Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2004, 12:30 AM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh, you know who has a sexy accent? ... Afro-elf. I wonder if he'd post a sound file up.... ::swoon:::
Old 03-24-2004, 12:53 AM   #22
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Oh, you know who has a sexy accent? ... Afro-elf. I wonder if he'd post a sound file up.... ::swoon:::
Afro-elf (((O.O))) ... oooooohh... *begins to sweat*.... ... *melts into a puddle*
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:55 AM   #23
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Er... thank you Ruinel. I trust that he will come with a decent pair of pants?

As for accents, well, it's a little hard for me to distinguish between the not-so-obvious ones, but I tend to like the more neutral ones - mid-western? I don't like the Nuu Yawk accent very much, and I'm not such a big fan of southern ones, although some are nice. The texan drawl is okay if it's not too exagerated.

My address:

BoP
The Cave
Bottom of the World
North of Antarctica.

Much appreciated.
Ah... ok... I'll start my search tomorrow morning... I'll club one.. errr... ask for volunteers as soon as I find one suitably sexy.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:06 AM   #24
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ruinel, just make sure he isn't too grubby when I get him.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
1) What about New Jersey!?
2) Is that him already, in her avatar?
Well, you know, I *DO* have a predilection for sticking men in my box.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:07 AM   #25
DaughterofKings
Sapling

My First Post

This is my first 'official' post. My only other post being introducing myself in the Welcome thread.

I wanted to come here to give my view on why people love America. I read the entire thread through, thankfully it was one recently begun, so I can feel comfortable posting here.

It does amaze me that there are many and lengthy posts against America, but when one is for America specifically asking anti America to stay out, they cannot.

People love America because it is still the land of opportunity. There is no other country on this earth today that people risk their lives to come to other than America. The American dream is still attainable, though many of us have our own idea of what that should be; even so, many people want to live here.

America also aids many needy nations and is not just concerned with herself. It is a land ripe with natural resources that, if managed right, could reduce our dependence on foreign energy.

Our Constitution is a document that still endures today, and though loosely interpreted at times, still in theory and oftentimes in reality, affords an American citizen equal rights with any other American citizen.

The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Pike's Peak, ahh, Southern California, the plains of Texas, the wheat fields of Kansas, the Great Lakes region, the snow-capped mountain peaks of the Catskills, Key West, Georgia peaches, the apple orchards, the cranberry bogs, my hometown Jersey, and the people of this great nation, from coast to coast, from sea to sea, a varied and ethnically diverse people who are America.

I think when I say America is the best, that is what I believe in my heart. I should love my country. (I think we all should love our countries.) If I did not, I should live where I would love to live. But fortunately for me you see, I love to live in America.

I do not close my eyes to her faults, but fortunately this thread is about the good of America. There is plenty more I could write, but I have limited time, and I wrote in the best thread here that is non-Tolkien.
DaughterofKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 05:08 AM   #26
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I don't really know what to post here, since I'm always saying how much I like America, and somehow people take it as an insult. I've always thought America was a great country, always wanted to go there (I'm not sure I'd be very welcome, but that's a different issue). So yes, America great - but please, other countries pretty good as well?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #27
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Sun-star, actually you would be very welcome. The US is very welcoming to people from other countries. That is one of the things that is great about the US.

And yes - other countries are good too. I just think that sometimes America and Americans would like to hear it once in a while - instead of the repeated bashing. This is a thread for those people who actually think that the US is a great country and to say why.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 05:23 PM   #28
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i like america because i can say whatever i like about our country and our government, positive or negative... even burn the flag if i want to... the essence of our culture is not to fear, but to embrace criticism, accept it, and thus better ourselves... some americans lose this perspective from time to time... but it always seems to come through when most needed

thomas jefferson said:

Quote:
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.
we also know how to have a good time
Old 03-24-2004, 05:27 PM   #29
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Ruinel, just make sure he isn't too grubby when I get him.
I have to wash my dog anyway... I'll just scrub them both down at the same time. I've got a nice smelling flea shampoo.

Quote:
Well, you know, I *DO* have a predilection for sticking men in my box.
roflmao!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:04 AM   #30
Sween
im quite stupid

Basketball and thats pretty much it
Old 03-26-2004, 08:53 AM   #31
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
Basketball and thats pretty much it
America-hater! And after all the nice things I said about you, Sween. Tisk tisk.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:24 PM   #32
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i like america because i can say whatever i like about our country and our government, positive or negative... even burn the flag if i want to...
Ah, but can you burn the flag? Americans tend to get very shocked and angry at 'desecrations' of the American flag. I remember when I was at a military parade once and the Union Jack was lowered to the ground before Prince Andrew, I think it was, and quite a few AMericans present were shocked at the flag touching the ground.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 12:47 PM   #33
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i like america because i can say whatever i like about our country and our government, positive or negative... even burn the flag if i want to... the essence of our culture is not to fear, but to embrace criticism, accept it, and thus better ourselves... some americans lose this perspective from time to time... but it always seems to come through when most needed
Reminds me of an old joke from a Reader's Digest:

Toward the end of WW2, a Russian soldier and an American soldier meet as their forces move inward on German forces. They begin a friendly conversation.

American: "In my country we have complete and total freedom!"

Russian: "Yes! In my country we have same thing!"

American (unsure of Russian's claim): "Oh - but in my country, we can say whatever we want to, wherever we are, whenever we like!"

Russian (quite sure of himself): "It is exactly same in my country... we can say everything we want!"

American (wanting to press the point): "Well in MY country, I could stand right in front of the White House and yell, 'Harry Truman is an SOB!' "

Russian (proudly): "Is same in MY country. I could stand in Red Square and yell, 'Harry Truman is an SOB!' "

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:48 PM   #34
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Where are these "America-bashing" threads I hear so much about???

There's lots of things that I like about America and Americans (or, at least, the ones I've met), though one that really stands out is that it seems to me to be a place where people are really positive. If you want to do something, people encourage you to have a go; if you succeed, people like it.

We could do with more of that attitude over here; Brits tend to give you reasons why something won't work or is crap.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:03 PM   #35
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
Ah, but can you burn the flag? Americans tend to get very shocked and angry at 'desecrations' of the American flag. I remember when I was at a military parade once and the Union Jack was lowered to the ground before Prince Andrew, I think it was, and quite a few AMericans present were shocked at the flag touching the ground.
It depends and yes - we don't like our flag to be descecrated. At the same time the majority of Americans, including me are against a Constitutional amendment to protect the flag from burning and so forth. I feel that burning the flag is a issue of free speech - even if I don't like it.

As for the flag dipping - maybe that had more to do with it dipping or bowing before Prince Andrew. Our flag doesn't get lowered for anyone - that is why it isn't lowered or bowed in the Olympic ceremonies as it passes the Olympic flag.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-26-2004 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:51 PM   #36
gdl96
the greg the admin

JD, the diversity is America is great. If you've ever been around where I live, you'd know how diverse it is. It's great to see so many races live together in peace, and people being treated equally, for the most part. Where else can I go down the street from my house and find dozens of great Indian restaurants waiting for me? However, I still get the feeling that a good number of Americans are quite xenophobic.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:02 PM   #37
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I can't understand how I forgot; I love the US because of the great music that is made there!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 06:57 PM   #38
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
JD, the diversity is America is great. If you've ever been around where I live, you'd know how diverse it is. It's great to see so many races live together in peace, and people being treated equally, for the most part. Where else can I go down the street from my house and find dozens of great Indian restaurants waiting for me? However, I still get the feeling that a good number of Americans are quite xenophobic.
It is very diverse and that is what I love - particularly New Jersey and the northeast. One of the reasons I WANTED to move back to NJ is because of the diversity. Indiana was too white and too the same. There are many ethnic restarurants in my area, italian, indian, chinese. I live 5 miles from Princeton. My mother grew up in Edison and Jersey City, my father grew up in Dunellen and Newark;I went to high school in Piscataway.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-26-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:16 PM   #39
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
It depends on the situation. Americans were mad at the demonstrations held by women suffragists before the 19th Amendment, even to the point of violence against the women.

Yes, we can burn the flag. It is not against the law. However, you might catch some flack for it from the public.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #40
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Yes, we can burn the flag. It is not against the law. However, you might catch some flack for it from the public.
That's what's great about America though too. They can burn the flag, but they also have to take the responsibilty and accept that people will find it offensive. That people will be outraged that they would be burning the symbol of the country that gives them that right.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide