Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-07-2001, 04:35 PM   #21
Idril Celebrindal

Re: Whats the first book you ever read?

I read LotR in middle school... I was only in middle school for a year, so I was either 11 or 12 at the time. I read the Hobbit several years before that, although I can't remember exactly how long...
Old 08-02-2001, 11:11 PM   #22
Theodred21

Re: Whats the first book you ever read?

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss, I love that book! :lol:
Old 09-13-2001, 09:48 PM   #23
Sakata
Elven Warrior

I second that! Dr. Seuss is a genuis!

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 06:17 AM   #24
poppy
Hobbit

I always remember my grandad reading fairy tales and fantasy books to me when i was younger, the first one i read on my own was Beauty and the Beast, but i didnt find the Hobbit till i was nearly 14 which i think is a real shame so i introduced my nine year old daughter to it when she was about 5 or 6 i hope she loves it as much as i do.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 09:30 PM   #25
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Don't remember what childrens books I read. The first novel I read was "Tom Sawyer". (loved it!)

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 02:09 PM   #26
Varda
Elven Warrior

i don't remember my very first book.. i went to the library a lot when i was little, and there was an old lady there who did story time. the first chapter book i read was All Dogs Go to Heaven... there's a kids' movie about that, and i think there is or was a tv show too.... before that i remember really liking this one book about a rabbit who runs away from home, but his mother is really always there and always finds him... she's in the sky and the clouds and teh wind and the grass and everything... it was very beautiful... i also liked pooh and dr. seus (i still do!) and i remember another lovely book about a girl sitting at home who is visited by a woman in a carriage pulled by a golden lion. and there was something to do with yellow roses that were the same color as the lion. oh and i liked (and still love) the narnia books by cs lewis....
Old 10-10-2001, 11:05 PM   #27
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

and i remember another lovely book about a girl sitting at home who is visited by a woman in a carriage pulled by a golden lion. and there was something to do with yellow roses that were the same color as the lion.

I loved that book, too! It's called "When the Sun Rose." My best friend gave it to me when I was about six. I started reading when I was three...dear old Dr. Suess.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 03:01 PM   #28
Lis Kester
Sapling

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. CS Lewis. My mom started out reading me a chapter a night, but I got too impatient and hid behind the couch to finish it!
Lis Kester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 10:35 PM   #29
Alethes
Enting

I don't remember the very first book I read, but I remember reading a lot of Dr. Seuss, Richard Scarry, and Golden Books, and a series about Oliver and Amanda Pig (the books were written as though Oliver and Amanda were kids, except they were pigs).

My parents used to read me this book called "We Play". It was like an early-elementary school reader-- "Look! There is Bobby. Watch Bobby go down the slide. Oops! Bobby fell down!" etc. After a while, my parents started to hide the book so they wouldn't have to read it. I somehow always managed to find the book after a month or two.
-Proverbs 22:11
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 01:14 AM   #30
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Are You My Mother? I memorized it too. My first novel length book was The Hobbit.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 01:30 AM   #31
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

My first book was 'Pat the bunny'
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:39 PM   #32
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Tom Thumb and Tumbelina...My tastes shifted to "bigger" things like The Little Prince and then The Hobbit...

..I watched the Bakshi movie before reading LOTR so was quite surprised to see Gollum in there.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 06:02 PM   #33
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Pookins Gets Her Way...I read it when I was four, I think. I still have that book, it's all worn. It's very funny, in a little kid kind of way. I don't know what my first 'novel sized' book was, but ONE of the first books I read with chapters was a baby sitter's club book. I think I read it in first or second grade, because I was bugging my sister, so she handed it to me
Old 02-05-2002, 10:27 PM   #34
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

was she babysitting you back then, Starr Polish?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:22 PM   #35
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Who, Pookins or my sister?

I don't think so, but I always thought my older sister was so cool...she is six years older than me, so of course my constant presence bugged her.
Old 03-23-2002, 01:30 AM   #36
snoopy
Hobbit

One of the first books i ever read was hand, hand, finger thumb, by doctor sues.

I think that was one of my all time favorites!!
"Curse it! curse it! curse it!" hissed Gollum. "Curse the Baggins! It's gone! What has it got in its pocketses? Oh we guess, we guess, my precious. He's found it, yes he must have. My birthday-present."
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 10:04 PM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Enid Blyton's the Secret Seven. I can't even remember which one it was, but this was my first attempt to read a "big" book, I remember it was because I was sick, and really bored one day, when I was in Junior 2 (7-8 years of age). Now, while I don't read these books anymore, there is always going to be a sense of nostalgia for Enid Blyton.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:31 PM   #38
Brimvalir
Elven Warrior

First Book

I cant remember the title - all I know is that the cover had Bears on the front and it wasnt three little bears..... ?

All that is gold does not glitter nor are all those who wander lost......
Brimvalir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 12:43 AM   #39
Jadera
Elven Warrior

Whoa...flashback....

The very first story I ever read on my own was the Easter story on one of those Sunday school lessons things when I was like....I don't know...three?
My mom read Peter Pan to me all the time when I was little, and Paddington Bear (didn't he get lost in the mall, or something?)
And I vaguely remember a book about a lion whose hair falls out....
Green Eggs and Ham was another early exposure. Gosh, I love that book....

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 01:02 AM   #40
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Re: First Book

Quote:
Originally posted by Brimvalir
I cant remember the title - all I know is that the cover had Bears on the front and it wasnt three little bears..... ?
Beresford Bears?