Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #21
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*drop kicks*

I need a drink.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

*Tacklepounces random peoples*

He Y'all!

COWABUNGA was from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Glad to be back with my peeps.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 03-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #23
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
Why do you need him to allow you to do anything at all?

Is he the one teaching the summer program, or at least, is part of the selection procesess?
Short answer: Because .

Long answer: Well, voice teachers are one of those funny breeds of people where you just kind of have to figure out the quirks of the system and learn to play by their specific rules.

The thing is, whenever I sing (particularly at this stage, while I'm actively a voice student of his) I represent my teacher. For instance, he didn't let me sing for the other students in the studio for several weeks while we worked on one particular song... because he wasn't happy with how one high note was coming out. The other high note, which was actually a higher pitch, was fine, but he didn't like the way I sang one note (it's in a difficult area of my voice) so we spent a few weeks working on the piece till I learned how to balance that part of my voice. Then he was happy to have me sing for the other students.

So if he doesn't want me running off to a summer program for two weeks and representing his name, he can tell me that he doesn't want me to go.

I could still go... I mean they wont call him up and ask if I have permission to be there or anything. But if he finds out that I did it without his permission he can throw me out of his studio and refuse to teach me.

I don't THINK he'll really have a problem with it... I mean he said he really wants me to compete during the Spring at the national voice competition, and he's giving me a thumbs up on the recital, BUT I'm just worried he might decide to be fickle and say that he doesn't want me singing the arias because we haven't spent all semester polishing them up.

I know it sounds crazy, but it can literally take weeks or even months to get one piece of music sounding 'professional', particularly when you're still a young singer like myself and you don't have years of training and experience to call on.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #24
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

So.... Basically you are merely a mirror for your teacher's talents and they don't want you going to some event and potentially screwing up, so they wont get knocked for their teaching prowess?

Yikes. Glad I never got into it.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #25
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
So.... Basically you are merely a mirror for your teacher's talents and they don't want you going to some event and potentially screwing up, so they wont get knocked for their teaching prowess?
Well said. That's the basic idea.

But it's not much different than any college system. I mean, if you have failing grades the university wont pass you because they don't want their name attached to a loser .
Old 03-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #26
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

That's not true, I've seen tons of losers with fancy university names attached to them.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #27
Pip
Elven Warrior

*pours a cup of tea*
Hey guys how's it going?

Tessar, that seems like an odd thing. Where do you train? I've had lots of choir and voice techers over the years but I've never met one that acted like that. Sure they wanted to get something right before performing it, that makes sense. But never one that would not want someone to go do something else in the mean time. Granted I haven't done anything too professional, so that could be where we vary. Are you a voice or performance major?
America, what will we miss while we are sleeping/Will Jesus come again and leave us slumbering where we lay/America, will we go down in history/As the nation with no room for it's King/Will we be sleeping?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #28
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
*pours a cup of tea*
I've had lots of choir and voice teachers over the years but I've never met one that acted like that. Sure they wanted to get something right before performing it, that makes sense. But never one that would not want someone to go do something else in the mean time. Granted I haven't done anything too professional, so that could be where we vary. Are you a voice or performance major?

I had some voice lessons before college, and it's definitely a whole different ballgame. There's a lot of dumb ego wrapped up in the professional world, and a requirement to kiss up to people entirely too much, but... eh, the end result of getting to perform makes it worth it to me.

I'm actually getting an education degree right now, to teach choral music, but at my school the only real difference between getting a performance major and an education major is that you don't have to take as many language credits if you're education, but you have to take a lot more conducting.

But I'm hoping to get a Masters in performance. I want to teach choir, but not till after I've had some kind of career as a performer... if things work out for me. We'll see.

So you've had lessons? How much did you study? What fach? What do you sing? Tell me more.

Last edited by Tessar : 03-30-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #29
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I've been thinking since Friday how to try to approach my voice teacher... I could either say, "I need to record two arias so that I can send in a CD and application for the summer program," or I could say, "Can I apply to the summer program?"
Or you could try: "I'd really, really like to get into the summer programme. Can you help?"
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #30
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Tessar, you have to go to him, and you have to go now. 3 years ago, similar problem for student of mine re: summer dance intensive. I found one that was not conflict with other training, needed tape to audition for scholarship. Teacher said, No. I put together list of benefits and said, "This is during time student will get NO training. With audition tape, might get some money, without, money will be spent and take away from REGULAR training. Student needs variety of exposure, started late. Why NOT?" Teacher worked with student to prepare audition, wanted HIS student looking good, and sniffed when he felt the scholarship wasn't big enough." LOL

Those egos can work FOR you.

On side note, that particular program (not a really prestige one) created a contact/reference that has been really helpful, since.

Tell the teacher that the value of being with other students during the program is important to you, too. You love singing too much to take serious time off.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #31
Pip
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I had some voice lessons before college, and it's definitely a whole different ballgame. There's a lot of dumb ego wrapped up in the professional world, and a requirement to kiss up to people entirely too much, but... eh, the end result of getting to perform makes it worth it to me.
Ah, that makes sense, that seems to be how it is for lost of professional carees. I know mine (filmmaking) is dependent on who you know and how those connections can help you get into some place. So I can understand that.

Quote:
So you've had lessons? How much did you study? What fach? What do you sing? Tell me more.
I spent seven years in the Colorado Childrens Chorale when I was in elementary and middle school. I also sang alot throughout school (musicals, school choir, talent shows). I was in a singing and performing group called The Sunshine Generation for a majority of my life. I had a voice teacher for a little while when I had the money to afford it and my piano teacher often worked with me on vocal stuff before. Right now I'm in two worship teams and an ensemble group at school because that's all I can fit into my schedule right now, I'm trying to decide if I want to audition for the accapella group. It's more of a question of whether or not I can commit to the performances and rehersals. As for Fach, I've never heard it described like that but I often sing soprano. I like to sing most anything asuming I like the tune and the words, but I have been told that I have a good voice for ballads. Right now in the ensemble group I'm singing Song for the Mira and I'd really like to try and do Mo Ghile Mear, someday.
What about you?
America, what will we miss while we are sleeping/Will Jesus come again and leave us slumbering where we lay/America, will we go down in history/As the nation with no room for it's King/Will we be sleeping?

Last edited by Pip : 03-30-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #32
Mari
Elf Lady

My mum just dissed the drawings I made for class >_<

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #33
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

*sigh* How do you feel about that?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #34
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh, I'm fine with it I'm not a very good drawer.

Hi!
You okay?

Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #35
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I'm pretty good.

I have plants I'd like to put in today, but the soil is too wet.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 03-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #36
Mari
Elf Lady

Heh, we had a Spring day today. After a week of rain
So maybe it will be coming your way soon too!

I should be off to Confirmation class in 10 minutes, but I don't really feel up to it. School can be draining. We had to do lots of self-evaluating today, which is okay, but I don't like the sharing part, so I have to word my responses carefully. And then there's the emotional responses of others. Heavy, but necessary I suppose.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #37
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

It is yet to be proven that reponding to other peoples' emotions, even correctly, has any value, at all.

It's one of the unquestioned assumptions of nice people, but it's not science.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 03-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #38
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh, I meant your own response to your evaluation. We did some sort of game first in which you had to 'award' people with appropriate character traits and some people got traits they didn't want, or did want. After that you had to discuss why you did(n't) want it and why.
Lots of bully-stories, mental health stories, etc. came up.

And no, it's not science, but I do believe self-evaluation is good Though perhaps not this open in class...

Gotta run now, if you want to discuss, I'll be back later
*hugs Sis* (It's been a while )

Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #39
SilverKnight
Hobbit

stoms in and sits down
Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #40
SilverKnight
Hobbit

Hello Hello ow
the arrgon lot has disaperd
Closed Thread