Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #21
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

A trailer at the BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8022623.stm

another at The Register (an online IT Newspaper)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04...nt_for_gollum/
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #22
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I have to say, the trailer looks most impressive for the budget they had. (Although I don't remember the actual hunt involved that many characters and was that exciting. Interesting.) I'm curious to see what they've made of it. Looks like they went out of their way to get characters to look and sound like those from the New Line movies. Impressive.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #23
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I'm curious, too - I've just downloaded something that at 49.3 KB just isn't a working movie.
And everything else seems to be gone from the site ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 AM   #24
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Here is the film:

The Hunt for Gollum-High resolution

The Hunt - Low res

Last edited by Gordis : 05-04-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #25
Tinman
Enting

It wasn't bad. I really wish the director would have had his own vision though, instead of peter jacksons. Not that I didnt enjoy peter jacksons take on the world... but it was just that, Peter Jacksons'. I think part of film is having your own ideas. I would like to see more original work... not more knock offs.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #26
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

For some reason I couldn't take the fighting seriously. It didn't help that I could only see it in one small window on the screen, and that I couldn't get enough light on it - but there was something about "he's alone against the enemy - I suppose he's meant to do it all alone, then - yes, he's taking the enemy out all alone. Yawn." Too predictable?

I guess I would also have preferred something that didn't try to look - and sound - like Peter Jackson had made it. They even used parts of Howard Shores themes in their original music.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen

Last edited by Varnafindë : 05-06-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #27
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

The fighting seemed to be in slow motion to me, even when it was supposed to be at full speed.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:53 AM   #28
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
"he's alone against the enemy - I suppose he's meant to do it all alone, then - yes, he's taking the enemy out all alone. Yawn."
Yes, exactly. How trite...

And note the orcs are running towards Aragorn in a pack, then stop, assemble, growl - but attack him one at a time, like noble knights they are....

And it seems that's exactly what Aragorn expects them to do, as he doesn't even try to protect his back, putting a tree-trunk behind him.

Anyway they are the same problems that PJ constantly had. Unrealistic fights with loud music.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #29
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
For some reason I couldn't take the fighting seriously. It didn't help that I could only see it in one small window on the screen, and that I couldn't get enough light on it - but there was something about "he's alone against the enemy - I suppose he's meant to do it all alone, then - yes, he's taking the enemy out all alone. Yawn." Too predictable?

I guess I would also have preferred something that didn't try to look - and sound - like Peter Jackson had made it. They even used parts of Howard Shores themes in their original music.
True it did seem very similar to PJ in feel. The actors even resembled their movie counterparts.

I think it was a decent effort though. (especially for under $5000)

The time frame of events was difficult for me to judge. The scene at the 13:00 mark (Where he silently removes one of 2 orcs was incredible to me.) was an amazing act that I find difficult to accomplish.

The orc fight was unrealistic. With the orc superiority of numbers, they should have been able to overwhem the ranger. (but it would not be fun ifthe hero lost )

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #30
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

A good ranger is not the one who can single-handedly win a fight against 30 uruks. A good ranger is the one who can avoid the situation when he would be forced to do it.
How silly you must be to let 30 orcs surround you on open ground in plain daylight?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:58 AM   #31
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
A good ranger is not the one who can single-handedly win a fight against 30 uruks. A good ranger is the one who can avoid the situation when he would be forced to do it.
How silly you must be to let 30 orcs surround you on open ground in plain daylight?
Of course this is assuming that there he would be able to find a better place to face the orcs by nightfall. Again assuming that he is unable to avoid the orcs in the first place.

I think it would have been funny if he tied gollum up in a tree.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #32
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I like it, and ... considering the price ... I choose to leave it at that. Peace and goodwill.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #33
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Hurin killed so many orcs single-handedly that his movement was hampered and he was then captured by balrogs, who apparently had been sitting back watching the carnage and LOLing.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I suppose that the number of orcs slain by a Great Hero (like Hurin) constantly grows in the telling. And as it was a fairly ancient tale...
Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #35
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I've just watched the film, and really it's pretty good. It isn't "for the fans" of the books, though. Blatant imitation of PJ's vision: from the soft-voiced Aragorn to the typeface used in the credits. Nevertheless, it was a very very GOOD imitation of PJ's vision. There were a few conspicuous things they could have toned down: 1) what's with all the pipes, all the time? 2) Arwen? 3) the sack Aragorn carries Gollum in changes size, and furthermore Aragorn seems to think it's no heavier than a sack full of freshly-picked pipeweed.

For me the biggest weakness was the Aragorn/Arwen scene, which was basically a recreation of what we've seen in RotK. It just didn't need to be in there, except variety. And if you ask me, the film was doing fine without it.

But, all round a nice, lovely, and mostly well-done film. I enjoyed it, and I appreciate the labor of love that went into making it...even if it was love of the movies, not the books

PS: If you haven't seen a good version of the film due to the screen and sound quality, let me just point you to YouTube, which now has the definitive version of it there posted. Just type in "the hunt for gollum," and you'll find the desired result

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 06-26-2009 at 11:06 AM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote