Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2002, 10:20 AM   #21
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I would consider my self hardcore. I have only been a fan for a year thought so I don't know everything yet.. I am working on it! I just bought HotLotR. (History of the LotR)
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 10:15 AM   #22
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Wohoo! So I'm not the only person to think up crazy Nazgul-coasters and Bilbo's teacup rides!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 07:54 PM   #23
Sakata
Elven Warrior

I would consider myself a hardcore fan, I have the gates of moria painted 5ft high in my room, with dwarven runes going around the top of my room (and this was years before the movie came out mind you) I speak and study Quenya and other lanugages -though I still cant get english right. I got lotr calandrs, books, swords, rings, goblets...you name it, and to top it all off, i am a 16 year old girl, how weird is that?

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 04:58 AM   #24
Agburanar
Elf Lord

My best friend has always wanted a crossbow, anyone know where I can get her one?
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:45 PM   #25
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I don't think I'm hardcore. I like Tolkien a lot, well that's an understatement I adore Tolkien. But I'm not learning Quenya or Sindarin (I'm already having trouble with German and French as it is) and I definately have A LOT of reading and catching up to do. And the point is even if I tried to be a fully learned Tolkienscholar, I know I never will. Gosh, now I'm depressed... hand me that crossbow, will you Agburanar?
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 04:30 PM   #26
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

I don't think I'm really hardcore. I love LOTR, I read it every night before I go to bed,so don't get me wrong. But I don't have each book memorized from cover to cover and I don't know everything there is to know about Tolkien the way some of you do. I just love the books.
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 04:35 PM   #27
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

I call my washing machine the Crack Of Doom and once threw my mom's wedding band in there. Does that make me qualify?

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:52 AM   #28
Sakata
Elven Warrior

Agburanar, its called e-bay my friend, you can get anything on there, I have bought 2 swords of there already.

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 01:15 AM   #29
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn
I call my washing machine the Crack Of Doom and once threw my mom's wedding band in there. Does that make me qualify?
It may make you qualify for a mental asylum!!! Hehe
Old 02-10-2002, 01:37 PM   #30
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Oooh, a mental asylum?? Can I go?

I don't really think I'm "Hardcore." I am, however, a fan.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 02:12 PM   #31
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I am most definately not hardcore, but I am a fan, as stated above I'm getting there though.

All of my friends think I am odd.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:45 AM   #32
Nibs
Head Hollara

From the way you put it, you're saying that hardcore fans (short for "fanatics") don't merely invest their time into this cause; they invest their LIFE (all too true, I suppose).

I'm actually taking a class here at college studying the works of Tolkien. We learned how the diphthongs (yes, that's a word), or the juxtapositioning of consonants, in Quenya resembles (more than coincidencidentally) that of Finnish. Also, the vowel and consonant replacements between singular and plural nouns (i.e. [in Quenyan], "orch" means "orc" while "yrch" means "orcs") is exactly the same to that of Welsh.

That's my claim to Tolkien fame. I don't think I'll ever live in a Smial or a glistening white tower, but I may get a few other fans to go on a camping trip, LotR style... that would be splendid...

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 02:02 AM   #33
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

That sounds really interesting, Nibs.

I can't say I wouldn't want to live in a Smial and speak Quenya all the time, but it's rather unlikely to happen. So I guess I'm a mental hardcore fan. If that makes any sense.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 10:10 AM   #34
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Re FrodoFriend's: "So I guess I'm a mental hardcore fan...."
And I think that I am just plain MENTAL, period!!

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 10:40 AM   #35
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakata
I would consider myself a hardcore fan, I have the gates of moria painted 5ft high in my room, with dwarven runes going around the top of my room (and this was years before the movie came out mind you) I speak and study Quenya and other lanugages -though I still cant get english right. I got lotr calandrs, books, swords, rings, goblets...you name it, and to top it all off, i am a 16 year old girl, how weird is that?

ooooo 16yo Female, can u speak some Elvish to me, in an Arwen/Liv kinda way, and ur bound to turn me on!

heheh
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 12:02 PM   #36
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I may be a big fan of Tolkien, but I'm not really "hardcore". I've read LotR repeatedly, as well as Silmarillion, but simply cannot get into history of Middle Earth. I love discussing the books, arguing this point or that, but when it comes down to it, my truck is not named Shadowfax, my cat is not named Shelob, and I do not call my tv the "palantir". I do, however, think of Redhorn Gate everytime I am mountain climbing [which is often], saw the Fellowship of the ring seven times [so far], and virtually came unglued when I thought some poster had said JRR Tolkien was a poor scholar. Maybe the first step to dealing with Tolkienist tendencies is to admit you have a problem...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 04:56 PM   #37
Celebwen
Hobbit

Location: somewhere, over the rainbow, preferribly in Middle-Earth......
I can't say that I'm hardcore....actually, yeah.....I'm more mental I practically read LotR from back-front (it's more interesting!), I know how to *translate* Sindarin (still working on the speech), I can name the dwarves from TH off the top of my head, and I've made two languages of my own (writing, words, the whole thing).

Calling all FREAKS!

(((and my cat's named Galadriel...well, at least that's what I call her!)))
...'I chose thumbs because they are very important. If I hadn't my thumbs I don't suppose I could ride my horse or write letters or pinch my litttle brothers, so I thought perhaps I should make a list of everything I couldn't do without my thumbs, for if a heathen came across the sea threatening to cut off my thumbs I might read my list and maybe he would change his mind. Then again, the likelyness of my being threatened by a heathen and whether a list would change his mind is very slim, so I'll save myself some time and not write a list!'
Celebwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 05:13 PM   #38
Nibs
Head Hollara

I'm also working on a language... it's really tough but even more fun...

And in response to Bropous' comment, I nearly agree with the fact that Tolkien was a poor scholar, but strictly in the scholarly sense. Fantasists are not awarded much respect in many circles, and some of his peers argued that Tolkien was wasting his time with nonsense... after all, children do that type of thing.

However, as true as that is, he produced something of far greater value than (I think) if he adhered solely to his studies, and I'm glad that he showed so much creativity into his scholastic achievements.

Old 02-17-2002, 05:34 PM   #39
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Wouldn't 'hardcore fans' be long for 'fanatics', Nibs?
Old 02-17-2002, 07:12 PM   #40
Nibs
Head Hollara

Well, I suppose so... except that I'm talking about a single word there, not a phrase... but I'm sure you knew that and was just joshing, considering that obnoxious smiley following your comment.