Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #21
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĂ*an
Save Gondolin! But boot out Turgon and put Fingon in his place.
heresy! turgon rules and we all know it
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #22
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Why is Fingon better than Turgon?
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #23
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Quote:
Why is Fingon better than Turgon?
*sighs and prods the now open can of worms into the middle of the debate*

You may want to stand back Gordis, this could get slimy.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #24
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

or violent, very violent (so long as no one mentions finrod or feanor we'll be ok)

on a serious note, though, gondolin produced far greater things (eg earendil for a start!) than nargothrond, dontcha think?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:57 PM   #25
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Of course, according to the Orodreth Theory of Parentage, Nargothrond could be said to have produced Gil-Galad.

So... Gil-Galad vs. Earendil this time?

I don't think we've had that debate yet.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 02-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #26
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

oh my, what have i started? *flees in terror*

although it could be argued that nargothrond produced celebrimbor, and thusly the rings, and so nargothrond can be blamed for sauron's rise to power...
Old 02-19-2006, 10:07 PM   #27
Maedhros
The Tall

From Here and There:
Quote:
Behold, the armed guardians of the gate pressed back the thronging folk that gathered about the wanderers, and one among them spake saying: 'This is a city of watch and ward, Gondolin on Amon Gwared, where all may be free who are of true heart, but none may be free to enter unknown. Tell me then your names.'But Voronwë named himself come hither by the will of Ulmo as guide to this son of Men; and Tuor said: 'I am Tuor son of Huor son of Galdor of the House of Hador of the sons of the Men of the North who live far hence, and I fare hither by the will of Ulmo of the Outer Oceans.'
Then all who listened grew silent, and his deep and rolling voice held them in amaze, for their own voices were fair as the plash of fountains. Then a saying arose among them: 'Lead him before the king.'
Then did the throng return within the gates and the wanderers with them, and Tuor saw they were of steel and of great height and strength. Now the streets of Gondolin were paved with stone and wide, kerbed with marble, and fair houses and courts amid gardens of bright flowers mounds of mallorns, birches, and evergreen trees were set about the ways, and many towers of great slenderness and beauty builded of white marble and carved most marvellously rose to the heaven. Squares there were lit with fountains and the home of birds that sang amid the branches of their aged trees, but of all these the greatest was that place where stood the King’s house, and the tower thereof on a pillared arcade was the loftiest in the city, and above it flew the banner of Fingolfin and the fountains that played before the doors shot twenty fathoms and seven in the air and fell in a singing rain of crystal: therein did the sun glitter splendidly by day, and the moon most magically shimmered by night. The birds that dwelt there were of the whiteness of snow and their voices sweeter than a lullaby of music.
On either side of the doors of the palace were the gilded images of two trees, one of gold and the other of silver, and they were in the likeness of the glorious Trees of Valinor that lit those places before Morgoth and Ungoliant withered them: and those trees the Gondolindrim named Glingal and Belthil.
And also: "Yngvi is a LOUSE!"
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 PM   #28
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

But if it also produced Gil-Galad then it was responsible for both his rise and fall. One must also consider that Finrod faced off against Sauron long before rings came into the picture.

Then again, since the line of Elros produced Ar-Pharazon and Isildur, and Elros was a son of Earnedil and thus a product of Gondolin one could argue that both cities were indirectly responsible for Sauron's rise to power.

(Mwaha! )

- The Crucible

Old 02-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #29
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

yes, but gondolin was way more beautiful (see maedhros's post above) mwahaha

and anyway, wlros was also elwing's son, so menegroth was the cause of numenor's fall, and sauron re-arising mwahahahaha
Old 02-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #30
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Ah but we never really get a full description of Nargothrond, Finrod wasn't known for having shabby taste in interior decorating, for all we know it could have been gorgeous.

Though admittedly, Gondolin is hard to beat.

Course, Menegroth was supposed to be pretty shiny lookwise as well.

Really, if we go by looks or blame we could argue in circles for all eternity, which is something best left to the immortal residents of the cities in question.

- The Crucible

Old 02-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #31
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

like myself, for i am turgon
Old 02-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #32
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

And I'm Glorfindel's ward.

- The Crucible

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 09-13-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #33
The last sane person
The Black NĂşmenĂłrean

Last edited by The last sane person : 02-24-2010 at 03:11 AM.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:55 PM   #34
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

- The Crucible

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 09-13-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #35
The last sane person
The Black NĂşmenĂłrean

Yeah, I would guess. Hopefully you wont be rained on. Anyways, I vote Nargothrond. I never liked Gondolin. Haven for traitors and the like. Yuck.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:19 AM   #36
katya
Elven Maiden

My first thought was Nargothrond, actually. I was kinda surprised when everyone was going with Gondolin. It was probably because of some sort of bias towards Finrod though.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:50 AM   #37
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Course, Menegroth was supposed to be pretty shiny lookwise as well.
Indeed, read it here:

Quote:
[...]Beyond the gates wide passages ran down to high halls and chambers far below that were hewn in the living stone, so many and so great that that dwelling was named Menegroth, the Thousand Caves. But the Elves also had part in that labour, and Elves and Dwarves together, each with their own skill, there wrought out of visions of Melian, images of the wonder and beauty of valinor beyond the Sea. The pillars of Menegroth were hewn in the likeness of the beeches of Oromë, stock, bought, and leaf, and they were lit with lanterns of gold. The nightingales sang there as in the gardens of Lórien; and there were fountains of silver, and basins of marble, and floors of many-coloured stones. Carven figures of beasts and birds there ran upon the walls, or climbed upon the pillars, or peered among the branches entwined with many flowers. And as the years passed Melian and her maidens filled the halls with woven hangings wherein could be read the deeds of the Valar, and many things that had befallen in Arda since its beginning, and shadows of things that were yet to be. That was the fairest dwelling of any king that has ever been east of the Sea.
Hard to beat, isn't it? Particulary the part of "Fairest dwelling of any king that has ever been east of the Sea."
Old 02-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #38
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

True, but Tolkien liked the word 'fair' a whole lot, he describes nearly everything having to do with elves as 'fair', 'more fair' or 'fairest' at least once.

- The Crucible

Old 02-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #39
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Awww, couldn't you at least have left me the illusion?

But you're right. It's just like how Tolkien gave characteristics like 'most valiant', 'most noble', 'best', 'greatest' etc... to several different warriors.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #40
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

In spite of the beauty of all of them, a kingdom is only as good as the king who rules it. While Finrod lived, Nargothrond was instrumental in holding back the enemy. The Guarded Plain protected a large area, and Minas Tirith guarded the Fen of Serech. With the aid of Finrod and permission of Thingol to dwell in his lands, the Haladin defended the Crossings of Teiglin. Nargothrond under Finrod's rule, maintained a policy of secrecy. Not until Orodreth did the people of Nargothrond fight more openly by building the bridge across the Narog where armies issued forth for a few years. The failure to destroy the bridge in time and foolishly meeting the enemy in open battle at Tumhalad caused the destruction and downfall of this kingdom.

Many believe that Turgon's policy of secrecy was so great, that he isolated himself and his people from the rest of the kingdoms, creating his inability to be of any defensive aid. Not until the Nirneath, did Gondolin come out of hiding. The problem with Turgon is that he became prideful of Gondolin and uncaring of the outside world, failing to heed the messangers of Ulmo, resulting in it's downfall.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote