Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #21
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Another thought...could it be Aragorn? "range" made me think of a "Ranger," which he was, and when he took his place as King of Gondor he was "at the end of his range." The "last horn blowing" could then refer to the last battle horn, because when he was crowned king the battle against Sauron was over...
I like your thinking, Elleth. Quite creative. I have a feeling you just might be the one who eventually figures it out!

The rangers are not part of this riddle. Also, it is not necessarily a battle horn.

Keep guessing!
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #22
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
I like your thinking, Elleth. Quite creative. I have a feeling you just might be the one who eventually figures it out!

The rangers are not part of this riddle. Also, it is not necessarily a battle horn.

Keep guessing!
Hm.....my free association skills are becoming blunter as it gets later...let me get out my books and look a little
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #23
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Keith - I actually remembered the Standard yesterday morning after I left the house. Or - thought of it again, or whatever. I focus more on the Northern Branch of the Dunedain, so the Southern Branch things didn't quite register so much.

This 'horn' one is tough. Sometimes the short ones are, since they give so little to go on. And sometimes can even get ambiguous.

I thought the algebra might have been that group/firm - but didn't recall the names.
Yay! I was hoping you would remember it on your own. No matter what your "focus" you are the wisest loremaster of the Dunedain in all Entmoot. That is why I expect so much out of you when my riddles concern them.

You well know that the short riddles can be real posers! I have faith that someone will figure this one out ah, shortly. After all, we are the Riddlers Of Entmoot! No other site can claim to surpass us!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #24
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Could you give us a hint on the use of the word "range?" It's stumping me and my two guesses have already been rejected...
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #25
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Here's a short one:

Because of me,
The shortened are lengthened,
because of me,
the wounded are strengthened,
because of me,
the hungry are full and
after I've passed,
the norm is restored.

Good luck riddlers!
Could it be the Entwives? Tending gardens and caring for the land? Well, it's a guess anyway... Nice riddle, EllethValatari!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #26
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Could you give us a hint on the use of the word "range?" It's stumping me and my two guesses have already been rejected...
In a way you have answered your own question. Two strikes on those interpretations of range, what does that leave you? What other things could possibly remain range-wise? That is the thinking that will solve this riddle.

Keep trying though. Like I said, you are gonna get this.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #27
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
In a way you have answered your own question. Two strikes on those interpretations of range, what does that leave you? What other things could possibly remain range-wise? That is the thinking that will solve this riddle.

Keep trying though. Like I said, you are gonna get this.
I hope so...

Still working on it!
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #28
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Could it be the Entwives? Tending gardens and caring for the land? Well, it's a guess anyway... Nice riddle, EllethValatari!
Good guess, but no! You're thinking in the right region of ME though...
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #29
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Good guess, but no! You're thinking in the right region of ME though...
Of course! The solution is Entdrought! (or even old Fangorn himself).

A most excellent riddle! **applause**
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #30
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I'm at the end of my range, the last horn blowing.
*musters up another guess

Okay, is it Theoden? The "last horns blowing" could refer to Theoden hearing his last horns, or something like that...as for "at the end of his range," Theoden was killed at the Fords of Isen, which at the border of Rohan, therefore, at the end of his territory or range of power.

*crosses fingers*
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #31
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Of course! The solution is Entdrought! (or even old Fangorn himself).

A most excellent riddle! **applause**
Correct! Good guessing!

*sits waiting for 62 seconds to be able to post again...darn limit
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #32
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:

Okay, is it Theoden? The "last horns blowing" could refer to Theoden hearing his last horns, or something like that...as for "at the end of his range," Theoden was killed at the Fords of Isen, which at the border of Rohan, therefore, at the end of his territory or range of power.

*crosses fingers*
Nope. I'm loving your guesses, though. **more applause** Perhaps this little ditty will help you.

That is creative thinking,
but it's not even near.

Except that the solution
To Theoden would be clear.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #33
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Quote:
The horn of Helm Hammerhand at Helm's Deep?

They had reached the maximum range of their retreat and/or the Hornburg is located at the end of the White Mountain Range...
Old 05-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #34
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Or perhaps it isn't a horn but refers to the Hornburg itself - for the same reasons I mentioned above.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 AM   #35
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:

*crosses fingers*
Wait wait wait. Am I reading right? Before, you called the gates of Moria the "Black Gate", though the "Black Gate" refers to the entrance to Mordor. And Theodred died at the Fords, not Theoden. Right?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #36
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post

They had reached the maximum range of their retreat and/or the Hornburg is located at the end of the White Mountain Range...
While this is also incorrect, in some ways this is the closest guess yet. And even though NEL is right about who died at the Fords, Theodred too, would be able to easily answer my riddle.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #37
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Here's a little quick one:

This riddle makes me think of tons of things that have to do with Battles, and also:

Tom Bombadil, bidding the hobbits goodbye. He says, "Tom's land ends here; he will not pass his borders." That's certainly the end of his range, and of course his loud singing away could be likened to a horn blowing. That's my guess.

Until I can think of a better answer, this one will stand, but by heavens, I doubt Theoden or Theodred would know this.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 05-05-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #38
Midge
Faithful Gardener

KEITH K's Riddle Information. All guesses are incorrect, and there are some hints included below. I find it easier if I don't have to scroll up and down the page looking for things that have already been guessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Boromir's last winding of his horn? (on the borders of Gondor)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
I'm not so sure on this one. It sounds like Ulmo with Tuor. The end of his (Ulmo's) range being the sea shore. Ulmo did blow the horn though, didn't he? He certainly “sounded” it.
Quote:
"range" can refer to arrows...perhaps? I don't know the answer to the riddle, though
Quote:
Yes, range can indeed refer to arrows. The "horn" thing sorta becomes problematic, however.
I will say that it has nothing to do with arrows of any kind.
Quote:
Another thought...could it be Aragorn? "range" made me think of a "Ranger," which he was, and when he took his place as King of Gondor he was "at the end of his range." The "last horn blowing" could then refer to the last battle horn, because when he was crowned king the battle against Sauron was over...
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps this little ditty will help you.

That is creative thinking,
but it's not even near.

Except that the solution
To Theoden would be clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post

Quote:
While this is also incorrect, in some ways this is the closest guess yet. And even though NEL is right about who died at the Fords, Theodred too, would be able to easily answer my riddle.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 05-05-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #39
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Thanks Midge. A good proactive and helpful step.

My 2nd guess that it was the Hornburg itself was omitted from your list. But, I don't think it adds much value anyways.

I will make a 3rd guess...
The Horn of the Mark carried by Merry Brandybuck.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #40
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I am quite confident that I know the answer now, due mostly to standing on the shoulders of giants (my fellow riddlers)!

Mt. Mindolluin upon which sits Minas Tirith. It is at the end of the White Mountain range which in Elvish is called Ered Nimrais which translates as Whitehorn Mountains.

Great riddle Keith!
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote