Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2000, 07:25 PM   #21
Salli Canaliya

Re: Terry Brooks and Shannara

I'm glad to know the new one is good. But I am so waiting for them all, even if it takes a long time. The stuff on Amazon actually says that the end makes you really want more, and that drives me crazy.

(Ever since I read Wedge's Gamble without a copy of The Krytos Trap on hand, I am wary of cliffhangers. And I only had to wait a few weeks for that one. )
Old 10-20-2000, 02:06 AM   #22
Tai daishar

Yeah, Terry Brooks really knows when to end a novel, or when not to, depending on how you look at it. It starts getting really exciting, and your reading as fast as you can to see whats gonna happen next, and *poof* you see,

"Here ends Book One of The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara. Book Two, Antrax, will reveal. . . ."

I could have finished that off, but I don't want to give anything away.
Old 11-12-2000, 08:09 PM   #23
Tai daishar

Has anyone else read The voyage of the Jerrle Shannara Book 1?
Old 11-20-2000, 02:32 AM   #24
SahanaElf

So far I've read the Shannara trilogy and the first three of the Heritage of Shannara (Scions, Druid, Elf Queen). Because the Talismans of Shannara isn't at my library I haven't read it yet o.O Need to know what happens! Aaaaaarrghhh!! *hits head against desk* I'm getting Ilse Witch for my birthday, in eight days ^_^ Still to read First King as well...
Old 01-07-2001, 12:08 AM   #25
Lief Erikson

I've read all the Shannara books except the first one and the most recent. I read part one of the First King of Shannara, but the part where the Warlock Lord's servants attack the Druid Castle was overly gruesome, and the plot didn't seem quite as well developed as the later books. I might try it again later, but I'm looking forward to reading the new Shannara book.
Old 02-20-2001, 07:24 PM   #26
biriwilg

Our library has a copy of Ilse Witch, but SOMEBODY has had it checked out for the last couple of MONTHS! I am dying to read it! Oooh!
Old 02-21-2001, 05:32 AM   #27
Lief Erikson

I finished every book that was out, except for the Isle Witch, so I had started new series of books, like the Wheel of Time. I have been glancing in the Terry Brooks row almost every time I go, but last time I went, I was in for a surprise.

I'd just finished collecting my books and was waiting outside the movie area for Mom to come out, and lying on the table next to me was The Isle Witch! After a while, it appeared that nobody was going to come back and claim it, but we decided to leave it anyway, because it still could have been already collected by someone. But I tell you, I was seriously considering taking the book and going off with it. I'm going to be keeping a sharp eye out for it, and I hope that that isn't the only time in a long while that I see it.
Old 03-07-2001, 01:01 AM   #28
Tai daishar

The only problem I had while reading Ilse Witch was that they sometimes refered to stuff that happened in the previous books, and its been so long, that I've kinda forgotten what all happened.

Oh, and does anyone know when book 2 comes out?
Old 03-19-2001, 08:31 PM   #29
biriwilg

Knight of the Word

has anyone read this series? I've only read the second one, A Knight of the Word, but I think the first one is called Running with the Demons. The second one was VERY good. I look forward to reading the first one.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:11 PM   #30
Lief Erikson

Re: Knight of the Word

I've seen them in the library before, but never read them. If they really are that good, perhaps I'll have to try them out. I already read the Shannara series and started the Kingdom of Landover. I didn't like the Landover ones very much, but the Shannara books are great.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:19 PM   #31
biriwilg

Landover

Landover is kind of so-so, but the Word book that I read was really one of his best.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:26 PM   #32
Lief Erikson

Re: Landover

Okay,

Mental note taken: I've got to get that book from the library next time I go there.

Now, although this may be slightly off topic, I recommend the Wheel of Time as a great series to read. A little bit difficult if you aren't used to weird names, but still a very good read.
Old 03-23-2001, 03:59 AM   #33
Tai daishar

Yeah, Running with the Demon, A Knight of the Word, and Angel Fire East. I read all those. They were pretty good.
Old 03-24-2001, 07:34 PM   #34
KayQy

I read the first two Shannara novels, then had an argument with my brother about things like whether he was copying Tolkien and how you pronounce Allanon (Me: Al-LAN-on, Him: AL-anon, which sounds like an Alcoholics group to me. Which is it?) After that, I dropped them. I saw the latest Shannara novel in the bookstore lately, and I'm thinking that maybe I should give it another chance. But would it make sense to me, not having read most of the series? I don't think I can find the previous ones around here...
Old 03-26-2001, 11:04 PM   #35
Lief Erikson

The first four Shannara books don't really link directly in plot, they are pretty much separate stories. The other ones are in a series, and they are probably the best ones.

Of the other series, I saw "Running with the Demon" in my local library, but the others aren't really there. Is this the first one, and what is the exact order?
Old 04-01-2001, 11:34 PM   #36
Tai daishar

I've never heard Allanon pronounced out loud, but I've always thought it was Al-a-non.

Yes, that's the first one. Here they are in order: Running with the Demon, A Knight of the Word, and Angel Fire East.