Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2002, 03:23 AM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
did the emperor know about Owen Lars?
And why would Vader suspect that obi-wan would hide there?
I don't think that they would suspect Obi-Wan would hide on Tatoine nor do I know if the emporer would know about Owen Lars. But I think that the emperor would most likely try to find Luke and Leia. Do you think that Darth Vader may have known where Luke was the entire time - and chose to ignore it? It is possible that the only thing he really had left that he cared about were his kids? He didn't show much caring in EP5 and through most of EP6 toward Luke - but it doesn't mean that he didn't just want to let Luke live and hope that his son wouldn't be brought into everything. And in EP4 there is no indication that he ever had any idea that Leia was his daughter. Hopefully some of these questions will be answered in EP3. But maybe it will just end with Anakin becoming Darth Vader - but never answering any of these questions.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 05:24 AM   #22
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Maybe he didn;t know he had kids. he didn't know about leia until episode VI and luke until IV... remember the vader line " the force is strong in this one...

so if he didn't know he had kids, tatoonie would be a great place for ben and luke to hide

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:18 PM   #23
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I think, now, for a first time viewer; that indeed, the 6 films should be viewed IV, V, VI, I, II, III but afterwards, it is best served I to VI for repeaters. Here's a personal experience with an incomplete marathon:

I viewed my VCD collection of Ep.1 and then the original Trilogy that I bought shortly after The Phantom Menace showed.

I can't help but feel more for Vader now when I saw the look on his face after Luke took off his mask and tells him he can still save him. This was then when Anakin says "You already have Luke. You were right. Tell Your sister you were right." If it didn't bring a tear to my eye before, it does now.

Then there's that sweeping shot of Obi Wan, Yoda, and Anakin (Sebastian Shaw) looking on at Luke and Lea at the end of ROTJ. Anakin seemed larger than life now.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 07:40 PM   #24
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, my guess is that Annikin doesn't know he has kids or only knows about Luke ("your sister...you have a sister!" He sees Leia as only a diplomat of the last remnants of the senate or whatever), and that either Padme decides to let the good people raise him because they'd be the closest thing to family he's got and in hopes that the simple life would save him from the pain and war she had experienced, and Leia is raised by Organa as the princess "hidden in plain sight" perhaps. Can't wait for Episode 3! Maybe if it doesn't satisfactorily explain everything, he'll do an Episode 3 1/2!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 02:20 AM   #25
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I realize more and more that I ought to see Episodes 4, 5, and 6 again...but I'd say it would indeed be interesting to test that: try it each way. I like knowing what happens to Anakin and everybody else, but who knows. . .

On the subject of Tatooine as a hiding place, one would think Vader would assume that Obi-wan is hiding there, because Obi-wan would think it's the last place he'd look.

Aw, I can't wait for Ep. III!!!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 04:49 AM   #26
Sween
im quite stupid

i allways thought it was very dumb hideing luke with Vaders brother. you have to asume that he didnt know he had kids or as i suspect lucas will do suspect they are dead.

as for leia lucas didnt decided for her to be luke sister till he was writing ROTJ.

Lucas has caused a world of problems by casting too many people from the origional triology.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:19 AM   #27
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Well, it turned out in the latest prequel that Anakin and Owen were only stepborthers and Ani didn't seem at all interested in Owen. He also didn't know about Luke in the movie until the dogfight near the Death Star ("The Force is strong in this one") and his talk with Obi Wan ("Your thoughts betray you Obi Wan"). He might not even know that it was Obi Wan who took Luke or if he ever did have children so probably no reason to look.

What I'm qa bit interested in is how Obi Wan was able to pick Owen since only Anakin, Padme, and the droids knew about them (Oops, Waddo too).

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 05-21-2002, 05:22 AM   #28
Sween
im quite stupid

i though it was esspecially stupid giving Luke the same last name as Anakin had.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:23 AM   #29
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
and his talk with Obi Wan ("Your thoughts betray you Obi Wan").

are you confusing luke and obi wan?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 05:38 AM   #30
Sween
im quite stupid

At no point does Vader say to Obi wan. you are getting mixed up with the line in ROTJ when vadert says 'sister......so you have a twin sister, obi wan was wize to hide her from me now his failer is now complete if you (luke) will not turn to the dark sude perhaps she will'

i think it even may be sidious that says that line.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:40 AM   #31
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

A-E, I'll check again in a a few hrs. but I thought he might have told Obi Wan as well when they met in ANH.

And Sween, it is stupid to give Luke that same last name but when I check the vcd in a few hrs, I'll try to find out when the name Skywalker comes up. If it comes up only after he meets up with Oben, then I guess it's ok since he might have just been plain ole Luke Lars.

Watching 8 vcd's 9 to 10 hrs straight does get confusing...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 05-21-2002 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:23 AM   #32
Sween
im quite stupid

he was allways luke skywalker
Old 05-21-2002, 12:21 PM   #33
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I just fast-forwarded to that duel. It turns out that what Vader said was "Your powers are weak, old man". It sure gets confusing with the no. of Jedi and Sith Taunts.

I've also reviewed the beginning up to the point which Luke meets Obi Wan and has the talk about his father and there seems to be no mention of Luke as a Skywalker. So, I guess George can get away with saying that only Obi Wan and Yoda knew Luke was a Skywalker until they meet.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 05-21-2002, 01:05 PM   #34
azalea
Long lost mooter

Re: who knew about the Lars:
Plus remember at the beginning of ANH the droids are on Tatooine, now we know they'd been there before, and had met the Lars (but probably didn't recognize them since they were so much older). But do you think one of them might have remembered? (What fun to try to poke holes in the story )
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 02:51 PM   #35
Sween
im quite stupid

End of the day you cannot make a prequal triology without leaving a few plot hole. by his desision to include certain elemets of the origional esspecially the droids he has left a lot of problems.

i would of loved to see more inventiness in the new triology instead of rehashing a lot of characters and sceans.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:38 PM   #36
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

IMHO, lucas needs to rewrite the entire storyline, and fill in the gaps a little.

Sort of like what tolkien did with middle earth throughout his lifetime.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:58 PM   #37
olsonm
Elf Lord

Anakin Skywalker wasn't famous. Darth Vader was. People wouldn't associate the name Skywalker with Vader, especially since Vader himself appears not to have known he even had children.
I would assume that Obi-wan finds out about Owen from Padme (I don't think she dies in childbirth. Leia said her mother: "died when I was very young.").
As for the droids; 3P0's memory was clearly erased. People wonder why he doesn't remeber Owen but that's little compared to him not remembering Tatooine, the planet of his 'birth' and first 10 years of existence. As for R2, he was on a mission to find Obi-wan. He didn't have time to chat with someone he barely knew.
Owen doesn't remember the droids for a very simple reason. Forget that it's 20-some years later. Forget that all droids look alike. Owen doesn't remember them because he never learns their names. They never introduce themselves and Owen doesn't care because he has that casual dismissal of droids common in the SW universe.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:18 PM   #38
Ben
Retired Ent

Quote:
IMHO, lucas needs to rewrite the entire storyline, and fill in the gaps a little.
Actually, after Episode III comes out, I heard they're going to rework the entire series for an "Archival Edition," including new scenes and plot hole fixes. John Williams will re-score the movies too to provide more musical continuity, such as inserting the Imperial March in ANH. It should be great.

Quote:
Anakin Skywalker wasn't famous. Darth Vader was.
He wasn't famous? I seem to remember Ben telling Luke that Anakin was a great hero of the Clone Wars, or something like that. People probably knew him.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 04:23 PM   #39
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder
He wasn't famous? I seem to remember Ben telling Luke that Anakin was a great hero of the Clone Wars, or something like that. People probably knew him.
Ben never said he was a hero of the clone wars. However, he could have been famous in the republic. I meant he wasn't famous on Tatooine. Oh, some older pod-racing enthusiasts might remember a little kid by that name but that's it. That's why it's safe to use that name. Clearly, Luke doesn't know that Vader is Anakin Skywalker and it's a safe bet that no one on Tatooine does (except the Lars and Obi-wan).
Old 05-21-2002, 04:26 PM   #40
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I agree with Ben - people would have heard and known about Anakin Skywalker. He married - Padme former Queen of Naboo and Senator of Naboo, he was a great Jedi, both were in the center of the Clone Wars, etc etc.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote