Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who do you think loves Tolkien the best?
(withdrawn) 0 0%
Finrod Felagund 2 6.45%
hectorberlioz 10 32.26%
Jonathan 7 22.58%
(withdrawn) 0 0%
Sister Golden Hair 9 29.03%
None of them, Tessar is the best 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2004, 07:29 PM   #21
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Let me make this very clear.

Unless you are a Runner, or Tessar DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.

I'm sorry, but if you want another thread, start one. You have every right to, and if the mods won't let you then complain to them through PMs.

Please don't make this too serious people, and don't make things nasty. This is a flipping message board, this issue has nothing to do with ANYTHING important.

Last edited by Tessar : 03-02-2004 at 12:56 AM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 10:55 PM   #22
azalea
Long lost mooter

edited by me because it was rendered moot
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 06:07 AM   #23
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Well, I have deleted a lot of posts here.

As Tessar said above, please, if you're not a candidate, a member of Electoral College or Tessar himself, do not post here.

Little comments may be allowed, but that don't interferre in the debate taking position for a candidate or minning another's ideas.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:01 AM   #24
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

How do you feel that Tolkien's ‘Lord of the Rings’ has effected your life?
It truly has helped to shape who and what I am. I have often been dubbed "Frodo" due to my obcession, and am seen as odd by friends and family. I'd have to say, i think about LotR as much, if not more than I think about girls...scary no? I spend hours every day on Entmoot and other Tolkien Related sites, and my computer is full of LotR art and film shots, as well as mangled songs, TLA, FotMB and "You know you like Tolkien too much when..." lists. I am not kidding when I say it is one of the most important things in my life.

If you could meet Mr. Tolkien in real life, what would you say and do?
I would buy him a round firstly, have a pipe with him, then worship him for his brilliance, then if he got offended (because he's a devout catholic) I'd say "Where the heck the the word 'hobbit' come from?" And then worship him some more...in an non-offensive to Catholics way!

How many of Tolkien’s books have you read? Please give the titles.

Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Tree and Leaf (which included several short stories, poems and essays)
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Several of the HoME series (Lays of Beleriand, Treason of Isengard etc.)
J.R.R. Tolkien : Letters
Father Christmas Letters
The Hobbit
(haven't read Roverandom yet, it's on back-order )

While not written by Tolkien, I have read Robert Foster's Complete Guide to Middle Earth (which is probably the best Tolkien dictionary/encyclopedia/bestiary in print, though as SGH said, slightly out dated) Cover-to-cover, as well as several Tolkien Biographies

If some one were crossing the street with a book titled 'Bored of the Rings', what would be your reaction?

Clearly...G: Run across the street and beat the hell out of them with your Limited Edition version of Tolkien's 'The Silmarilion' for only $4.99 that you got at Walden Books and have read at least a few hundred times and always carry with you because you try to live your life based on the rules within it.
H: Other. If so, please explain what 'other' is.

Lets say you've just gotten home from work, and it's been a hard day. Your boss threw up all over your report, your dog was lying dead across the little 'welcome' rug when you got home, and your radio is broken and is playing rap music non-stop. The only release from your torture is the little 'Sting' replica hanging on your wall. What would you do?

You mean, no soundtrack, no Tolkien Books? *shudder* well if all I have is sting, I'd take it down and recreate the Sam/Shelob battle (book style)

And now, for our toughest question yet...

How do you feel about the new editions of Lord of the Rings coming out with sad little pictures from the movies plastered all over the cover?

Well, I did enjoy the movies, and PJ has my kudos for all those oscars, however, I believe the books and movies are two seperate thins, and thus should reman so. Crossover from film to book is bad, crossover from book to film is good!

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 03-03-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #25
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
JD, please, stop posting here. You're not a candidate nor a member of the Electoral College. You're interferring in the debate (well, there isn't really very much of a debate ) with partial sayings like
Why can't we post here?
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:38 PM   #26
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Why can't we post here?
Oooooo... you're in Trouble!!!

What about VP Candidates?? Can WE post? (psst... Rui! re-up as Jonathan's VP candidate... this'll be FUN! )

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #27
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
If you could meet Mr. Tolkien in real life, what would you say and do?
I would buy him a round firstly, then worship him for his brilliance, then when he got offended (because he's a devout catholic) I'd say "Where the heck the the word 'hobbit' come from?" And then worship him some more...in an non-offensive to Catholics way!
So, knowing ahead of time that it would offend him, you'd worship him any ways? I'm afraid that doesn't seem to bode well for your diplomatic tactics!

I ask you all, do you really want a president who offends knowing that he will?

One thing I'll say about this man, he's well read on his Tolkien! That is, most certainly, a large advantage. But then considering the opposition, having not read Roverandom could be a critical error, back ordered or not!

Quote:
If some one were crossing the street with a book titled 'Bored of the Rings', what would be your reaction?

Clearly...G: Run across the street and beat the hell out of them with your Limited Edition version of Tolkien's 'The Silmarilion' for only $4.99 that you got at Walden Books and have read at least a few hundred times and always carry with you because you try to live your life based on the rules within it.
Another excellent answer, although perhaps not the one all Tolkien fans might be looking for! There is no right answer, as it depends on each person’s feelings for the matter.

Quote:
You mean, no soundtrack, no Tolkien Books? *shudder* well if all I have is sting, I'd take it down and recreate the Sam/Shelob battle (book style)
An incomplete answer at best, I'm afraid. For one thing I think it'd be a little hard to find a spider willing to play the part of Shelob, and as you've been dubbed 'Frodo' I can't see the affair coming out too well for you.

