Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2003, 10:54 PM   #21
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

It's a pity it's come to this,

Now that it has though, Godspeed, good luck, and most of all happy recontructioning!

It's perhaps fitting that it begins on Purim. As I recall the first gulf war began around the same time.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:55 PM   #22
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Wasn't Purim a holiday about the Jews defeating their enemies, or is my brain screwed up again?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:56 PM   #23
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
You really want that?....Yeesh, I wanted no-one to die

People are gonna die, but I still hope they don't
A little idealistic, don't you think?

Everyone dies, at least some people are dieing for a cause they believe in. Others, are dieing for the Allies their country supports. All are dieing for a cause, whether or not it's the right one, depends.

I personally rejoice in the fact that a dictator will be taken out of power, innocent people will die, but innocent people die everyday.

I think Saddam and Udai and his other relatives that believe in his cause will fight to the bitter end. Although, I believe most of the Iraqi soldiers will not.

Ta-da.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:02 PM   #24
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Do you remember the beginning of the movie "Air Force One"? That's how we should do it. Just bust right in on his palace with special ops and drag him out in the street. Not that it'd be that easy.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:11 PM   #25
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

i wanted to start a thread like this but since its already been done, i have a very important message for all mooters.

i know there is great social tension right now between the US and France. the US is upset with the French because they will not support the war on Iraq and the French are upset because the US is going against the will of the UN and will be going to war if Sadam (sp?) will not leave Iraq (or something like that) i am american, and i am against the war. there have been too many sacrifices made already. now im sure maybe some french citizens are for the war against Iraq. so there are groups of people who disagree with their leaders.

message for ALL mooters: just because many countries are very upset with one another right now, doesnt mean we have to be upset with eachother. this is a site for LOTR fans, and i think we should keep it just that, and not be angry at one another just because there is social unrest between countries at the moment. sure, we can argue on political points or can disegree on ideas, but i dont think it is necessary to make nasty comments about other countries, because not everyone in that country may have the same opinion as their leader.

thats all for now.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:13 PM   #26
Gwaimir Windgem

Actually, if I am correct the majority of the UN supports America.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-17-2003, 11:14 PM   #27
wahine

I agree with you when you say "Just because people are mad doesn't mean we have to be mad with eachother" or something like that.

I appreciate that you tastefully said you are against the war, but didn't make others listen to your reasons and why everyone who believes in the war will got o hell. Thank you.

Back to business

Khamul- Which palace?!
Old 03-17-2003, 11:20 PM   #28
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by wahine
Khamul- Which palace?!
Every single one of them. And if we happen upon one of his sons, we should drag him out too. Unless of course they willfully give up and go into exile, and somehow I don't see that happening.

Old 03-17-2003, 11:22 PM   #29
Millane
The Dude

nice idea Khamul...
Quote:
Khamul- Which palace?!
yeah and which Saddam, how many lookalikes does he have now...
hmmm however it could be possible to "whack" him while he does his morning skinny dip... what a demorilizing blow to the Hussiens..
Old 03-17-2003, 11:35 PM   #30
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
yeah and which Saddam, how many lookalikes does he have now...
hmmm however it could be possible to "whack" him while he does his morning skinny dip... what a demorilizing blow to the Hussiens..
Again, I say all of them. If they're dumb enough to have plastic surgery to make themselves look like Saddam, they deserve to be drug away and put into prison.

Saddam Hussein skinny dipping? Ewww...

Old 03-17-2003, 11:38 PM   #31
wahine

Quote:
Ewwww
My sentiments exactly...
Old 03-17-2003, 11:40 PM   #32
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by wahine
My sentiments exactly...
*nods*...........put me right off me supper that has

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:41 PM   #33
Gwaimir Windgem

O.O

That's unpleasant, all right...I'm gonna go to bed now...and not get up...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-17-2003, 11:45 PM   #34
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I think there is a chance of him leaving Iraq - I mean he seems like a coward. If I were in his place, I would leave asap - thousands of american troops ready to take your country in a matter of days.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:47 PM   #35
Millane
The Dude

Yes now you all no how i felt reading it in the paper... i just count my lucky stars that im not one of the guards that has to watch over him on his morning swim... but hey it would be a good plan of attack coz apparently he does it every morning without fail...
Old 03-17-2003, 11:47 PM   #36
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Just as another Tolkien character said (in the movie mind you ):

...War is upon you, whether you would risk it or not!

*I edited out "Open" from it so no need to try and correct me *
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 12:35 AM   #37
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

If anyone missed it or it wasn't aired where you are or what have you, here is a copy of the speech by Bush tonight:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...sh.transcript/
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 03-18-2003, 12:37 AM   #38
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

One of my favorite parts of the speech tonight is this passage:

Quote:
Taken from Bush's speech

Today, no nation can possibly claim that Iraq has disarmed. And it will not disarm so long as Saddam Hussein holds power. For the last four-and-a-half months, the United States and our allies have worked within the Security Council to enforce that Council's long-standing demands. Yet, some permanent members of the Security Council have publicly announced they will veto any resolution that compels the disarmament of Iraq. These governments share our assessment of the danger, but not our resolve to meet it. Many nations, however, do have the resolve and fortitude to act against this threat to peace, and a broad coalition is now gathering to enforce the just demands of the world. The United Nations Security Council has not lived up to its responsibilities, so we will rise to ours.

--Linaewen
Old 03-18-2003, 12:44 AM   #39
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Ultimately these four paragraphs sum up everything:

Quote:

Taken from Bush's speech

In recent days, some governments in the Middle East have been doing their part. They have delivered public and private messages urging the dictator to leave Iraq, so that disarmament can proceed peacefully. He has thus far refused. All the decades of deceit and cruelty have now reached an end. Saddam Hussein and his sons must leave Iraq within 48 hours. Their refusal to do so will result in military conflict, commenced at a time of our choosing. For their own safety, all foreign nationals -- including journalists and inspectors -- should leave Iraq immediately.

Many Iraqis can hear me tonight in a translated radio broadcast, and I have a message for them. If we must begin a military campaign, it will be directed against the lawless men who rule your country and not against you. As our coalition takes away their power, we will deliver the food and medicine you need. We will tear down the apparatus of terror and we will help you to build a new Iraq that is prosperous and free. In a free Iraq, there will be no more wars of aggression against your neighbors, no more poison factories, no more executions of dissidents, no more torture chambers and rape rooms. The tyrant will soon be gone. The day of your liberation is near.

It is too late for Saddam Hussein to remain in power. It is not too late for the Iraqi military to act with honor and protect your country by permitting the peaceful entry of coalition forces to eliminate weapons of mass destruction. Our forces will give Iraqi military units clear instructions on actions they can take to avoid being attacked and destroyed. I urge every member of the Iraqi military and intelligence services, if war comes, do not fight for a dying regime that is not worth your own life.

And all Iraqi military and civilian personnel should listen carefully to this warning. In any conflict, your fate will depend on your action. Do not destroy oil wells, a source of wealth that belongs to the Iraqi people. Do not obey any command to use weapons of mass destruction against anyone, including the Iraqi people. War crimes will be prosecuted. War criminals will be punished. And it will be no defense to say, "I was just following orders."

--Linaewen
Old 03-18-2003, 12:44 AM   #40
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 03-18-2003 at 12:53 AM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote