Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #21
Nautipus
Kraken King

True, very true. They are fun little reads. Personally, I believe that if "Nessie" were real, it would probably be either a large eel or a big sturgeon-type animal. But I really dont have enough info to go anywhere with. You should read the book "The Loch". It's very good.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 AM   #22
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Nessie! *squees* I like the stories about Nessie very much although I'm sceptical about them at the same time. Still, the idea that a dinosaur-type animal is living in a misty and mysterious lake is, I don't know, endearing in a way. I've still got the start of a short story about it, lying around somewhere. I remember scribling a lenghty explanation, which I thought was very clever of myself, about why Nessie was never physically found and why sightings are diminishing.

I was saddened that that one iconic photograph of Nessie was confessed to be a hoax. So I suppose the only surprising thing that was truly recorded in Loch Ness was a depth record of the common toad, which in itself is not that bad an achievement either.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #23
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Nessie! *squees* I like the stories about Nessie very much although I'm sceptical about them at the same time. Still, the idea that a dinosaur-type animal is living in a misty and mysterious lake is, I don't know, endearing in a way.
Hehe, same here. And off course Nessie has been an inspiration to many writers. I love reading those stories especially when they make no sense whatsoever.
Quote:
So I suppose the only surprising thing that was truly recorded in Loch Ness was a depth record of the common toad, which in itself is not that bad an achievement either.
Never knew that. But I didn't expect anything less from you

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #24
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Nessie! *squees* I like the stories about Nessie very much although I'm sceptical about them at the same time. Still, the idea that a dinosaur-type animal is living in a misty and mysterious lake is, I don't know, endearing in a way. I've still got the start of a short story about it, lying around somewhere. I remember scribling a lenghty explanation, which I thought was very clever of myself, about why Nessie was never physically found and why sightings are diminishing.

I was saddened that that one iconic photograph of Nessie was confessed to be a hoax. So I suppose the only surprising thing that was truly recorded in Loch Ness was a depth record of the common toad, which in itself is not that bad an achievement either.

In our day, it is definately a romantic notion. A large, misty lake, bordered by villages and castles, and haunted by a monster. It really is quite nicew to think about.

Anyway, they supposedly found a carcass, and were going to retrieve it next year, but I havnt heard anything else about it. Also, they did find a new species of animal in Loch Ness, but they arent sure how to classify it. It looks like a yellowish colored cake at depth, and is apparently a colony of microscopic organisms that so far has only been found in Loch Ness. Wonder what else could be down there.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #25
Mari
Elf Lady

The wonders of Loch Ness!
Apparently there is another lake like Loch Ness, somewhere in Argentinia or something. The story and sightings are somewhat similar, but I forgot where exactly. It was not a Western country, I'm certain of that.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #26
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Apparently there is another lake like Loch Ness, somewhere in Argentinia or something. The story and sightings are somewhat similar, but I forgot where exactly. It was not a Western country, I'm certain of that.

I know that there's a Lake Champlain in America, but I really dont know a whole lot else about it.

Did you ever read that stuff about Giant Jellyfish?

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #27
Earniel

Quote:
Never knew that. But I didn't expect anything less from you
I have a reputation to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus
Anyway, they supposedly found a carcass, and were going to retrieve it next year, but I havnt heard anything else about it. Also, they did find a new species of animal in Loch Ness, but they arent sure how to classify it. It looks like a yellowish colored cake at depth, and is apparently a colony of microscopic organisms that so far has only been found in Loch Ness. Wonder what else could be down there.
Interesting, I hadn't heard of that yet. But of course Loch Ness is one of the deepest lochs and quite large. I seem to remember there even were species of fish native only to Loch Ness, so it wouldn't be surprising if it did still have some surprises in store for us. It is a bit of a pity that a giant relic aquatic dinosaur will not be one of them.

Quote:
There are many other mysterious watercreatures with cool stories. I had a look once at the Wikipedia page for lake monsters and the list is impressive.

But the only other monster that I can think of and that can come a little bit close to Nessie's notority is the Mokele Mbembe. A lake monster from the swampy jungle of Congo, said to resemble a sauropod more than Nessie's usual plesiosaur. It has a large number of sightings to its name and a large number of expeditions searching for it too.

I remember it mostly because a few years ago there was a little trivia news item of how Mokele had disturbed a football match in Congo by ambling over the football field, sending all footballers running and screaming. Despite it's difficult name (Let's be honest, Nessie is 10 times easier to say and remember than Mokele Mbembe) it appears to have quite a reputation. I remember at least one fiction book about it.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #28
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Interesting, I hadn't heard of that yet. But of course Loch Ness is one of the deepest lochs and quite large. I seem to remember there even were species of fish native only to Loch Ness, so it wouldn't be surprising if it did still have some surprises in store for us. It is a bit of a pity that a giant relic aquatic dinosaur will not be one of them.
Yeah, it is. They may yet find an animal down there, and not just a bunch of air-filled logs. But if it was air-breathing, it probably would be a lot better documented by now. Look at sea turtles, even if they didnt come to shore to lay their eggs, the small (relatively) reptiles are still spotted, even miled out to sea. So Nessie (if she exists) is probably not some reptile or dinosaur.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #29
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
There are many other mysterious watercreatures with cool stories. I had a look once at the Wikipedia page for lake monsters and the list is impressive.

But the only other monster that I can think of and that can come a little bit close to Nessie's notority is the Mokele Mbembe. A lake monster from the swampy jungle of Congo, said to resemble a sauropod more than Nessie's usual plesiosaur. It has a large number of sightings to its name and a large number of expeditions searching for it too.

I remember it mostly because a few years ago there was a little trivia news item of how Mokele had disturbed a football match in Congo by ambling over the football field, sending all footballers running and screaming. Despite it's difficult name (Let's be honest, Nessie is 10 times easier to say and remember than Mokele Mbembe) it appears to have quite a reputation. I remember at least one fiction book about it.
YES! That's it! No wonder I couldn't remember the name Apparenty it's a lot cheaper to go there for sightseeing and the chance of actually seeing the critter was also 4 or 5 times as big as Nessie at Loch Ness.

There was also this crazy theory of all underwater caves being connected and giant creatures going from one to another through the earth core... So it would have to be a creature that is resistent to water and fire... interesting combo.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #30
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Did you ever read that stuff about Giant Jellyfish?
No? Do tell!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #31
Earniel

Quote:
Yeah, it is. They may yet find an animal down there, and not just a bunch of air-filled logs. But if it was air-breathing, it probably would be a lot better documented by now. Look at sea turtles, even if they didnt come to shore to lay their eggs, the small (relatively) reptiles are still spotted, even miled out to sea. So Nessie (if she exists) is probably not some reptile or dinosaur.
Good point, I hadn't thought about that yet. Reptiles and amphibians are generally still reliant on land for some part of their life.

Quote:
YES! That's it! No wonder I couldn't remember the name Apparenty it's a lot cheaper to go there for sightseeing and the chance of actually seeing the critter was also 4 or 5 times as big as Nessie at Loch Ness.
I'm unsure whether it would be cheaper, though. Congo is not exactly a country you can stroll around in easily. For one, I doubt you'd need vaccin shots to go and see Loch Ness.

Quote:
There was also this crazy theory of all underwater caves being connected and giant creatures going from one to another through the earth core... So it would have to be a creature that is resistent to water and fire... interesting combo.
Sounds interesting, if somewhat unrealistic. The earth's crust should provide more than opportunities for caves and passageways. I'm not sure why they'd want to go through the earth's core, isn't that thought to be solid iron? They'd have to go through the mantle first as well. The critter than can pull that off must be nigh indestructable (and must have nothing else to do with his time than show up at random lakes across the world, at random intervals.)
Old 11-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #32
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
No? Do tell!

Well, there are huge jellyfish that are scientifically documented as being up to 450 pounds, and over 8 feet across. But there are also stories of killer jellyfish eating people and being over 100 feet long (the lion's mane jellyfish gets 8 feet across and has tentacles over 100 feet long, just so you know ) But the lion's mane lives in cold water, and these attack, which were witnessed by hundreds of people, took place on the coast of Australia in mid-summer.
Also, the Portugese Man-O-War has tentacles that can reach 60 feet in length, although they average only three feet, but would be unable to both kill and eat a human. They could kill one, but not eat one. (They are pretty damn painful though, voice of experience here )

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #33
Earniel

I think I've seen one of those huge jellyfish on photo somewhere on the web. It was bigger than the diver next to it. Looking scary. Must have been old.

I don't like the Portuguese Man-of-War, that's one of the creepiest jellyfish out there if you ask me. I've been always told that if you see them drifting, it is usually too late. *shivers* Did you ever had a run-in with one, Nautipus?

Did you hear about that freak jellyfish-surge at the Scottish (or Irish, I forget) coast just a week or so ago? Wiped out an entire fish farm. The sea was said to be dense with jellyfish. I'm sure there was an article on the BBC somewhere... Aha!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #34
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
I think I've seen one of those huge jellyfish on photo somewhere on the web. It was bigger than the diver next to it. Looking scary. Must have been old.
Yeah, it'd be cool If that were real, but it is a photoshoped picture. There are sites all over the web boasting that picture. If you google Giant Jellyfish on images I garuntee it comes up a good 10,000 times.

Quote:
I don't like the Portuguese Man-of-War, that's one of the creepiest jellyfish out there if you ask me. I've been always told that if you see them drifting, it is usually too late. *shivers* Did you ever had a run-in with one, Nautipus?
In truth ( I know it looks like I'm nitpicking, I'm not ) They are closer relatives of these than jellyfish, as they are hydrozoans rather than scyphozoans (like most jellyfish)
And yes, I've been stung, and yes it hurt. Felt like someone was hitting me with a giant, spiked hammer over my upper body. Great fun. I've been stung over 100 % of my body (and I mean 100%, up the shorts and everything) by jellyfish of varying species. I'm well aquainted with the little devils.

Quote:
Did you hear about that freak jellyfish-surge at the Scottish (or Irish, I forget) coast just a week or so ago? Wiped out an entire fish farm. The sea was said to be dense with jellyfish. I'm sure there was an article on the BBC somewhere... Aha!
Thanks for pointing that out, I hadnt heard about it. I'll have to do a little searching to find out more. Strange that that's the second invasion, though, usually jellyfish only bloom like that when their prey does, course they may have decided on the salmon as a new prey source.
Let's hope not.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #35
Mari
Elf Lady

*converts the aforementioned numbers to kilo and meter before trying to imagine how big it would be*
Wow... that's HUGE! Wouldn't want to run into that. I never liked jellyfish, allthough they are pretty, but this makes me like 'em even less.
Killer sharks, killer jellyfish... 't moet toch niet gekker worden! (Can it get any crazier than that?!)

Old 11-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #36
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:

Now that was a crazy story. They still haven't determined why, have they? At lleast not on Monday. That should be weird, you're just looking out and suddenly all you can see is an ocean of jellyfish... It was Ireland by the way.

Which brings me to another newsitem: Titanic 2... at least they didn't say it was unsinkable, this time they only said it was iceberg-proof. Yeah right.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #37
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Which brings me to another newsitem: Titanic 2... at least they didn't say it was unsinkable, this time they only said it was iceberg-proof. Yeah right.
Could you post a link, please?

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #38
Mari
Elf Lady

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...24/2099971.htm
In the Dutch news they also mentioned several times that the boat was supposed to be iceberg proof, but that's not in this article.
Anyway, I thought it was a bit laughable. You'd think they'd learn from the first time.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #39
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...24/2099971.htm
In the Dutch news they also mentioned several times that the boat was supposed to be iceberg proof, but that's not in this article.
Anyway, I thought it was a bit laughable. You'd think they'd learn from the first time.
quite. It is good that no one got hurt this time, but they need to do something, like model those ships after ice-breakers or something.

Visit this site. here

For anyone interested in cryptozoology, or simply people who like to talk out their ideas (like me) it is interesting to watch these shows. Although, I'm surprised it is the History channel.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #40
Earniel

Quote:
Yeah, it'd be cool If that were real, but it is a photoshoped picture. There are sites all over the web boasting that picture. If you google Giant Jellyfish on images I garuntee it comes up a good 10,000 times.
Yeah, I remember this faked photograph of a great white attacking a diver lowered from a helicopter. This was before I was quite aware of the abilities of Photoshop. I stared at it for a long time.

But actually I meant the huge jellyfish which you said had been documented, not the implausible giant ones. I found the article, here. The picture seemed genuine enough. Then again, I'm easily fooled in these things.

Quote:
And yes, I've been stung, and yes it hurt. Felt like someone was hitting me with a giant, spiked hammer over my upper body. Great fun. I've been stung over 100 % of my body (and I mean 100%, up the shorts and everything) by jellyfish of varying species. I'm well aquainted with the little devils.
Ouch. I admire your dedication to your field of interest. But just, ouch.