Quote:
Well, I did enjoy the movies, and PJ has my kudos for all those oscars, however, I believe the books and movies are two seperate thins, and thus should reman so. Crossover from film to book is bad, crossover from book to film is good!
A contradictory answer if you refer to his comment one statement above, in which he refers to the sound track as well as the books, as if he might be listening to the sound track and reading the books!

Care to clarify your statements, Mr. Finrod?
Old 03-01-2004, 12:52 PM   #28
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Oooooo... you're in Trouble!!!

What about VP Candidates?? Can WE post? (psst... Rui! re-up as Jonathan's VP candidate... this'll be FUN! )
No you can not take part in this debate.

Quote:
Well, I have deleted a lot of posts here.

As Tessar said above, please, if you're not a candidate, a member of Electoral College or Tessar himself, do not post here.

Little comments may be allowed, but that don't interferre in the debate taking position for a candidate or minning another's ideas.

And why can't you post here? Because you're not running to be president.

LITTLE COMMENTS may be allowed, but not 'why can't I post here', 'haha, you SUCK', or anything like that. Please don't make this hard guys. If you can't post here, send some one a PM because you're, you know, not supposed to post here.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:15 PM   #29
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Well Tessar, my answers were given in haste before I had to depart for class. My dear Tess, d'you mind if I call you Tess?, I wouldn't be intending to offend Tolkien, but the urge to kneel at least one and say "I'm not worthy" would be irrepressible, who knows, maybe that wouldn't offend him...oh yes, I'd have to have a pipe with the old chap. And as for the Sam/Shelob battle I would use my imagination for a spider, and thirdly, I didn't say I'd read the books as I listened to the soundtrack, I just said it would suck if i didn't have either. Wow, people really twist your words.

EDIT: I'm not actually offended if it sounds that way! Thanks for apologizing anyways Tess...LOL!

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 03-03-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:23 PM   #30
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ahem... yes well... Fanny *cough*.

Of what are you not worthy? One must be a firm, confident dicta- errr leader to make a good president!

Also, you had to rush along to class after making the post? So being the president isn't important enough to demand a little more of your free time?!

Well I'd try to tear appart your answer more, but I've got to get to my math now. Cheers.

-Tessar
Old 03-01-2004, 01:26 PM   #31
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Ooh...them's fightin'mwords. You see, the ONLY people I'm not worthy of are God/Jesus, Tolkien and Ben (because of him, we're here...)

And, well, a well educated president is an advantage isn't it?

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 03-03-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #32
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
No you can not take part in this debate.
Then can you start a VP-Debate Thread? I'm itching to answer some of your questions!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:04 PM   #33
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Then can you start a VP-Debate Thread? I'm itching to answer some of your questions!
Ooooh.. yeah Let's do that. Can we? please? can we?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #34
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Tessar - moderators of a debate are NOT supposed to be commenting on candidates answers. They can ask other questions but they don't say things such as "do you really want a person who....?"

That means you are obvious biased and are using this as just a platform to support your own candidate and I find that unfair.

You are to ask the questions ONLY - the viewing public are left to make up their mind whether an answer is incomplete or not. You do not need to comment on that.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-01-2004 at 02:10 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:10 PM   #35
Ruinel
Banned

ooooooooooooohhhh Tessar... your in trouble oooooooohhhhh.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:41 PM   #36
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Tessar - moderators of a debate are NOT supposed to be commenting on candidates answers. They can ask other questions but they don't say things such as "do you really want a person who....?"

That means you are obvious biased and are using this as just a platform to support your own candidate and I find that unfair.

You are to ask the questions ONLY - the viewing public are left to make up their mind whether an answer is incomplete or not. You do not need to comment on that.
I disagree, the way I read Tessar's comments, they're to give Finrod a chance to clarify some of his statements further. The public can still determine whether Finrod answers suits them or not.

So far Finrod is the only presidential candidate that has posted, so how can you tell already that Tessar is biased? Tessar is critical, yes but if he comments on the other candidates the same way as he did with Finrod you can't accuse him of bias. As far as I'm concerned, he's doing a good job.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:44 PM   #37
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I disagree, the way I read Tessar's comments, they're to give Finrod a chance to clarify some of his statements further. The public can still determine whether Finrod answers suits them or not.

So far Finrod is the only presidential candidate that has posted, so how can you tell already that Tessar is biased? Tessar is critical, yes but if he comments on the other candidates the same way as he did with Finrod you can't accuse him of bias. As far as I'm concerned, he's doing a good job.
because a moderator of a debate does not make critical comments on a speakers statements. They simply acknowledge their statements and may lead to other questions. It is left up to the listeners to determine whether the speaker has answered the question fully or not.

Tessar, if he wants to be a TRUE moderator, should only be asking the questions - not commenting on the answers.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-01-2004, 03:03 PM   #38
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Let's stop this debating whether or not Tessar is moderating properly. We apparently won't agree with one another. In the meanwhile we're hindering the debate. The Electoral college will have to have the final say in this. Until then, Tessar can continue as he sees fit.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:43 PM   #39
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Let's stop this debating whether or not Tessar is moderating properly. We apparently won't agree with one another. In the meanwhile we're hindering the debate. The Electoral college will have to have the final say in this. Until then, Tessar can continue as he sees fit.
Then please take my complaint to the "electoral college".

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-01-2004, 08:20 PM   #40
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Take it yourself.

With any luck all these posts will be gone as well within a day or two.

What part of my statements have you all not understood?