Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-15-2004, 01:42 PM   #21
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK
Anyway, does anyone know...Is the room where the mirror of Erised was in book 1 the room of requirement?
I don't tihnk so. Apparently, even Dumbledore didn't know of this room - as we can figure from what he says in the 4th book. So how could he put the mirror there?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:04 PM   #22
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
I don't tihnk so. Apparently, even Dumbledore didn't know of this room - as we can figure from what he says in the 4th book. So how could he put the mirror there?
Well, he had the mirror and needed somewhere to put it where no one could find it. Hence the room provided. And Harry came across it because he needed a place to hide from Snape and Filch. So the room appeared.

And I dunno, I think DUmbledore knows more than he says.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:45 PM   #23
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK
Anyway, does anyone know...Is the room where the mirror of Erised was in book 1 the room of requirement?
Excellent point, I never thought of that... it would make perfect sense, because as well as wanting somewhere to hide, what Harry most wanted at that time was a knowledge of his family, and the Mirror gave it to him. And 'Erised' = Desire = Requirement? I think you might be right
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 07-15-2004 at 02:46 PM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:33 PM   #24
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I still don't think so... the corridors to the rooms are discribed differently. Besides... why would Dumbledore put the mirror in that room? Is it suppose to be secret? And I still think Dumbledore doesn't know about the Room of Requirement.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:42 AM   #25
azalea
Long lost mooter

I know this has been discussed here, but I couldn't find it:

I think I remember that there is no release date for Half Blood Prince, but is there a ballpark time -- like next year? I am on book four (I went ahead and read the end so I know what happens; I just couldn't wait to find out about the meaty stuff while reading through 400 pages of other stuff, so I read the first 80 or so pages, then skimmed through until the last couple of hundred pages. Now I can go back and read the rest! ), and I have OOTP on hold at the library, and now I'm getting anxious that I'll be caught up and then I'll have to WAIT!!
I want the answers now!

And have they started working on movie #4 yet?

I'm curious about whether the movies have affected JK's writing of the subsequent books. IOW, have the way things/ characters have been conceptualized or events played out (when changed from the book) given her ideas about how to write about those things, and where to take the storylines? I know she has in her mind a lot of what is going to happen, but I just wonder if there's been an influence at all, if she liked the way something came across and decided to take something in a slightly different direction because of it.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #26
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I doubt it would be soon. It would take some time before Rowling will publish the 6th. My assumption is, that the publishers want to make the readers curious, so that they will go and buy the books. I don't like this attitude; It's rather annoying.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:03 AM   #27
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

She's still writing it. I think the publishers will get it out asap after they get it from her, though.

She's said about the third movie, that Cuaron kept doing things that foreshadowed things in future books she hasn't even written yet, which freaked her out.

She's got such a good plan, though, I don't think the movies affect her too much.

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:02 AM   #28
Sono
Hobbit

I read many rumours on a german Harry Potter page.
Who are interested in it can visit http://www.news-harry-potter.de.vu
Harry Potter -> Gerüchte

There is many about Lupin and Luna Lovegood. But about other Characters too.
Perhaps anybody wants to read it

I must say, its very difficuld to understand the postings at this page! At school we never learn this words! And I must know. I'm the besst student in my english class...
But I try

Wenn Sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf. Genauer gesagt, auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik. Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst nicht weit von Irrwitz und Idiotie.
Sono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #29
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I've just started reading H.P. and find it a relaxing change from my normal likes. All in all it is interesting and intriguing. Just had to get my 2 cents in.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:44 PM   #30
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, Spock will have his nose buried in a book for the next month or two! I'm going to try to see Prisoner of Azkaban at an IMAX screen tomorrow. I was able to read the books before seeing the movies, thank goodness. I suppose it doesn't really matter, just as long as you read the books.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:26 PM   #31
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Prizoner of Al. read and finsihing up Goblet of Fire. Don't know if I'll continue the series though, a bunch of other books I've been waiting for have begun "calling me". Great to read inteat of watch crap on tv.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:23 AM   #32
Orli17
Elven Warrior

Hey....got another question.....for those who have seen POA and also have the British paperback versions of Hp 1 and OOTP.
You know the jail placard thingy that Sirius is holding in the picture of "Have you seen this wizard?" Well below it are written numbers and symbols....i noticed that the symbols look so much like the Tengwar runes (LOTR). And also if you look on th eback cover of Philosopher's stone, you can see thsoe runes again on Dumbldore's cloak! And some on the back cover of OOTP.
Anyone know what they are? Cuz they look so much like the Angerthas(Tengwar) runes so i was just wondering ........

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10 Things You'll Find in Legolas' Backpack - Elvensmiths & Co.

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
7. Enya’s "the Memory of Trees" CD
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
3. shampoo and conditioner
2. his picture
1. 101 Ways to Become the Prettiest Thing in Middle Earth

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Orli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 10:09 AM   #33
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

OK, Prisoner read and just finished Goblet of Fire. I'm H.P. out for now and anyway the library is too. Not bad to relax with these books. Now back to more serious readings.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:34 PM   #34
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I did notice the Tengwar-ish runes on the jailcard, but not on the covers. That's weird... I woud go right now to check it, but unfortunatly it's packed up in a box somewhere...

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:21 AM   #35
Orli17
Elven Warrior

yea...the symbols seem more tengwar-ish if you check the book covers.......

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10 Things You'll Find in Legolas' Backpack - Elvensmiths & Co.

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
7. Enya’s "the Memory of Trees" CD
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
3. shampoo and conditioner
2. his picture
1. 101 Ways to Become the Prettiest Thing in Middle Earth

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Orli17 is offline   Reply With Quote