Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-05-2005, 03:37 AM   #21
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by windlord
Hi everyone. I'm new to these boards posting but have watched your interplay for a while.Nice boards you have here.
I would like to question lefty on the statement that the Valar were given authority to judge and make whole among the mixed Elven/Human,but were expressly forbidden to deprive an (all) human the gift to Man.
I am a bit lost here. Can you explain this a bit better lefty. Possible references.
I am not Lefty but since I agree with him I'll try to come up with an answer.

In the cases of the Half-Elven, Eärendil and Elwing and their sons, Manwë was given authority to judge whether they should be reckoned among Elves or Men, and he let them choose for themselves. But to make an Elf share the fate of Men, or make a Man share the fate of the Elves, that is a much more severe alteration of Eru's gifts and beyond the authority of the Valar. In the case of Luthien, Eru was the only one who had the power to take such a decision, but it was Manwë among the Valar who listened to Eru's voice in his heart and spoke the doom.
Quote:
But Mandos had no power to withhold the spirits of Men that were dead within the confines of the world, after their time of waiting; nor could he change the fates of the Children of Ilúvatar. He went therefore to Manwë, Lord of the Valar, who governed the world under the hand of Ilúvatar; and Manwë sought counsel in his inmost thought, where the will of Ilúvatar was revealed.
IMO, the gift to Men was the greater, and I don't think Eru would take that away from Tuor.

Last edited by Artanis : 04-05-2005 at 03:39 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote