read the book quite a long time ago and if nothing else it had a big impact on me. I thought the way the boys slowly went back on their evolution to become animals again was really great. It's up there with Animal Farm for imagery.
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Made me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote