Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

It was indeed an insightful post. Good to hear from you, AE!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #22
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Good to hear from you, AE!
Thanks

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #23
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Well, guess I failed to delete and fix that post

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #24
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Your code is busted. You need a ] in place of a = for it to work. Like this:

[quote]Good to hear from you, AE![/QUOTE]

or

[quote=Attalus]Good to hear from you, AE![/quote]

(cheated so the codes show up)

I'll take care of the extra posts, members can't delete posts, only the contents of them.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #25
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Thanks Eärniel

'Dern Helm"

Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #26
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beruthiel View Post
Wow, somehow I can't believe that I've returned to find some info that I can offer!
(I suddenly feel so useful.)

Aragorn received a fantastic gold sheath for the newly-forged Anduril from Galadriel, during the gift-giving ceremony on the banks of the Anduin, in Loth Lorien.

She warned him very carefully:
`Here is the gift of Celeborn and Galadriel to the leader of your Company,' she said to Aragorn, and she gave him a sheath that had been made to fit his sword. It was overlaid with a tracery of flowers and leaves wrought of silver and gold, and on it were set in elven runes formed of many gems the name Andúril and the lineage of the sword.
`The blade that is drawn from this sheath shall not be stained or broken even in defeat,' she said.

I have read many an attempt at explaining the spells upon that sheath, and one of them was that only the true owner of the blade could draw the sword and live.

Think of his careful wording:
'Here I set it,' he said; 'but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.'

It is apparent that he will not "kill" the man who draws the sword from the sheath, for Aragorn as we well know is a nobleman, not a boor. No, the sword will take care of itself from now on. It's stainless, (stainless steel?!)
impervious to shattering (that's always nice) and kiils anyone who tries to use it but it's rightful owner, the Heirs of Elendil. Way cool. Galadriel was some powerful chick, no?

It is my opinion that the method of death will come not in slaying or poisoning, but as Tolkien was so fond of, accidental/unfortunate/destiny deaths such as those that happened in the tales of the Silmarils.

Aragorn was certainly decked out. Sword that takes care of itself, and Stone that heals and gives second sight? Awesome. Not for nothing did he rise to power so quickly, with Galadriel's help.

Good thread, and awesome answer
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #27
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelrider110 View Post
More likely its a personal threat from Aragorn, something like:
"You touch my sword and I'll kill you!"
This is effectively my take, but a bit more like
If the unworthey shall profane the sword of Kings with his touch, verily shall he suffer death.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 10-19-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:50 AM   #28
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I think it's a power placed within the sword at its forging, and will operate through its agency, just like the Ring- maybe by leading the unlawful wielder into making insane challenges or charging into hopeless situations through over-confidence in his weapon.

Also note that Galadriel's blessing on the sheath doesn't say anything about inflicting punishment on the unworthy who draw the sword.

One complaint that I have is that, after Aragorn humping this most valuable but useless heirloom all over the countryside, we skip the actual reforging-it's mentioned briefly in passing- seems a bit of a diss.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 10-20-2011 at 04:52 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #29
Olmer
Elf Lord

Why useless? One can cut bread or rope. On occasion it might work as a machete to chop bushes or mow grass...

Seems Aragorn had a highly developed inferiority complex. It explains why he has never hesitated to mention his and his arms uniqueness at every opportunity, naturally, with a little bit exaggeration.
Can you blame a man for overstating his importance when no one seems have even a little respect to the company he had arrived with?

Last edited by Olmer : 10-20-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #30
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer View Post
Why useless? One can cut bread or rope. On occasion it might work as a machete to chop bushes or mow grass...

Seems Aragorn had a highly developed inferiority complex. It explains why he has never hesitated to mention his and his arms uniqueness at every opportunity, naturally, with a little bit exaggeration.
Can you blame a man for overstating his importance when no one seems have even a little respect to the company he had arrived with?
It's been a couple of years, I think, since I've posted here, decided on a whim to stop in for a peek, and gotta laugh - Olmer, you are yourself as unchanging as stainless steel and as consistent as the sunrise, Bro'.

I agree with the interpretation that Aragorn would not personally meet out any punishment to the improper wielder but rather the wielder would bring bad luck upon himself.

Last edited by Jon S. : 10-26-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote