entss89
lord of the ents

Nazgul HI

NO CLUE!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 12:26 PM   #22
Celebrian
Enting

Maybe Sauron didn't realize how much the ring was a part of him. He might have thought it was like the other rings, except that it was evil and could control all the other rings of power.

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 03:43 PM   #23
UnStashable
Enting

I could be wrong but I think even the white council wasn't sure that destorying the ring as Frodo did would destroy/bannish/get rid of sauron like it did. It was just thier best hope. I'm not sure about anything though
Old 09-01-2002, 03:53 PM   #24
Sween
im quite stupid

theres a lot of doubt in the book. the only thing that they are all clear on is the one ring must be destroyed or all would come to ruin.

They knew if sauron got the ring he would win but they didnt know it would defeat him but they knew with it he would destroy them all.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:44 AM   #25
aeglos
Hobbit

This is one of the weakest parts of the books. Did Tolkien plan the LOTR while he wrote the Hobbit? If so, I think he had some tracks to cover. The fact that the Nazgul were so attuned to the ring that Gandalf and Aragon admonished Frodo to never use the Ring, heck Gollum and especially Bilbo used the ring alot in the Hobbit (and had none of the efffects that Frodo would have) and at that time Mirkwood Forest was Sauron's territory. Add to the fact that Sauruman was looking into the area around Gladden Fields and Sauron had to know his intentions. So why was the Ring so hard top find? Also the title Bilbo got from the dwarves (thief)and his ability to vanish had to be spoken about after the Battle of Five Armies. The other mystery is how Sauron got the ring back to middle earth since he was "not of mortal flesh and though he was robbed now of that shape" and "his spirt arose out of the deep and passed as a shadow and black wind over the sea"
Old 09-03-2002, 07:45 AM   #26
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Tolkien had no plan for LOTR when he wrote the Hobbit. He only wrote LOTR due to popular demand. He only had the idea of making Bilbo's ring the One Ring years after the Hobbit.

Bilbo did use the ring a lot after his adventure with the dragon. In my view he could do so unnoticed was because Sauron didn't know who had it or where it was. Don't forget that he learned only through Gollum that Bilbo Baggins from the Shire held his ring. He then sent out his nazgul to find this area called the Shire, he didn't know where it was. So I take it that the nazgul - or Sauron's for that matter - attunement to the ring didn't work over long distances or is less thorough than expected. Another factor is that at the time of LOTR Sauron had grown back to power at a surprising rate and then he could devote all his time and resources to search for his ring.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:12 PM   #27
aeglos
Hobbit

location of the ring

You make some good points, however the ring betrayed Isildur, and was always trying to get back to unite with Sauron. It used Bulbo to escape Gollum, it must have been transmitting everytime Bilbo used it. The fact that there were major battles still going on at the time and the Nazgul were highly visible I just don't see how he could not have none. However Tolkien does have poetic license and it does make for a better story, otherwise the Nazgul would have retrieved the ring and no LOTR.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:49 PM   #28
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

True, the ring had a bit of a mind of it's own but it couldn't do more than abandoning his bearer when it thought the time was right or influencing their thoughts. It's very possible that it sent out a sort of siren call when Bilbo used it but seeing that it failed to reach Sauron all those years I can only conclude that it had a short range.

Above that Sauron was arrogant. (which dark lord isn't?) He couldn't imagine any one wanting to destroy the ring instead of using it. The idea that only a small band of people would enter Mordor to do so was probably so outlandish that he didn't think it possible. He expected his enemies to come in large numbers, with a vast army. That's in my opinion why he was so distracted by the attack at the Morannon that he didn't notice that the Ring was on Mount Doom, in the very heart of his realm. The fact that he didn't notice it could off course be due to this attack but to me it again demonstrates that his connection with the ring didn't include a GPS.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:58 PM   #29
aeglos
Hobbit

That's another point of interest. If I knew that the ring was in the hands of my enimies, and I knew that Elrond and Aragon, and Glorfindel were invovled and that the ring was at least on it's way to Rivendale and Gandalf had escaped from Sauruman, I'd think I'd go to defcon 5. My whole existence was in the hands of a Hobbit! But Sauron continues on with his siege of Gondor and even the Nazgul are not looking for the Ring!!!
Old 09-04-2002, 05:00 AM   #30
Sween
im quite stupid

Sauron though he knew perfectally well where the ring was. he thought merry and pippin had it. He figured there stratergy woulkd be to bring it to minas Tirith then march on mordor. he wasnt even sure that they were going to attemp to destroy. he never imigined that 2 hobbits would be creeping through mordor as he unleased his army
Old 09-04-2002, 06:02 AM   #31
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Gollum Sssauron'ssss ssssstupid, Preciousssss...

