Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-01-2001, 08:54 AM   #21
XRogue
Elven Warrior

No problem. Something like the Nuremberg trials might be an idea. What these people have done is a crime, etc. We'll get accused of trying them in a kangaroo court, just like the Big Three were accused of doing at Nuremberg, but heck, whatever we do, we'll get accused of wrongdoing somewhere along the line, rightly or wrongly.

Something that occurred to me lately, is that execution may not be a appropriate punishment in this case. Mind you, I believe in the death penalty, but these guys have already shown that they don't care about being dead. Heck, the mullahs the terrorist organizations have preach that if you die for Islam, you get a direct pass to paradise. That explains the steady supply of suicide bombers (and now, I suppose, suicide pilots).

Wouldn't it be a bigger punishment to deprive these guys of a violent death in that case? What would be an effective deterring punishment?

Last edited by XRogue : 10-02-2001 at 10:18 PM.
XRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 02:38 PM   #22
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

i don't know if there is a "right" punishment. some ppl want them to die, others want him to be locked up, and i'm sure the ppl on his side see this as justice being served to us. there's no impartiality here, either. Personally, i say we lock him up here in america where he has the benefit of how nice we are to our ppl, even criminals.
Darkhalcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 06:48 PM   #23
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

(This is Miriel Stormrider)
Locking him up does sound much better than killing him, Halcyon. From a vengeful point of view, you couldn't make him suffer enough to pay for what has been done. I don't believe in the death penalty. However, I do believe in justice. As Tolkien said:
"I'm sorry ," said Frodo. "But I am frightened; and I do not feel any pity for Gollum."
"You have not seen him," Gandalf broke in.
"No, and I don't want to," said Frodo. "I can't understand you. Do you mean to say that you, and the Elves, have let hime live on after all those horrible deeds? Now at any rate he is as bad as an Orc, and just an enemy. He deserves death."
"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
(Remember that it was Gollum who fell with the ring into Mt. Doom.)

Of course, this could all end up being moot if we nuke him.( Which to me is not the same as executing him.)

-Miriel Stormrider
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 08:07 PM   #24
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

In my mind, deserving it doesn't matter. That someone 'deserves' punishment is, really, a moot point, as Gandalf says. Lock him up, or kill him, not for vengeance, not for bloody retribution - but so that he won't do it again. So that, hopefully, terrorism will become more difficult for people to do.
Old 10-04-2001, 05:55 PM   #25
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

That's right Mathron! I strongly believe in the death penalty, but if we kill him, he'll become a martyr to the terrorists and probably set off more attacks. Lock him up!
Old 10-04-2001, 11:02 PM   #26
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well put, Mathron!
(kinda what I was trying to say, but I have a hard time accurately expressing myself. )

-Miriel Stormrider
Old 10-05-2001, 09:59 AM   #27
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

oh i don't know sis, i thought you did a good job.

-tessseract12
Old 10-05-2001, 10:56 AM   #28
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

There is an interesting theory put forward several years ago that the next war will be between civilizations. The West vs Islam would fit such a theory.
The statements made by many leaders and people "on the street" in Islamic nations or held areas, show they do not have a desire for the truth unless it is their truth.
It's the Crusades all over again.
Old 10-05-2001, 02:31 PM   #29
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

It just goes to show you that the world needs more tolkien fans.

As for West vs Islam, i think that the muslims (some not all) are already warring with the West. Take Israel, they're a "western" country, as far as their way of living goes. Which is part of the reason for attacking the US. However, they use terrorist tactics, one can only assume their standing armies may have a tough time if a war by western standards were to break loose.

Let's all hope there isn't a war; the prospect for more fighting scares me soooo much.