Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2008, 05:10 AM   #21
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

You two, get a room already!

I agree that gangs are very damaging, and that the harm they do is mostly to the very poor and the already criminal. That's not a reason to sweep it under the carpet.

The feeling I get is that as long as they don't interfere with nice middle class people too much, they will be tolerated. They may even be seen as an important law-enforcement agency: having one powerful gang ruling the underclass is far better than a miscellany of petty gangs all killing each other and extracting protection from the same (poor) people.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #22
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

It seems that the Yakuza (which Mari already mentioned) operates this way. There is not a lot of violent crime. IIRC, the Yakuza mainly engage in white-collar crime.

I'm not saying that an organization that punishes mistakes by having you cut off your own finger is a positive force, but they might have something to with the low crime rate.

I think, though, that the low crime rate is because in Japan (as my friend who lived there for a while said), "Everyone has enough." There are hardly any homeless people, some of the most vulnerable of society. This might be one factor.

<edit>
Another thing about the Yakuza is that they're all tattooed. Therefore, having a tattoo is very frowned upon in Japanese society, to the point where you might not be allowed in some bath houses if you have one. (I think they'd cut a tattooed foreigner some slack though.)
</edit>

Correct me if I'm wrong Mari.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 07-21-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #23
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong Mari.
Hehe, thank you. Just wanted to say there are a lot of homeless actually. Many of them are between 16 and 40 years old and live in internet-cafes or manga-cafes. However they are often registered as having a temp-job and mail-boxes can be rented. Therefore they don't show up in the official homeless rates.
It's quite sad.

Tattoos are indeed associated with the yakuza, though it is not true that all members of the yakuza have a tattoo, or miss a finger.

Plus, I should have made a distinction between yakuza and 'bouryouku gangs', the latter typically resorting to violence and also being politically active. Sometimes as enforcers, sometimes for their own ideas.
Very very simply put, the 'b gangs' kill you, but the yakuza make you want to kill yourself just to get out of your (financial) misery.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #24
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Hehe, thank you. Just wanted to say there are a lot of homeless actually. Many of them are between 16 and 40 years old and live in internet-cafes or manga-cafes. However they are often registered as having a temp-job and mail-boxes can be rented. Therefore they don't show up in the official homeless rates.
It's quite sad.
That is sad. I guess that's why I didn't know about it. I guess not everyone in Japan has enough then.

Are there any government programs to help the uncounted homeless people? How does one live at an internet or manga-cafe anyway? (At least there's a roof over their head..?)

Quote:
Tattoos are indeed associated with the yakuza, though it is not true that all members of the yakuza have a tattoo, or miss a finger.
I didn't mean to imply that each member would have those features. But if Takeshi Kitano's movie "Brother" is any indication, some of them might be missing a finger.

Quote:
Plus, I should have made a distinction between yakuza and 'bouryouku gangs', the latter typically resorting to violence and also being politically active. Sometimes as enforcers, sometimes for their own ideas.
Very very simply put, the 'b gangs' kill you, but the yakuza make you want to kill yourself just to get out of your (financial) misery.
They probably have driven people to suicide too.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #25
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Similar to Citibank in that, then.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #26
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Are there any government programs to help the uncounted homeless people? How does one live at an internet or manga-cafe anyway? (At least there's a roof over their head..?)
No government programmes really that I know of, but I should ask my friend who is doing her thesis on it. Technically these people have a job. They are registered with a number at an agency and get an email on their phones when there is a job for them. They get paid by the hour (around 700 to 1000 yen) and have to use that money for food, renting a locker (400 yen per day), etc. and in the aforementioned cafes you can pay to stay all night. Those places have showers and everything which you can use for free and you have your own booth. It's approximately 1000 yen per night. Though manga cafes are cheaper since they might not have all sorts of facilities.
A lot of youths who got kicked out of school or from home live like this.

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that each member would have those features. But if Takeshi Kitano's movie "Brother" is any indication, some of them might be missing a finger.
I know, I was just saying.

Quote:
Yups. >_<

Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 AM   #27
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Blimey, what an existence.

It's important to distinguish between official crime rates and people's experience of it though. Usually the latter is very different from the former.

Though there is a distinct lack of rational thought about crime generally. Despite all the evidence that crime is falling, the papers are fully of scare stories.

Our gangs are mostly petty and disorganised. They don't usually have guns and tend to keep to their own little turf, preying on the most vulnerable.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #28
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Despite all the evidence that crime is falling, the papers are fully of scare stories.
That is very much true. I had some very interesting classes on the 'demonization' of youths after 2 or 3 violent cases. All of a sudden the Japanese newspapers were making a fuss out of it, blaming the police and the schools, causing a nation-wide review of things and causing the penalties to get more severe.
But actually, the rate of solving crimes in Japan is really high. The rate of solvings of murdercases is almost 100%