Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #21
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Don't you mean consistent? I think you're right about "Foreward" though.
LOL! Yes, I mean consistent.
That's how it goes when I put my nose up too high.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:53 PM   #22
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I always want to drop those es.
that's funny--ever since I took Chaucer last year, I add es to the end of a lot of my words.

yay for reading lotr! And at a very nice, slow pace so that I don't have to worry about it taking the place of homework (wait...what did Earniel say about discipline? I think that applies to me, too)
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:36 PM   #23
azalea
Long lost mooter

Read the PS in my post in the other thread -- forward vs. foreword.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Funny, I just started re-reading it two weeks ago. I'm almost done with FOTR. What a great book! (but you guys know that!)

I know this brings in the movies, but as I was re-reading, it was really interesting to see the lines that are in the movie, but given to a different character, or spoken at a different time. Is there a thread for that? I'd be interested in compiling that info just for fun. Could we make a small note in our posts in this thread when we hit a line that is in the movies, or should we just start another thread?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:37 PM   #25
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'm excited... i get to start chapter one tonight!

i forget... is it once a week or once every two weeks?
Old 03-16-2004, 05:37 PM   #26
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I know this brings in the movies, but as I was re-reading, it was really interesting to see the lines that are in the movie, but given to a different character, or spoken at a different time. Is there a thread for that? I'd be interested in compiling that info just for fun. Could we make a small note in our posts in this thread when we hit a line that is in the movies, or should we just start another thread?
I'd say separate thread... in the movie forum. Maybe do a search on it first, then start it up with some of the ones you noticed.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:43 PM   #27
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i'm excited... i get to start chapter one tonight!

i forget... is it once a week or once every two weeks?
Every two weeks. So if you're "playing along at home," you should aim to read chapter one by next Friday (the 26th).

Rian, I think there might be a suitable thread in the movies forum, but if you can't find one, it would be fine to start one. That does sound fun.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:59 AM   #28
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I looked a bit, but didn't see one, and I just came across another fun quote from the book tonight - I think it would be fun, too

*official sounding voice* We interrupt this thread for an important announcement - it is the civic duty of all Mooters, no matter how many times they've read LOTR, to start reading it again, in order to support this important civic project that will have a huge positive impact on global peace and the ozone layer! Citizens of Entmoot - do your duty!

We now return you to your thread

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:58 PM   #29
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

Nazgul

you know, now that i really think about it, i don't remember evr reading the foreward or prolouge before...*ducks angry mooters throwing stuff* sorry! i just...never noticed them! *ducks more flying objects*

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 01:50 PM   #30
azalea
Long lost mooter

Well, now's your chance! Read them and comment in the discussion thread!
Old 03-20-2004, 04:49 PM   #31
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Hey, I'm in!!!
A oppertunity to re-read the books instead of doing essays. But I don't know about highlighting the books.... I just don't think I can bring myself to deface Tolkien.

I'll start to re-read tonight - hopefully s-l-o-w-ly, I normally read books quite quickly.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 02:59 PM   #32
azalea
Long lost mooter

Just to remind everyone: if you are doing this, chapter 2 should be read by no later than APRIL 9.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:30 PM   #33
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

aaahh u dont leave me much time, do you?

i have to re read up to the end of chapter 2 within the next 11 and a half hours
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:10 PM   #34
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I'm in. I just reread them before the movies came out, but this will give me a good excuse to go over them again and pay attention to the details. And who better is there to discuss the books with than ouy guys.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 08:06 PM   #35
azalea
Long lost mooter

Section 4 will be due on April 30, so if you're reading along, plan to have chapters 3 and 4 read by then. I plan to read chapter 3 this week, and chapter 4 the following week, to keep an even pace.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #36
Valandil

Theoden

Argh! It's been hard to stay consistent with the start-and-stop reading! I'm only about half-way through chapter 3. So now I need to wrap up 3 & 4 (I have almost 30 pages to go) THEN get 5 and 6 by next weekend. Too bad I just seem to have something every night and can't get to it. *sigh*

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 05-04-2004, 02:00 PM   #37
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, I'm behind as well, but I'll get caught up this week. (We all had a stomach flu last week, then my son's third b'day and a baby shower for a friend over the weekend, doctor appt, swim lesson sign ups...WHEW! Now things are calm again, at least for a while.)
I haven't even started 3 yet, but I'll get them both read by the weekend, and will be able to post in the thread. Plus I need to post in the ch. 2 thread -- I have all my notes, I just never was able to get anything posted there. But I'm sure no one will mind revisiting it if they want to respond to anything I write about it.

So here is where it stands: ideally, you'd have ch. 5 read by this Friday, and ch. 6 by the following Friday (May 14), when the chapters are due to be posted. But those of us who are behind can at least make it our goal to have them both read by then

You know, it's not the reading. It's the note taking that makes it harder than it normally would be, at least in my case. I take too many notes, but there is just so much in there to make note of!
Old 05-04-2004, 02:14 PM   #38
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'm not much of a note taker... i just try to read it at lunch a day or two before the due date so it's fresh in my mind... though i may have to do it a bit sooner when my chapters come up
Old 05-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #39
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
But I don't know about highlighting the books.... I just don't think I can bring myself to deface Tolkien.
Well... I've started doing it - and it's OK! I actually had similar reservations about highlighting in the Bible some years back. Not that I felt there was anything really wrong with doing it - it just didn't feel right! However, I just thought it through and came to the conclusion that the 'sacred' aspect of scripture was how it would become learned by our minds and shape our attitudes and actions - not the ink printed on paper... so maybe you can conclude something similar (though maybe a bit less 'sacred' ) about LotR.

Happy, happy! Had a chance to do some catch-up reading this weekend. Finished chapter 4, read all of 5 and have started into 6. Hope to have 6 done by the 20th - JD's target day to post 5 and 6!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-16-2004, 07:47 PM   #40
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I 'defaced' my copy of the LOTR by adding FÃ*riel as the daughter of Elanor and Fastred in Samwise's family tree. I think I got that from The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and added it to the LOTR because it's not mentioned.