Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2001, 05:42 PM   #21
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

I agree with you all on some points.

As far as english classes go, they're very imprtant. except for the ones at NY high schools. I swear, we spend all our time preparing for, and learning to write the essays on the English regents exam. they're not even tough essays! We don't have much time to becreative in those classes. Just how towrite an essay suited for the regents. which, of course, is different from what the colleges want in college english classes. (i take AP english this year. joy) i love writing, but not those very dry, very linear essays the regents board wants from us.

as far as LotR, and the lack of interest... The idea of fantasy has been popularized as something for little children, and losers who go to conventions (not my personal opinion, mind you, because i do go to scifi/fantasy cons!) Fantasy is a much needed escape, and it takes a whole lot more to write a good fantasy book (making up worlds, cultures, etc) than it is to write somethjng that takes place in our world. Don't get me wrong, i love shakespeare and the scarelt letter andthings like that, too (oh the list goes on) but fantasy is my passion.

I had a really great english teacher last year. We were talking about LotRand stuff. So, i'll leave you giuys with something to consider. It's impossible to do LotR in the classroom, for the reasoning of there'd be no time! I mean, you can just read one book, because i don't beleive they were ever meant to be treated as such. No one could fairly give it the kind of attention it deserves, and then then you those charming people in class who don't take it seriously. ( we had that problem last year when we did a topic on star wars. And yes, my teacher was the coolest ever)
Old 11-06-2001, 10:14 PM   #22
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

But couldn't you read the Hobbit in the classroom? It's probably not considered High School level reading material, but they could still read it in 7th or 8th grade.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 11:58 PM   #23
ringbearer
Elf Lord

from the wonderfull novel "Catch 22"...these classes
Quote:
teach you everything about literature, except how to enjoy it!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 10:42 PM   #24
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Now that I think about it, the 8th grade reading classes at my old middle school read the Hobbit. Unfortunately, the 8th grade reading classes are for the kids that aren't taking a foreign language, so I didn't get to read it in school.

As for the value of English class. It all depends on the teacher and the curriculum. I had an awesome teacher last year, so it was one of my favorite classes. Right now, I have an intern who is boring as heck (but I'm still thoroughly enjoying Macbeth).

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 11:12 PM   #25
ryan
t2t relic

Lord of the Rings in schools..

Thats wierd. We read 'the hobbit' in sixth grade, and theres an elective english class thats based around reading the lord of the rings and such.. (of course theres also one that studies "dune" and a few other wierd books ). Heh, my dad did a college term paper on tlotr when he was in college, too
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 06:07 PM   #26
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Ryan, I just suggested an elective class such as that to my friend behind me, right before I read your post, creepiness...

Our school is too incredibly cheap to do that though...They're considering cutting Speech/Debate, band, colorguard and a lot more for next year...ERGH!

I think the Hobbit could very easily be High School Reading level. My brother's in 7th and he didn't understand a lot of it. He's rather intelligent...Takes after me...

It would be fun to read LOTR in school. That's a lot better than some things I could mention. And I think I will. We just finished the Scarlet Letter in my English class. I may of been one of MAYBE 6 people who got any part of it. Just because its considered a classic doesn't mean we should be forced to read it! There are novels that are newer which focus on the same themes, and, wonder of wonders, your average teenager/college kid can actually understand more than every 5th word!

Now, contradicting myself, I like Shakespeare. Once you get past the weird language, the stories are wonderful. The same can probably apply to the classics.

BRAINSTORM!
They should focus more on learning the story and talking about it in class as opposed to reading it outside of class and praying we understood it....That's not fair!
Old 11-10-2001, 08:43 PM   #27
arynetrek
Elf Lord

Our school is too incredibly cheap to do that though...They're considering cutting Speech/Debate, band, colorguard and a lot more for next year...ERGH!

that is truly horrible. music is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL! i know not everyone's into band or choir, but for those that want it, the classes should be there. and at least in TX (where i went to high school) it was a graduation requirement from the STATE that students take a semester of speech or debate. how are they getting away with killing it?

the slaughter of electives is a horrible thing. do anything you can to stop it.

I think the Hobbit could very easily be High School Reading level. My brother's in 7th and he didn't understand a lot of it. He's rather intelligent...Takes after me...

i've always considered The Hobbit to be middle-school, but IMO people (even rather intelligent ones, which is truly sad) are not reading enough, and aren't getting in practice for reading complicated books. young americans' reading levels are dropping quickly.

It would be fun to read LOTR in school. That's a lot better than some things I could mention.

the more i think about reading LotR in school, the more i realize that teaching it requires an INCREDIBLE teacher to do justice to the book. it would be a great class if it were done right. but if the books were ruined by a careless teacher it would be a crime against the Valar.

We just finished the Scarlet Letter in my English class. I may of been one of MAYBE 6 people who got any part of it. Just because its considered a classic doesn't mean we should be forced to read it! There are novels that are newer which focus on the same themes, and, wonder of wonders, your average teenager/college kid can actually understand more than every 5th word!
Now, contradicting myself, I like Shakespeare. Once you get past the weird language, the stories are wonderful. The same can probably apply to the classics.

for the record, i did not enjoy Scarlet Letter.

older or unused language is a big barrier for some people - my English class this semester focuses on Faulkner, i have to read about a chapter before i "get into" his language & style. again, i blame the lack of reading in american society. (yes, i'm part of this problem too, grr)

why teach classics? Because some of them are wonderful books that students wouldn't read otherwise (in my case, The Sound & The Fury). and i've always thought Shakespeare was included in "The Classics."

aryne *

Last edited by arynetrek : 12-06-2001 at 01:48 AM.
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 06:22 PM   #28
Serena
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

I'd like to see LOTR done in the our english classes, too, but most teachers wouldn't be up to it (especially with me in the class!)

Still, it would be better than my current english curriclum, "The Methodical dissection of Hamlet". I like Shakespeare, but two and a half months on one play and we're not done yet . . . .ahhhh!

I'm sneaking LOTR in, though, for my independent presentation. Of course, than my teacher wanted comprehensive notes on plot, setting, theme, character, and almost every literary device you can name, so now my notes are humongous. Oh well, I can put up with a lot of note-taking if it means I get to actually bring LOTR into a classroom.

I've ranted enough here. Bye!

Last edited by Serena : 11-12-2001 at 06:26 PM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 12:19 AM   #29
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

You're absolutely right, it would take a good teacher to teach LOTR in class....

IDEA!

Why couldn't there just be a teacher supervisor and a student teaching the class...? FUN!

I have more, but its late here, and I'm tired. We'll see about it tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:51 PM   #30
Losttaliel
Sapling

English teachers

In my school, my english teacher told our class to avoid fantasy at all costs; I ignored her and gave a talk on Tolkein's universe for 10 mins. Got an A* and an angry teacher . It's difficult to beleive that english teachers actualy DON'T like fantasy. My science teacher has read a greater variety of works than my english one!

(Please forgive all stuff that makes no sence and has no place; I've only been online 4 a month and I'm not good at messige bords)
Losttaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 08:04 PM   #31
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Quote:
My science teacher has read a greater variety of works than my english one!
That's great. My mom's an English teacher. She hasn't read LOTR either. I wonder if my teacher has? We have a Nazi (not an actually one) for a teacher but the Student Teacher is really cool. He probably has.

Quote:
(Please forgive all stuff that makes no sence and has no place; I've only been online 4 a month and I'm not good at messige bords)
Don't fret. Few people make sense ever. Seledomly do I...

Quote:
I like Shakespeare, but two and a half months on one play and we're not done yet . . . .ahhhh!
We did Romeo and Juliet in...about 2 weeks, I think, last year. We had a great teacher though.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:00 AM   #32
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Despair not. All you need to do to take a outstanding Tolkien course is attend Rice University in Houston TX. A full semester of heaven, covering The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion, along with Beowulf (Tolkien once did a translation), The Monsters and the Critics, and The Battle of Malden.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 08:03 AM   #33
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Re: English teachers

Quote:
Originally posted by Losttaliel
In my school, my english teacher told our class to avoid fantasy at all costs; I ignored her and gave a talk on Tolkein's universe for 10 mins. Got an A* and an angry teacher . It's difficult to beleive that english teachers actualy DON'T like fantasy. My science teacher has read a greater variety of works than my english one!
Well, my Lithuanian teacher also hates fantasy. When we have to talk about books we read, she always says: "No fantasy, because fantasy is not worth reading" I think that she has read a few fantasy books which really were not worth reading. And now she thinks that ALL fantasy isn't worth reading. I simply don't take this serious.
And my English teacher... I don't know if she has read any other books than English elementaries, dictionaries and magazines for women
Old 11-17-2001, 09:22 AM   #34
Losttaliel
Sapling

Re: Re: English teachers

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas

Well, my Lithuanian teacher also hates fantasy. When we have to talk about books we read, she always says: "No fantasy, because fantasy is not worth reading"
Tell her that talking about books "you have read" but "not fantasy"is a contrediction in terms, a breach of the rights of the individual and is against free speach. .
And don't tell her, but I bet if she tried to read it LOTR she would find it too Challenging!
Old 11-17-2001, 12:25 PM   #35
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Re: Re: Re: English teachers

Quote:
Originally posted by Losttaliel
Tell her that talking about books "you have read" but "not fantasy"is a contrediction in terms, a breach of the rights of the individual and is against free speach. .
And don't tell her, but I bet if she tried to read it LOTR she would find it too Challenging! [/COLOR]
I think that there are many of LotR fans in my school (even six in my class from 26 overall students). That's why my Lith teacher is afraid of them and that's why she doesn't want to talk about it and even to read it!
Old 11-17-2001, 02:51 PM   #36
Losttaliel
Sapling

Re: Re: Re: Re: English teachers

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas

I think that there are many of LotR fans in my school (even six in my class from 26 overall students). That's why my Lith teacher is afraid of them and that's why she doesn't want to talk about it and even to read it!
That many? In my school most people I know haven't even HEARD of LotR! Most of my class thinks I'm mad since I was chatting with my freind about the 'history of middle earth' in maths (only one out of my six friends has read it). And they also think I'm some sort of devil worshiper because I was trying to copy out Tolkein's elf runes for art (Yes, some people are strange and do stuff like that), and someone found the page of symbols. Honestly, some people are dum.
Old 11-17-2001, 05:24 PM   #37
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

You people in 'civilization' have a serious problem.

Many, Many of my friends are avid tolkien fans. I helps that I splug every time I get the chance.

Recently, someone I know went off about the harry potter movie. Half the people in the room answered with variations of "Lord of the Rings. That's all I have to say".

I love the middle of nowhere.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:26 AM   #38
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Three of my best friends have read the book when they were very young and now they have persuaded me to read the book. I've read it and I liked it very much.
For the runes - I know them all, I often write with them (even in physics or maths notebooks) and if anyone asks what it is, I say: "These are the old scandinavian runes". They believe it
And I'm often chatting with my friends about languages Tolkien invented.
Old 11-18-2001, 04:30 PM   #39
Losttaliel
Sapling

Two of my freinds (even one who hasn't read the book) and I have a symbol we put on everything which is basicaly the first letter of our names in Elfrunes joined up! I soppose in doing that I asked for "devil worshiper". Oh well. . Tolkein is my mates latest "theme". (Hence the name 'Lostaliel'. Don't ask how I got it, 'Cause I don't know). It's surprising to watch someone whos never read LotR talk about Elves. Honestly, my poor english teacher! Three of us sit in the back of her lesson talking about Elves and Tolkein all lesson (even though 2 of the tree have NO idea!). And because we know about it and she doesn't, she never complains. Last time she tried, I started to quote poetry from LotR, asking for pointers from the others. And she can't complain about Tolkein's Poetry! It's excelent, as far as it goes in an English lesson. Especialy the ryming scheme. They should have done our Poetry module on his stuff. Poor woman. Scared her, I think. After all, she'd just quoted "All that is gold does not glitter, all who wader are not lost" :-D
Old 11-18-2001, 04:31 PM   #40
Losttaliel
Sapling

Two of my freinds (even one who hasn't read the book) and I have a symbol we put on everything which is basicaly the first letter of our names in Elfrunes joined up! I soppose in doing that I asked for "devil worshiper". Oh well. . Tolkein is my mates latest "theme". (Hence the name 'Lostaliel'. Don't ask how I got it, 'Cause I don't know). It's surprising to watch someone whos never read LotR talk about Elves. Honestly, my poor english teacher! Three of us sit in the back of her lesson talking about Elves and Tolkein all lesson (even though 2 of the tree have NO idea!). And because we know about it and she doesn't, she never complains. Last time she tried, I started to quote poetry from LotR, asking for pointers from the others. And she can't complain about Tolkein's Poetry! It's excelent, as far as it goes in an English lesson. Especialy the ryming scheme. They should have done our Poetry module on his stuff. Poor woman. Scared her, I think. After all, she'd just quoted "All that is gold does not glitter, all who wader are not lost" :-D