Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2004, 04:11 AM   #21
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

I dont think any character in the book wasnt tempted by the ring. That is its nature. IT tempts everyone. Aragorn was tempted Legolas was tmepted everyone was tempted. Thats why it is so powerful. No one is exempt.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:24 AM   #22
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
No ... I think she tempted only Boromir with the Ring, the others would rather get rid of the Ring than take it. Gimli, Legolas, Aragorn were all wise enough to know that the Ring would do no good for them. The Hobbits, even Frodo at that time, had too much respect and fear for the Ring to wish to wield it. Only Boromir was proud enough to believe himself capable of using the Ring to do good.

But if Gandalf had been there - HE would have been tempted with the Ring.
I quite agree, though I would say only Boromir was deluded enough to want the Ring.

Lefty, that was hilarious.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #23
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Are we sure that Galadriel actually explicitly tempted anyone with anything? Did she not just give them insight into themselves: into what they most wanted?

If she knew that Boromir wanted the Ring that badly, would she have let them wander off together without warning Aragorn or Frodo?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:40 PM   #24
Attalus

She warned Gandalf, later. I guess she didn't want to introduce distrust into the Fellowship. To my mind, Sam's remark, and Frodo's, indicate they were both tempted.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:06 PM   #25
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Also, after Frodo had offered Galadriel the Ring, she herself admitted that she had been testing his heart at his arrival, remarking that he had now got his revenge.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:09 PM   #26
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Are we sure that Galadriel actually explicitly tempted anyone with anything? Did she not just give them insight into themselves: into what they most wanted?
I think that she didnt do that exactlly, it was a combination of both tempting and insight. She showed, or allowed them to realise what they could have if they left the fellowship. She showed each and every one of them what they might have rather than this burden. To each this was different. Even if the ring was not part of the temptation someone like Bormir show visions of a destroyed Sauron and a victorious Gondor would think of the ring as that which caused the victory. Haradrim mentioned that everyone is tempted by the ring, this is true but its not what Galadriel was trying to do. She was finding who would be faithful. Sam was, frodo was till the end, even without the ring Aragorn, Gimli, an Legolas were as well I think.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #27
Haradrim

But wouldnt the real test of the fellowship be if they could all keep their hands off the ring. It seems to me that that would be the truest test the fellowhsip would have to overcome. So she showed them what they could do withthe ring. Aragorn knew he was tempted so he didnt waver, and Legolas was an elf so he was tempted but he too knew that.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:47 PM   #28
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Yet all were strong of heart (with the possible exception of Boromir) so knew that the Ring was perilous so turned all deeds evil so even if Aragorn or Boromir had tried to use it to save Gondor it would have ended up with as Frodo says to Faramir 'two Minas Morguls grinning at each other.'
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:45 PM   #29
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

I don't think that would be the strongest test because if it was everyon would fail it. Galadriel greatest of the Noldor in Middle Earth, Gandalf the White a Maia of the Valar, Faramir of the hous of Denethor II! Everyone has their breaking point. Boromir I don't think was weak persay. I think he just hit his limit with the ring. Had Aragorn went all the way to Mordor he may have tried to get the ring. Frodo became weak at the end of the journy and took the ring for himself. The ring is not a test because it is not changable, the ring is too powerful for all save the Valar and the enigmatic Tom Bombadil. The ring may have been a part of the temptation, or test,of the fellowship but I don't think it was the entire question. I think it is even shown that it is not the whole "question" in that Tolkien gave explaination as to what Samwise had "seen" in his head. To go home and have a nice garden of his own with Rosie as his wife with children running about... With no mention of the ring. The "question" to each member of the fellowship was simply a choice between a great desire and the quest of the ring.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen

Last edited by Halbarad of the Dunedain : 08-24-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:35 PM   #30
Attalus

Actually, I doubt the Ring figured in many of the "temptations" except Boromir and perhaps Aragorn. More tempting to the others would be release from the burden, especially for Frodo, or, as was guessed, power and beauty in Gimli's case.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:10 PM   #31
Haradrim

Well maybe that is not what tested them but everyone was still tempted by the ring. Just cause you knew the consequences doesnt mean you arre not tempted. I think maybe those tested in some way with the ring were Boromir, Legolas, Aragorn, and Frodo. Boromir and Aragorn to save Gondor, Legolas to save the elves, and Frodo to be rid of it.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:58 AM   #32
Telcontar_Dunedain

Boromir could have been tempted with the Rule of Gondor as well and even to give himself the title, King.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-25-2004, 03:54 AM   #33
Haradrim

yeah probably. I mean what more would he want. He wanted kingship. Im sure he always resented not being king of Gondor. Even if it was subliminal. Denethor probably felt this even more strongly.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:56 AM   #34
Telcontar_Dunedain

I've said this in the Denethor, Boromir & Faramir thread. That when Boromir asked how many years does it take to make a steward king, Denethor replies Maybe less in a place of less royalty but in Gondor a thousand years would not suffice.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:59 AM   #35
Haradrim

yeah I totally agree. I mean he always wanted to be king but he did not have the blod. He probably alwasy thought that was unfair. And he thought that the ring might give him his oppurtunity.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:29 AM   #36
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Also, after Frodo had offered Galadriel the Ring, she herself admitted that she had been testing his heart at his arrival, remarking that he had now got his revenge.
Note that she said tested, not tempted. Nowhere does she indicate that she knew exactly what each one of them most wanted. Also, IIRC, her words to Gandalf were that Boromir was in "great peril", not that he would be overcome by his temptation for the Ring. I would have thought some more direct intervention would have been in order had that been known in advance.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:43 AM   #37
Haradrim

Everyone was tmepted. No matter who you were or how much you knew of it. (except old tom bombadil and the valar) I mean Gandalf said he was tempted, Aragorn was tempted, Galadriel was tempted. I think tested and tempted go together in this instance. She was tested by the ring could eeasily be replaced with tempted and it would mean the same thing. No mattter who you were or what you knew of the ring it tempted you. That is why it was so powerful.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:49 AM   #38
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Note that she said tested, not tempted. Nowhere does she indicate that she knew exactly what each one of them most wanted.
I agree with Haradrim here, to my mind, tested implies tested by tempting. From what Gimli, Pippin, Sam and Boromir say when they talk about it, it seems clear to me that they have at least felt that they have been tempted with something they find desirable, and that they would get it if they only would give up the quest. I think she did read their minds and guessed what they desired most, this ability to pierce people's mind was one of her gifts.
Quote:
Also, IIRC, her words to Gandalf were that Boromir was in "great peril", not that he would be overcome by his temptation for the Ring. I would have thought some more direct intervention would have been in order had that been known in advance.
I think she meant that Boromir was in peril of being overtaken by his desire for the Ring. Imagine if he had managed to take the Ring from Frodo and tried to use it. It would have led him to a grievious end.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:14 AM   #39
Haradrim

Thanks Artanis.. Yeah I think she tempted them with whaat they wanted and for many of them what they wanted could eb a cheived by the ring so that is wha they saw.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:23 AM   #40
Attalus

Theoden

This is the actual passage:
Quote:
All of them, it seemed, had fared alike: each thought that he was offered a choice between a shadow full of fear that lay ahead and something that he greatly desired: clear before his mind it lay, and to get it he only had to turn aside from the road and leave the Quest and the war against Sauron to others.
If that is not temptation, I don't know what is.