Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-19-2004, 01:51 AM   #21
Olmer
Elf Lord

Elves. The teachers of Men.
Ethernal youth and immense experience, magnificent craftsmen and superior warriors with longing for exquisite things and capability readily to abandon it - all in one flagon.
The First God’s creation of intelligence.You can’t help not to admire theirs greatness in contributing to the development of the lesser race - the Men.
Another point of my great interest in the Elves is that the Children of God had been mentioned in the oldest book of human history -The Bible. So, according to the Bible, we are “many times removed” descendants of the Elves.
Haldir & Rumil
Here is picture of Haldir and Rumil by Maria Lombige Ezpeleta.
The way she depicting her elves is completely in tune how I see them:strong, tall and beautiful , they are mystifying and…intimidating. They are looking and behaving like man and yet not human.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:12 PM   #22
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Excuse me but if men are so lesser than elves than how come were still around. How come we saved Middle-Earth? How come we didn't run away from a fight with Sauron again. Huh! Huh! I think that humans and elves are equal cause were definately superior.
Haradrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:33 PM   #23
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Excuse me but if men are so lesser than elves than how come were still around. How come we saved Middle-Earth? How come we didn't run away from a fight with Sauron again. Huh! Huh! I think that humans and elves are equal cause were definately superior.
Let me point out :Haradrims DID NOT DO NOTHING to save the Middle-earth.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:21 AM   #24
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

I was a good Haradrim and in fact stabbed several of my colleauges in the back on our way to pellenor. I did may part and so did the Gondorians. What did the ELves do at pellenor or at the battle at the black gate.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #25
Fewin Greenleaf
Enting

but it is the race of men who is easily seduced, take for instance isildur and the 9 ringwraiths who were once men who craved for power.

Last edited by Fewin Greenleaf : 09-11-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Fewin Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:02 PM   #26
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Elladan and Elrohir were there doing their part for the elves there.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:22 PM   #27
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewin Greenleaf
but it is the race of men who is easily seduced, take for instance isildur and the 9 ringwraiths who were once men who craved for power.
The Elves made the Rings of Power. Seems like they were pretty easily seduced.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #28
Fewin Greenleaf
Enting

sorry but i have to disagree. elves might have made the three rings of power but their principal objective was not to rule middle earth. if elves were easily seduced, galadriel would have gotten hold of the ring when it was offered to him by frodo. celembrimor, too, could have stealed the ring from frodo if he really wanted the ring. the ring of power was already within the reach of the elves when frodo was in lothlorien. elrond, too, could have done it when the ring was in rivendell and so could have legolas, who was one of the eight companions of frodo. my point is....no elf made an attempt or even gave a thought of stealing the ring. if there was a race that showed any manifestation of greed, it was the race of men.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:45 AM   #29
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

the best race is maiar,
more specifically, balrogs

will comment more later
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:24 AM   #30
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
celembrimor, too, could have stealed the ring from frodo if he really wanted the ring.
Celebrimbor? Are you sure you have the rigth elf? Celebrimbor was killed before the Last ALliance.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:35 PM   #31
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Come on, what's with this silly elf-human debate? It's clearly all about the dwarves. So cool that their creator couldn't even wait until the Elves were around by divine plan to build them . And everyone pays them for their superior craftsmanship in metal and stone. They don't even have to grow their own food!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:20 PM   #32
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Gandalf

Quote:
sorry but i have to disagree. elves might have made the three rings of power but their principal objective was not to rule middle earth....
No, their objective was to hold back the effects of Time. They wanted to set aside Iluvatar's natural laws and make their own unnatural laws. That's a very evil thing to do, and Tolkien referred to the creation of the Rings of Power as a second fall for the Elves.

Quote:
...if elves were easily seduced, galadriel would have gotten hold of the ring when it was offered to him by frodo.
Galadriel had had a great deal of time to think about the consequences of taking the Ring by the time Frodo offered it to her. But she still felt the temptation it offered her.

As Tolkien himself was quick to point out, the Elves were not entirely good.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:30 PM   #33
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
..no elf made an attempt or even gave a thought of stealing the ring.
Oh,yeah? Let me point to you that all original evil Rings of Power was made by the Elves and they had no intention of giving them away.
Why do you think Sauron had to use an extensive force to get those rings?
In mine point of view Sauron did them a big favour taking the blame on himself, because with the aid of the rings which were giving a power over the time and superiority over all other races the Elves downfall would be more sinister and much faster.
Of course , after Sauron's "fair distribution" of the Rings they had to settle down with three left, but an idea of getting the One had never been far out
I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired the Ring. For many long years I had pondered what I might do, should the great ring come into my hands. If Galadriel, one of the Wisest, so much lusted after the Ring, I would say that other elves,if giving them such offer, wouldn't turn it down.

But all this does not make them less great. I think they were great because they DARED and MANAGED to change the setting of nature made by Eru himself.For me it is the most amazing, awesome, intriguing and scary race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
And everyone pays them for their superior craftsmanship in metal and stone. They don't even have to grow their own food!
By the way, what do you think the dwarves were doing at the beginning of their race?
I mean they was not born as superior craftsmen. And how come they ended up living under the ground?

Last edited by Olmer : 10-18-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:08 PM   #34
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I'm perfectly well aware that the dwarves had to grow food at the beginning of their existence, as well as the middle, and quite likely the end. However, Thorin very clearly says that they were paid by the men of Dale "especially in foodstuffs, which we never grew ourselves," so if you did it right, you could get away without growing food.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:09 PM   #35
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Well, can't say which race is the best, but my favorites are the ents. Probably because I'm a tree hugger from way back. Though not hasty, they can be fierce when roused. And isn't it terribly sad that they lost the entwives
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #36
Turambar1982
Hobbit

Dragons. Definatly. I have no real reason for that, except maybe that almost nothing is known about them.
Gruß Turambar.
Turambar1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:31 PM   #37
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Is it just me, or do certain people seem to want to turn the entire elven race into their own army of Mary Sues?

Contrary to popular belief, the Elves were never perfect, nor were they significantly better than humans. The were just different. In fact Tolkien said that the defining factor was the way Elvish and Mannish spirits adapt their bodies to prepare for their seperate fates. Likewise, the sins of the elves were different from the sins of men due to their natures, but not less.

I'm a fan of all races. I suppose I'll be contrary and declare Orcs my favorite.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 10-20-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:27 AM   #38
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
I suppose I'll be contrary and declare Orcs my favorite.
According to the "rule of the game" you supposed to explain why.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:06 PM   #39
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I told you why. To be contrary.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:32 PM   #40
Aewionen
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
Come on, what's with this silly elf-human debate? It's clearly all about the dwarves. So cool that their creator couldn't even wait until the Elves were around by divine plan to build them . And everyone pays them for their superior craftsmanship in metal and stone. They don't even have to grow their own food!
I couldn't agree more! And I though I was the only person here who understood the awexomeness of the spiffing race of Mahal, or Aule, if you like. ^^

EDIT: Confusticate and bebother my silly sister who doesn't log off! -ahem- This is Gulio, not Aewionen. ^^
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade

"I feel a slight tingling feeling... I think its affecting me." -Legolas during a drinking contest (EE ROTK)

Last edited by Aewionen : 10-21-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Aewionen is offline   Reply With Quote