Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #21
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

I hope Jinx continues to approve of eating and gets well soon. My cat who's 10 years old now was once the largest cat I'd ever had, but I saw a cat that was 11kg the other day. That one's ferocious too, it's a match for a dog three times its weight.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #22
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I wish operas on dvd weren't so expensive!!!! There are about ten or twenty of those suckers I'd like to have, but I don't want to spend $50-$70 on each one
Wow, 50-70 dollars!? That's mad. Which ones do you want?
Old 05-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
I wish operas on dvd weren't so expensive!!!! There are about ten or twenty of those suckers I'd like to have, but I don't want to spend $50-$70 on each one
Are you checking ebay? You can usually find them for significantly less there. I saw Porgy and Bess for 1 dollar! I got Manon (with Natalie Dessay, no less!) for 10 dollars there. DEFINITELY worth checking out, if you want operas on DVD. Giulio Cesare is a bit expensive there now (30 dollars), but oh well; still significantly less than the retail price.

EDIT: But yeah, which ones do you want?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #24
Mari
Elf Lady

I have a philosophical/moral/emotional/life question, but I don't know who to ask it. I asked my mother, but her answer couldn't help me.

*sigh* Why am I always bothered with these sort of questions? There is no explaining them or even 1 clear answer, just someone's own feelings and opinion on the matter and then I'll have to use that info to decide on my next move. I wish it was all more concrete. Or that I could just stop needing answers to these silly questions. *sigh*

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #25
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Netflix

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 05-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #26
Gwaimir Windgem

I think Tess is talking about owning, not just watching.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-28-2008, 02:23 AM   #27
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Okay, totally random I know, and this is something I don't really say to people in person usually because I don't want to offend.

BUT WHY THE CRAP WOULD YOU BE A MUSIC MINISTER FOR THAT CRAP?!!?!?!?

Oh my GOD, WHY!?!?!? Why do you work with that crappy music? I'm sorry, but Glory and Praise music is 95% complete crap. Sure some of it is great for gathering around the ol' piano and belting out a tune or two with a group, but WHY would you use that in church?

There is so much OTHER good music that you're not even freaking looking at. It doesn't even have to be classical, there's even so-called 'New Age' music that has more complexity and beauty than the majority of G&P music.

It just makes me so angry... you have the ability to bring people so much good music. Do you think you're really "engaging" them with this crap? Take a look up, how many of them look bored out of their minds? How about all of them.

And as a side note, there is no need to nail every high note or new word after you've just taken a breath by making it a little louder and sliding up to the pitch. We get it, you're totally hip and with it vocally. Now friggin' stop that.

BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IN YOUR CHOIR/CHURCH IS IMITATING YOU. And when that many people try to be the next pop singer, it doesn't work. AT ALL. It's actually rather aurally irritating.

That's all. >.<

Last edited by Tessar : 05-28-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #28
Mari
Elf Lady

*cries* Someone PLEASE make that person practicing on his bagpipes STOP~!
It hurts~! *cries some more and runs away screaming*

Old 05-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #29
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Okay, totally random I know, and this is something I don't really say to people in person usually because I don't want to offend.

BUT WHY THE CRAP WOULD YOU BE A MUSIC MINISTER FOR THAT CRAP?!!?!?!?

Oh my GOD, WHY!?!?!? Why do you work with that crappy music? I'm sorry, but Glory and Praise music is 95% complete crap. Sure some of it is great for gathering around the ol' piano and belting out a tune or two with a group, but WHY would you use that in church?

There is so much OTHER good music that you're not even freaking looking at. It doesn't even have to be classical, there's even so-called 'New Age' music that has more complexity and beauty than the majority of G&P music.

It just makes me so angry... you have the ability to bring people so much good music. Do you think you're really "engaging" them with this crap? Take a look up, how many of them look bored out of their minds? How about all of them.

And as a side note, there is no need to nail every high note or new word after you've just taken a breath by making it a little louder and sliding up to the pitch. We get it, you're totally hip and with it vocally. Now friggin' stop that.

BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IN YOUR CHOIR/CHURCH IS IMITATING YOU. And when that many people try to be the next pop singer, it doesn't work. AT ALL. It's actually rather aurally irritating.

That's all. >.<
Here's a brother in suffering, Tessar.
http://www.vci.net/~inmanmj/openmike/musicon.htm

The politically correct hymns at the UU church are dreadful, too.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 05-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #30
Mari
Elf Lady

Just called the police. Some people destroyed a shopwindow and were messing around with bikes parked under my window. *sigh* This is going to give me a headache and a lot of paperwork. I just know it.
*3 more days till moving out, only 3 more days*

Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #31
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I'm sorry, Mari.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #32
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I just don't get it... I would go to such great lengths for certain friends, and yet I don't get the impression that they would for me. Something stands between my friends and I, particularly one, and I'm not sure what it is or why.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #33
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane View Post
I just don't get it... I would go to such great lengths for certain friends, and yet I don't get the impression that they would for me. Something stands between my friends and I, particularly one, and I'm not sure what it is or why.
Maybe that they're self-centered jerks?

Just guessing. But so many people are...

And adding, my vent is people who ask for help but don't want it. Nobody here, btw. But in my quote real unquote life people constantly ask me for help...by which they usually mean, "Tell me my immense suffering is impressive and not at all my fault." :rolleyes Annoys me.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Last edited by sisterandcousinandaunt : 05-29-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #34
Mari
Elf Lady

Hehe, I can imagine Sis. I hope they are at least willing to return the help should you need it from them!

And again I vent on the WHY? of sites for refugees. I'm still looking into being acknowledged as a refugee in the Netherlands for an acquaintance who wants to flee his country of origin, but though those sites are designed to offer assistance and information to people like him, they are ALL IN DUTCH! Without exception so far! >_<
If you don't want to help refugees, then just say so and don't pretend!

Another vent: Where did my mosquito bite paste go? I know I have it here, I saw it just a few days ago and it itches!!! >_<

Old 05-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #35
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I find it amusing that the "Similar Threads" portion at the bottom finds a "Temporary" Venting Thread incarnation and a Religious Knowledge thread "similar."
Old 05-31-2008, 10:01 PM   #36
Gwaimir Windgem

I got my report card yesterday, and what did I see staring at me but a big, fat "D-" under Math. Well, sh!t. I couldn't believe it. I feel like there must be a mistake. I was a bit worried about my final, but I find it very hard to believe that I completely bombed it. Even if I did, I had sufficiently decent classroom participation that I couldn't possibly deserve a D-. I made an occasional point which my tutor seemed to think was good, and I explained some problems pretty thoroughly. It just threw me into shock; I cannot believe I deserved a D-.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #37
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm sorry Gwai. That sucks.

I'm kind of sad because I've been really enjoying my vacation... sleeping in super late, staying up late, playing video games all day, practicing voice/piano whenever the fancy strikes...

But now it's back to reality. Summer classes start this upcoming Monday. I've been having a lot of fun with Dungeons and Dragons Online, but now I need to drop it cold turkey because I know if I try to keep playing even a little I'll get sucked in and give up school work time for it.

Still, maybe I shouldn't vent. I'm not real thrilled with myself for spending all day playing video games, relaxing as it's been. I mean... I've been practicing my music and it's not like I've turned into a slob or anything, but... I just feel a lot better about myself if I'm being mostly productive instead of mostly lazy .
Old 06-01-2008, 05:13 AM   #38
Mari
Elf Lady

Spending some mostly lazy time once in a while is good too. It'll help your nerves get back into the right place
Burn outs or depressions from stress or just stress overload in general isn't fun either.

Gwai, that really sucks. Can you go and discuss it with your teacher? Maybe there was a mistake after all.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #39
Amael
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Just called the police. Some people destroyed a shopwindow and were messing around with bikes parked under my window. *sigh* This is going to give me a headache and a lot of paperwork. I just know it.
*3 more days till moving out, only 3 more days*
I'm sorry to hear that. But you have 3 more days until you move, I hope you find a really good place. Ingwe and me moved to where we live now from a place he particularly didn't like. That's the glory of moving. You leave those old problems behind, and pick up a few new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane View Post
I went through elementary school, junior high, high school, and college with tthat same feeling. The whole time almost everyone seemed to have it as rough as me. The thing is, something that is rare to find in the world is someone who will value meaningful friendships. Most people are too self-centered and to be honest some just seem to waant to be attention hogs more than they want to be a friend, let alone act like it. I know where you're coming from, Troll's Bane. Cool name by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Maybe that they're self-centered jerks?

Just guessing. But so many people are...

And adding, my vent is people who ask for help but don't want it. Nobody here, btw. But in my quote real unquote life people constantly ask me for help...by which they usually mean, "Tell me my immense suffering is impressive and not at all my fault." :rolleyes Annoys me.
Great minds think alike. You're thinking along the same lines as what I think everytime I hear about the difference between friends (smiley face) and "friends" (quotation marks intentional). I think around the time I came hhere, I saw a quote in someone's signature and I think it was Mari's that said something like, "friends are those rare people who greet you by asking how you're doing and actually await your answer."

Quote:
Hehe, I can imagine Sis. I hope they are at least willing to return the help should you need it from them!

And again I vent on the WHY? of sites for refugees. I'm still looking into being acknowledged as a refugee in the Netherlands for an acquaintance who wants to flee his country of origin, but though those sites are designed to offer assistance and information to people like him, they are ALL IN DUTCH! Without exception so far! >_<
If you don't want to help refugees, then just say so and don't pretend!

Another vent: Where did my mosquito bite paste go? I know I have it here, I saw it just a few days ago and it itches!!! >_<
There's a lot of people out there who must wake up and say to themselves, "gee, let's act like we care about something so we can be a part of something so our lives aren't so miserable" but they don't really care too much.

Mosquito bites stink. The West Nile virus is still going around too. Avoid open stagnant water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
I got my report card yesterday, and what did I see staring at me but a big, fat "D-" under Math. Well, sh!t. I couldn't believe it. I feel like there must be a mistake. I was a bit worried about my final, but I find it very hard to believe that I completely bombed it. Even if I did, I had sufficiently decent classroom participation that I couldn't possibly deserve a D-. I made an occasional point which my tutor seemed to think was good, and I explained some problems pretty thoroughly. It just threw me into shock; I cannot believe I deserved a D-.
Oh wow, I am sorry to hear that. I'd be shocked too. Do you have to re-take the course?

Quote:
Spending some mostly lazy time once in a while is good too. It'll help your nerves get back into the right place
Burn outs or depressions from stress or just stress overload in general isn't fun either.

Gwai, that really sucks. Can you go and discuss it with your teacher? Maybe there was a mistake after all.
Sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes .... a lot.

I agree, relax for a while and don't burn out.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #40
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:

I'm planning on going and talking to him next week, and keeping my fingers tightly crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amael View Post
Oh wow, I am sorry to hear that. I'd be shocked too. Do you have to re-take the course?
No, it's not quite as bad as that. I think it might put me on academic probation next semester, though.

Another vent: I found out last night that a friend did actually fail out.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Closed Thread