FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2000, 01:28 AM   #21
Brrzap

Re: Brewhaha

That WOULD have been pretty interesting... I love the Walkers of Sigma 957 tho
Old 08-27-2000, 01:32 AM   #22
Brewhaha

Whoops, sorry about my post up there, thats just my alternate name and I forgot to switch
Old 09-13-2000, 07:40 PM   #23
inSANaTEE Ordrin

Dune Atreides was pretty good in my opinion. Sometimes it did get to be a bit much, but I did think that KJA and Herberts son did do a good job in covering the bases. It is not really that close to the level that Herbert had reached and attained, but for its story line, I will say that it was enjoyable.
Old 09-13-2000, 08:01 PM   #24
Wizard of the Secret Fire

The Foundation series by Asimov (even Tolkien liked Asimov)

2001 and some other books by Clarke
Old 09-15-2000, 03:17 PM   #25
Miralys

I can't say I enjoy the whole series but most of the Star Wars novels are good, especially the Zahn ones. I don't read too much Star Trek any more but I enjoyed Diane Carey and JM Dillard. I read Robotech a while back and even though it was a vast departure from my usual regimen it was good. Better than I thought it would be, with great detail and plot movement. I just got done reading Stranger in a Strange Land. Excellent book IMHO. A real chin-puller. I'm halfway through Starship Troopers and can't wait to get back to it. I havent read enough of his work to tell for sure but I'll put a vote in Heinlein as well. And even though I don't care much for Arthur C. Clarke, Childhood's End just totally blew me away.
Old 09-15-2000, 05:23 PM   #26
Film Hobbit

If you want REALLY good Heinlien, you MUST check out The Door Into Summer.
Old 09-18-2000, 08:21 PM   #27
Miralys

Thanks for the reccomendation. I'm afraid I'm a bit cramped for time at the moment but after all of these annoying tests and papers are seen to I'll definitely check it out.
Old 09-21-2000, 02:03 PM   #28
GlaurungTheGold

Quote:
Here's the Foundation series in the order of happenings in the books:

Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth
OK, is that the order in which I should read them? or should i read them in the order in which they were written?
I've really been meaning to read them and the local Barnes and Noble has them all.
But I've also been meaning to read the Dune books (well i read the first one a while ago) and I haven't read the Hitchhiker's books in over a year so i need to reread them THEN comes rereading LotR and the Silmarillion and rereading the Wheel of Time unless i find another series to interest me
Old 09-21-2000, 03:31 PM   #29
juntel

My personal advice, which may not be shared by others, is to especially read the original trilogy first (foundation, foundation and empire, second foundation).

In fact, reading these books in their order of publication is highly recomended.

And then I would reread all the lot in the order you listed them above (ie in the story's chronological order).
Old 09-24-2000, 08:15 PM   #30
Gilthalion

My Favorites in Order

I think juntel is absolutely right, though I haven't read all of the latter published novels.

1. Foundation Trilogy --Isaac Asimov
2. Future History/Lazarus Long --Robert A. Heilein
3. Mars Trilogy --Kim Stanley Robinson
4. John Carter of Mars --Edgar Rice Burroughs
5. Original Classic Star Trek Novels/ --James (?)
6. The Truth Machine/The First Immortal --James L. Halperin
7. Doc Savage --various pulp writers...

Those are the only actual series that jump out at me right now...

I've read some of the other stuff y'all have mentioned but these are my favorites!
Old 09-24-2000, 10:25 PM   #31
juntel

Re: My Favorites in Order

"5. Original Classic Star Trek Novels/ --James (?)"

James Blish... although I'm sure he's more the editor or that novel series, from the tv scenarios.

Also liked DocSavage: and just loved the humor in the movie Doc Savage with Ron "Tarzan" Eli as the hero.
Anyone seen it?
Old 09-24-2000, 11:19 PM   #32
Gilthalion

I didn't know anyone else in the world had seen it!

I did like it, though I was a teen last time I saw it. It was humorous, too, and I liked that!

I developed a taste for John Phillip Sousa marches after that...
Old 09-29-2000, 11:20 PM   #33
GlaurungTheGold

Well, I just finished Foundation, and i loved it... I don't see how anyone could not like it, it's just so involving and complex...
Old 09-29-2000, 11:39 PM   #34
Finduilas

My favourite sf/fantasy includes
The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon
The Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey (anyone read "Brightly Burning" yet?)
The Darkover books by Marion Zimmer Bradley
and of course, J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 09-30-2000, 08:50 PM   #35
SarahStar

!

I've read Brightly Burning! It was great! Such a relief after the last set---I loved the hidden subtext (ok, so maybe that's the wrong term, but I like to say "hidden subtext") with Kalira. If you haven't read the book, btw, that's not a spoiler. (I am obsessive about not giving spoilers.)

I think I'm going to like you people. Most of you seem to agree with my tastes. I am, however, a little surprised by the Star Wars contingent here.

For one thing, I wasn't aware that anyone actually liked The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. I think this is the first time I've ever encountered anyone who didn't actively dislike it. (I'm usually somewhat generous about these things---I'll even admit that The Crystal Star has merit, for goodness sakes, but The Bounty Hunter Wars? C'mon, Bossk is a lizard skin dress!) Please feel free to try to convince me I'm wrong. Since I own the entire trilogy, I'd really rather appreciate it if you could convince me they weren't a waste of my money. Meanwhile, I suggest reading the X-wing books. They are excellent. (::fights compulsion to go on campaign to convert entire board into X-wing fans:: )

Other stuff I like:
-anything by Anne McCaffrey, especially Pern and The Tower and the Hive
-Piers Anthony's Xanth books :lol:
-David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean (his other stuff is good, too)
-Ann Crispin's StarBridge books (I realize most people have probably never heard of these, but they're really quite fun and the fight to locate the books has made me rather attached to them)
Old 09-30-2000, 10:42 PM   #36
Finduilas

Re: !

If you want to argue Brightly Burning with me, I have an empty thread for it on my board, where seeing nobody talks about it, I think we don't have to worry about spoilers.
Old 10-19-2000, 03:09 AM   #37
The Black Lieutenant

Re: Dune House Atreides

Hi I'm new here and I figured this would be as good a place as any to post my first message on this board that wasn't an advertisement.

I'm reading House Atreides now and I have to agree it's really good. Better than I expected. Can't wait to read House Harkonnen next.

BTW, If you have the Sci-fi Channel, they're making a Dune miniseries which might turn out to be pretty decent. Looks like they're going for a happy medium between the book and the movie.
Old 10-19-2000, 01:15 PM   #38
Film Hobbit

I know, I wish I had Sci-Fi
Old 10-19-2000, 03:45 PM   #39
Salli Canaliya

Personally, I'm happy not having the wonderful Sci-Fi channel. They are really quite talented at ruining previously good science fiction. But perhaps Dune is something they can handle. We can always hope.

(Not that the Sci-Fi channel doesn't have plenty of perfectly good stuff, but I have yet to forgive them for what they did to Sliders, and I couldn't resist bringing this up.)

Although I must admit that if I was a Dune fan, I'd be quite interested right now.
Old 10-20-2000, 01:33 PM   #40
Film Hobbit

Actually I want Sci-Fi for their re-runs of old shows