Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2002, 09:31 PM   #21
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Alas, no, TinuvielChild, we don't do nationals. We qualify, of course, but we just don't care to go. The nationals for the MAIN competition that we go to (as we go to three of them) are usually held for about a week in NYC. The workshops are awesome, but it costs nearly a thousand dollars per night to stay. Just knowing that we were good enough to go is enough for us.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:47 PM   #22
TinuvielChild
Padawan

heehee, yeah. The principal at Boston Ballet is too much of a Vaganova purist snob to have a team here, so I'm thinking of going somewhere else where I can compete. Have you ever been to SAB or ABT, even for a summer program?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 12:56 AM   #23
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

It makes me so sad... I want to cry!!

Nope, sadly. I just can't. My family doesn't have enough money to pay for all of the dance camps and such that I would like to go to. And, what with school and karate and everything else, I wouldn't have time, anyway. Over the summer, I have too many vacations (which I hate!!). So, that makes it impossible... even in the summer.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:51 AM   #24
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Yeah. I'd love to go to ABT or SAB, but sadly, I'm just not good enough! I went to Burklyn Ballet Theatre this last year; the artistic director is Angela Whitehill, and the focus is on performing rather than technique. I went for 4 weeks, and wanted to stay for 6! Every year they send 20 dancers to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. I wanted to go, but I didn't get in. Nutcracker auditions today! I think I'm going to get Tea, but I might be getting Bon-bon!!!!! TC happy....

See, they had levels 6 and 7 audition together this morning, and they gave us callback slips. The callback I'm in is the Tea and Bon-bon one, although I think I'm going to be Tea again. It was fun last year, but I really wanted to be Bon-bon. Oh well, I'd be perfectly happy to be Tea again, because that's mostly jumping, and jumping is my best thing.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-05-2002, 12:52 PM   #25
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Let me rephrase what I said about ABT and SAB's summer programs: I didn't audition for ABT, although I wanted to, and I was injured when I auditioned for SAB, so I wasn't dancing anywhere near my best. Pointe class in 45 minutes; the schedule for today is really screwed up because of auditions. Because of auditions, I don't have Flamenco or Pilates, and technique/pointe class got moved to 1:30. Doesn't really matter; I love Nutcracker auditions!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-05-2002, 03:24 PM   #26
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Yay for the Nutcracker!! Some of us from my dance studio are going to be performing only pieces from the Nutcracker while there is a reading of it at the library. Then, we'll be doing it again for the tree lighting ceremony in my town. AND... we'll probably be doing a perfomance for the Pittsfield Museum.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:31 PM   #27
TinuvielChild
Padawan

You are sooo lucky! I hate being in the main division at Boston Ballet; we only get to audition for Nutcracker, none of the other productions that the company does. Evilness. Oh well. Where do you dance, Rudhaglarien?

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-07-2002, 03:05 PM   #28
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

You'd never have ever heard of it... small town dance studio... Karen's School of Dance, Adams, MA.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:48 PM   #29
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Oh! I have a friend who used to go there...that was like 4 years ago, though. I forget her last name...her first name was Hannah, I think.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-07-2002, 07:13 PM   #30
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Oooo. Nifty!!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:39 PM   #31
TinuvielChild
Padawan

*sniffle* Go see my latest "vent" on the Venting Thread...has to do with my absolute favorite ballet teacher.

Ok, here you go:

My dance teacher, Ms. Ioannisyan (Ms. I. for short), who is the most incredible, fabulous, awesome, caring person you ever met (and the best teacher I've ever had, and I mean that), told us today that she's not coming back after Christmas break. She's moving to New York and joining the NYPD. That is just so incredible. I'm going to miss her so much; we all love her and can't bear to have her leave, but this is just incredible, what she's doing. It just goes to show, you really can do anything that you set your mind to, I guess. She told us right after class, and we all started crying our eyes out. She had made us brownies (oh. my. god. she makes the best brownies on the face of this earth, and I mean that), and we're eating and crying. It was just such a touching scene. *wipes eyes* okay, I've had enough sympathy for one evening, but just appreciate the beauty of that. And if you're ever in NY, and you get stopped by a pretty young police officer named Erin Ioannisyan, don't argue with her, and know that she is one of the best people on this earth.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-10-2002, 11:45 PM   #32
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, sorry, TC! Good teachers in any subject are real jewels, and in a subject that you love so much, EXTRA hard to lose I hope her replacement is good!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 10:25 PM   #33
TinuvielChild
Padawan

So do I, so do I. We're all going to be working extra hard now, and I, for one, am going to visit her in NY over the summer (if I can).

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 12:21 PM   #34
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I take ballet, too. I've taken it for eight years myself, but I'm really bad. It's been required up til now, actually, and this is the first year I've chosen to take it instead of being forced in by my mom. I love dancing, howevermuch I am SOOO not made to do it.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 05:37 PM   #35
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Well, I got my letter yesterday about Nutcracker casting: I'm Tea (I suspected as much, that's what I was last year, and it was much fun), in cast B, which sucks because we only get 11 performances (as compared to A, which gets 13, and C and D, which each get 12). Better than my first year, when we only got 8, though. Anyway. I know what you mean, Laurelyn, I really don't have a dancer's body. My turnout isn't that great (but it's better than it was), and my extension is awful (but I finally got my split; I just don't have the strength), but I still love it!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 06:59 PM   #36
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think that's great, TC! Congrats!

What's it like to perform? How do you manage? I think I would be scared stiff! But I've also heard some performers I know (musicians) say if you're not scared at least a little, then you don't perform well. What do you feel, and how do you manage it?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 07:38 PM   #37
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Congratulations, TC!!!!!!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 09:26 PM   #38
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I just love to perform! It's so much fun, being onstage...although I hate performing on my violin. I love to dance. And act. Not so much sing, because I can't really sing very well. Eh, well. Yeah, I'm happy because I got Tea again in Nutcracker.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 11:47 PM   #39
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

*dances happily for TC*
Yeah. I can't dance all that well. Though, I've been stretching and can finally do all of my splits and extensions. Now... it's time to work on the turnout and my stupid right ankle. ('Tis always giving out... so, I have to do special exercises everyday to strengthen it.) Why can't it just follow suit and be like my left ankle?? And... it didn't even start doing this until three weeks ago!! RARR!
Old 10-30-2002, 12:20 AM   #40
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Okay, here's my latest news:

I'm auditioning for a bit part in ABT's Giselle that they're doing at the Wang Theatre in Boston in November! The auditions are Nov. 13, show opens Nov. 14, closes Nov. 17. Sounds like fun, no?

Grr. Last Thursday my ballet teacher was out, so we had a sub. He was absolutely awesome! He had all this energy, and he was Russian. I mean, because of him, I can now do my grand allegro better, and I can actually jump. Unfortunately, he was just the sub, and not auditioning for the slot when my regular teacher leaves to join the NYPD. No, that was the guy we had today. See my vent in the Venting Thread for more info, I don't feel like typing it twice.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!