Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2003, 12:20 AM   #21
azalea
Long lost mooter

It wasn't so confusing that I couldn't understand it, but I'll admit I did rewind a few times (but I like to do that anyway, to others' great annoyance).

Was it based on a book? If so, I'd love to read it.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 06:55 AM   #22
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I don't think so
Have you watched Minority Report?
That was based on a short story. I think that was harder to get than the Matrix. It gets a tad confusing
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 07:14 AM   #23
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Thanks for the link.
We started to watch it yesterday (I have seen the movie like 6 times before) and our teacher gave us a similar copy of this. Explaining all the names and so on.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:27 PM   #24
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The Matrix was an original story, though the philosophy behind it can be traced way, way back, and there's definitely a lot of very direct symbolism.

And on a tangent here... I absolutely adored Minority Report, though I've never read Philip K. Dick's original short story, and it's one of those films where you'll catch something new every time you see it if you didn't really get it the first time.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 11:24 PM   #25
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I just watch it again tonight. Such a great movie. Story, composition, technology, soundtrack, sets; everything is great.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 11:35 PM   #26
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
...the philosophy behind it can be traced way, way back, and there's definitely a lot of very direct symbolism.

I'd love to hear more about this if you ever have time. Is there commentary about it on the dvd?

(Minority Report -- another one I kept rewinding on! Great movie!)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 02:48 AM   #27
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
I just watch it again tonight. Such a great movie. Story, composition, technology, soundtrack, sets; everything is great.
Except for the screen play. I hope they do a better job with the scripts for the next two movies.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:41 AM   #28
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Except for the screen play. I hope they do a better job with the scripts for the next two movies.
Matrix One
"You are the one."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"Well, OK."

Matrix 2

"I'm the one."
"No, your not"
"am too"
Well, OK"

Matrix 3

"I'm still the one"
"but your dead"
"then she's the one"
"ahhhh, I see"
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:24 AM   #29
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
(Minority Report -- another one I kept rewinding on! Great movie!)
Yeah, I really liked Minority Report, too.
Quote:
Except for the screen play. I hope they do a better job with the scripts for the next two movies
What's wrong with the screenplay?
Old 04-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #30
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Loved the Matrix. Favorite guy was Mouse, the little programmer guy.
Lots of Christian parallels in the game Deus Ex. Brilliant game- I recommend getting it. Sequel is slotted for June.
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 03:43 AM   #31
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I just love the first movie and I'm really looking forward to the next two.
We soon shall watch the first one again - in our catholic lessons (I don't know how to call in english). Our teacher says that Matrix has something to do with god and believing. Well, let's see.

ure teacher is an idiot. she's dumb. kill her!

god and matrix. god is she crazy or wht?

matrix is all about good programming.

believe me, God is messing around with ure teacher.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:34 AM   #32
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I don't think that my teacher is an idiot and we talked about the movie and there are things that are similar to the christian believings.
Yesterday I watched Crouching Tiger & Hidden Dragon, betweed it and the Matrix are so many similarities. It's unbelievable.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:39 AM   #33
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Matrix One
"You are the one."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"Well, OK."

Matrix 2

"I'm the one."
"No, your not"
"am too"
Well, OK"

Matrix 3

"I'm still the one"
"but your dead"
"then she's the one"
"ahhhh, I see"

I like the movie, in fact I just got around to buying a copy last Monday...............

I just wish they'd picked a different actor than Keanu Reeves, that guy is about as charismatic as a eunuch in an orgy

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 07:26 AM   #34
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
I don't think that my teacher is an idiot and we talked about the movie and there are things that are similar to the christian believings.
Yesterday I watched Crouching Tiger & Hidden Dragon, betweed it and the Matrix are so many similarities. It's unbelievable.
i found some similarities. if not with christianism, at least with christian moratlity.

what it's clear to me, congressmn, is that it's not "about good programming" what do you mean with that?

matrix is about the way you choose in your life. it first affirms that free will does exist. cannot remember the quote, but i think it's in the first dialogue between Neo and Morpheus. Neo refuses to think his life is determined and chooses to tread his own way though he knows that may be perilous. The Matrix is an imagine of determinism against free will.

then, we have Cypher's choice. (thre's an obvious refference in his name to Lucifer). he chooses a life full of pleasures, but most of all, the forfeit he asks for his betrayal is "don't remember anything". in other words, he refuse to "know the truth" of his life.

christian morality is based on this idea: man is free to choose, but his choice must be based in the truth. his choice is right (good) if he lives in the truth; if he lives in the wrong or does not want to know the truth, he's choosing the evil.

this is opposed to relativism, where the existence of "truth" is denied, and so the free will is only free choice and morality dissappears.

IMHO Matrix is related to Christian morality because it affirms the existence of a difficult-to-know and difficul-to-choose truth.

the programming stuff is also funny, though
Old 04-05-2003, 08:28 AM   #35
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I like your description Fat Middle.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:29 AM   #36
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
i found some similarities. if not with christianism, at least with christian moratlity.

what it's clear to me, congressmn, is that it's not "about good programming" what do you mean with that?

matrix is about the way you choose in your life. it first affirms that free will does exist. cannot remember the quote, but i think it's in the first dialogue between Neo and Morpheus. Neo refuses to think his life is determined and chooses to tread his own way though he knows that may be perilous. The Matrix is an imagine of determinism against free will.

then, we have Cypher's choice. (thre's an obvious refference in his name to Lucifer). he chooses a life full of pleasures, but most of all, the forfeit he asks for his betrayal is "don't remember anything". in other words, he refuse to "know the truth" of his life.

christian morality is based on this idea: man is free to choose, but his choice must be based in the truth. his choice is right (good) if he lives in the truth; if he lives in the wrong or does not want to know the truth, he's choosing the evil.

this is opposed to relativism, where the existence of "truth" is denied, and so the free will is only free choice and morality dissappears.

IMHO Matrix is related to Christian morality because it affirms the existence of a difficult-to-know and difficul-to-choose truth.

the programming stuff is also funny, though
Interesting. I always saw the film as more of an allegory about throwing off the restraints of christianity tho'..

If we look at some of the more obvious symbolism-

When Morpheous offers the choice of the red pill, or the blue pill. Everyone can see the reflection of the tale of The Serpent offering Adam and Eve the choice to eat from The Tree of Knowledge.

Zion, the last human city, is descibred as being "Deep underground, near the earth's core, where it is still warm".....pretty much where folks used to believe Hell was.

The real world is a desert that has a burning sky, see The Book of Revalations for that one

Agent Smith describes the first Matrix as "A paradise, a perfect world.........it was a disaster, Humans would not accept the program"........that pretty much sums up the whole book of Genesis.

The only way Neo can defeat the Matrix is by refusing to conform to the "natural" laws the Matrix has placed upon him...........to beat the Matrix he has to believe that it has no power over him.

Cypher's choice is more about returning to a life of blissfull ingnorance. He would rather take comfort in the illusion that is the Matrix and deny the truth. He has seen the truth, and he hates it.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 08:30 AM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Yeah, I really liked Minority Report, too.

What's wrong with the screenplay?
The script is very cheesey, and wooden, IMO. Cirdan did a pretty good example.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:31 AM   #38
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

It is ALL ABOUT GOOD PROGRAMMING.

tell me seomthing: there would be NO MATRIX if there wasnt AI, and AI was a result of good programming.

sO IN conlusion and summary, good programming brings the end of a notable era of men. They had spread like a virus, and eventually their programming talents KILL THEM, well kinda any way, in a notable context at least.

And talkin bout christianity and the oracle's predictions, they are all so wrong. NEO was the ONE.

I think the watchowski brothers inadvertently put some christianity there if you know wht i mean.

So it's all about GOOD PROGRAMMING ANd it ain not one bit funny.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:29 PM   #39
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

yeah
Old 04-05-2003, 12:58 PM   #40
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

yeah, it might be about good programming, but in the background it still has something to do with christianity, like some explained above.
And another thing. ZION is actually a place from the bible.