Sauron must have known the Ring existed. After all, he was 'seeking it' and who's going to look for something they don't actually believe exists? But, Sauron could just have been dumber than I thought he was. Melkor's still better than him! Archbob the Elder was right! *chants 'Sauron's a wanna-be, Sauron's a wanna-be'* *Ahem* Ok now. Right. What was I saying?

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 07:34 AM   #32
Beruthiel
Hobbit

Right, Lets' look at it a little more systematically.

Gollum had the Ring for years and wasn't found. He used it to catch fish, and to sneak up on rabbits for his food. In all that time, Sauron was unable to find him.

Bilbo used the Ring for an odd 30 years or more for "borrowing", sneaking away from his neighbors, and walking in the woods unheeded. Sauron didn't find him!

When Gollum went sneaking towards Mordor, he was captured, and tortured, not for info on the Ring, but why he was there!..But he gave all that info anyway. His words were translated and understood. THAT was the moment that Sauron became aware the the One Ring had not washed into the Sea by way of the Great Anduin.

Did Sauron know of Aragorn? Not until Aragron made himself known in the Palantir. If Sauron had known that an Heir of Isuldur was alive, he would have sent out the Wraiths and bands of Orcs a lot earlier. Aragorn lived by stealth. He never used his full and right name, and always kept his real heritage under his hat, until he met Frodo.

Did Sauron know that Frodo was being helped by Glorfindel, the Legendary Elf of Old, or Aragorn, or Gandalf?

Certainly, once the Wraiths had been drowned and returned in spirit to Moria, there must have been a report of Glorfindel's existance (for the captain of the Nazgul knew Glorindel by sight from his dealing with him in Amon Sul.) Gandalf is easy enough to pick out, but Aragorn seems only a man. I think that the Wraiths might have reported the help of Elrond, because of the use of his Ring in creating the flood that drowned them.

Many of my friends have said that the One Ring was possibly more powerful in itself than Sauron was. It had a mind of its own. Sometimes I believe that out of malice, it wanted to live its own life, and not serve Sauron nearly as neatly as it is described. Perhaps even Sauron had to force it to his domination - force it to do his will.

Anybody agree with that? (I know there will be disagreement.)

Last edited by Beruthiel : 09-04-2002 at 07:39 AM.
Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:00 AM   #33
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel
Anybody agree with that? (I know there will be disagreement.)

No way, Jose. Sauron was the one who put the power into the ring in the first place. To suggest a dissident power, would suggest that someone apart from Sauron put the power into the ring.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:11 AM   #34
Beruthiel
Hobbit

I never sugested there was a "dissident" power. I suggested that just as Sauron was evil, so should his ring be. It is obvious that even evil people have problems with dual personalities, such a s Gollum/Smeagol.
In this case we are merely speaking of Ring/Sauron.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:21 AM   #35
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Duality implies dissidence. Refer to the slinker/stinker example. Nope. I don't buy it.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:36 AM   #36
Beruthiel
Hobbit

mmmm...interesting that the Ring never found it's way back to it's master.

I think that Gandalf's description of the Ring as "Continually seeking its maker" is a simplification. Certainly it does, but along the way it seeks to create the most evil by finding the most powerful person it can latch onto and doing more evil (before it gets back to Sauron's hand. )
Does that not suggest a duality of purpose? Or do you call that "just doing evil anywhichwayyoucan?"
Old 09-04-2002, 08:41 AM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Personally, I think it was more a case of bad judgement than wreaking havoc. It left Isildur because he was going the wrong way (basically), it latched onto Gollum because it looked like it could hitch a ride with him to the orcs (and then from the orcs to Sauron). But then, by going with Smeagol, it made a very grave mistake, and was found by an unlikely individual. Bilbo. Then it went to the Shire, and yada yada yada.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:30 AM   #38
Sween
im quite stupid

i think that the ring wanted to go with bilbo it saw that with gollum it would simply just spend existance in his dark cave.

The ring went to gollum because smegol was a bit of a nasty peice of work.

the ring was more than happy to go with bilbo or for that matter anyone.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:02 AM   #39
Nibs
Head Hollara

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
The ring went to gollum because smegol was a bit of a nasty peice of work.
They're one and the same. Give or take five hundred years and emotional torment.

And about the dispute whether Sauron really knew, it seems to make more sense that he did know. I'd go through all the implications, except... they are so numerous and I am so lethargic.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 12:26 PM   #40
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

No way, Jose. Sauron was the one who put the power into the ring in the first place. To suggest a dissident power, would suggest that someone apart from Sauron put the power into the ring.
Actually, there's quite a bit of support for the idea that it wasn't Sauron's power in the ring at all.

According to several theories he forged the ring to tap into the latent power invested in Arda by Melkor. Any power Sauron invested in the ring was likely used to forge the link itself, not "charge the battery".

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote