Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #21
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Ah, right. It's just that when I read of bright little lights that pop up and then fade on the surface of Jupiter, my brain was immediately going 'impact'. Just me then.

I like the next post too. Space telescope, wheee! You each wrote a post, right? The writing style between the first and second post is rather different.
Yes. We are each writing our own posts. It's will, however be one cohesive story. Eventually we may go back over it and try to smooth the transitions out.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
Tuinor
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus
Yes. We are each writing our own posts. It's will, however be one cohesive story. Eventually we may go back over it and try to smooth the transitions out.
Yeah, we're gonna have to blend our styles together. It'll be okay, though.

Hey, Alpha (that's you, mine cephalopodic friend) NICE post. I like this guy, Andre. A bit of an eccentric type, but that makes him nifty to read about. His reaction to Jupiter's fall was over the top, but it fit his character perfectly. Well done! Perhaps later in this story Caitlyn will have a run in with this guy and be able to recognize him as a leading figure in her field? I think you may have had it in mind.

Looking forward to later posts from yas... meanwhile, I do believe it is my turn. I'll be thinking about it today, and perhaps tonight I'll be able to add a new addition to the story.

I'll have to work on my last post to make Caitlyn a better student of astronomy I'll probably post my edited version later tonight. Earniel, thanks for the pointers! They're much appreciated. I hope you enjoy reading the rest of our little yarn.
Tuinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #23
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

The early mention of Io in the story certainly caught my attention. I've got a thing for the four wonderfully diverse Galilean moons

So some yet-to-be-seen alien species just blew up Jupiter! That should spread some panic here on Earth I'd say. I'm looking forward to hearing how and why the aliens pulled it off.

Astrophysically, I was thinking about the immediate effects following the sudden disappearance of a large body such as Jupiter. I suppose the gauges on any scientific device built to discover and measure hypothetical gravitational waves, would have gone through the roof. But I wonder whether such acute ripples in space-time would have any other noticeable impact on the Earth's populace?

Anyway, a (very) long-term effect of no longer having Jupiter as your neighbour, is an increased risk of asteroid impacts. It is thought that Jupiter with its immense gravity "sweeps away" many of the celestial bodies that might otherwise have come to cross the earth's orbit.

Keep up the writing! I wonder whether we'll see more celestial catastrophes before this is over
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #24
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
So some yet-to-be-seen alien species just blew up Jupiter! That should spread some panic here on Earth I'd say.
I wonder, really. For the majority of the people Jupiter is just one more little light in the night sky. Makes me wonder, how long would space agencies be able to keep the disappearance of the system's largest planet under wraps, should they choose to?

But it would indeed be interesting to find out what the astronomical consequences for Earth are when Jupiter blinks out. Maybe someone should write a thesis on that.

Quote:
Keep up the writing! I wonder whether we'll see more celestial catastrophes before this is over
I dread to think what planets this system is going to have left at the end of this story.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #25
Jonathan

A piece of advice for the writers - I'd like to see a bit more space between the paragraphs. That would make the story more comfortable to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I wonder, really. For the majority of the people Jupiter is just one more little light in the night sky. Makes me wonder, how long would space agencies be able to keep the disappearance of the system's largest planet under wraps, should they choose to?
Oh, I'm sure the millions of amateur astronomers out there would notice that one of their favourite telescope objects was suddenly missing. If the space agencies wouldn't hit the alarm button (I see no reason why they wouldn't), the hobbyists still would. And wouldn't the following report on the evenings news about the mysterious demise of our solar system's biggest planet - shock and terrify the public?

I guess it would have been different if it was just the destruction of some moon or asteroid. Would anyone miss the dwarf planet Ceres if it was suddenly lost?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #26
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
A piece of advice for the writers - I'd like to see a bit more space between the paragraphs. That would make the story more comfortable to read.
Will do.

Thanks you guys, for the feedback. Hope you are enjoying the story so far. More to come tomorrow or the next day, so stay tuned!

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #27
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus View Post
Okay, peeps, the noodling has begun.

Epic noodling.

Noodling on a scale the world has never seen.

Soon, PASTA, will flow from your computer because of the massive NOODLING that is happening beneath the very skin of your Lquid Crystal Display (or Plasma).

And then the world will know...

That HERE....

There was.....

NOODLIN'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuinor View Post
LOL.

I brought the sauce.

mmm. 'scettii

HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL! Wow that was quite an opening hook, you two. What ever attacked Jupitor must have really shaken Andre.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #28
Tuinor
Elven Warrior

Okay, everyone, (that is, those who read this) certain complications have kept me from being able to post on this, but, hopefully, now that school is over for a few, I can finally begin to work on this more.

In other news, though, I am proud to announce that at 4:21 on December 22nd, my firstborn son, Kenton Alexander Clark, came into the world at 6 lbs 7 ounces and at 20 inches long! I'm so proud of him and my wife.

If being a dad doesn't kill me, then I will hopefully be able to resume work on "Fiddle and Drums".
Tuinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #29
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

CONGRATS ON THE BABY! *pops a bottle of champaine*

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera

Last edited by Acalewia : 12-23-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #30
Jonathan

Have a cigar Tuinor! Congratulations
Old 12-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #31
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Congratulations!

Does this mean you'll be renaming the story 'Fiddle and Diapers?'