Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
TomthePilgrim
Enting

Strider The Hobbit (animated movie)

(must admit I have never seen the Rankin-Bass LOTR)

However, I occasionally watch the Hobbit, primarily because it is the only movie that I know of representing the Hobbit. I agree that John Huston was an inspired choice to voice Gandalf and I also liked Orson Bean's portrayal of Bilbo.
Yes, yes, the animation is horrible.
However, until public pressure encourages (forces?) Peter Jackson to take on the Hobbit, it's the one way I can enjoy the Hobbit on screen.
TomthePilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomthePilgrim
Don't. It is NOT very good.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomthePilgrim

However, I occasionally watch the Hobbit, primarily because it is the only movie that I know of representing the Hobbit. I agree that John Huston was an inspired choice to voice Gandalf and I also liked Orson Bean's portrayal of Bilbo.
Yes, yes, the animation is horrible.
However, until public pressure encourages (forces?) Peter Jackson to take on the Hobbit, it's the one way I can enjoy the Hobbit on screen.
I haven't seen any of the animated movies, though I've concidered it. I get on look at the cover and completley change my mind. I started on once, but didn't like how they had one of the characters (I forget which, as it was a while ago) so I turned it off. I think I'll only be watching the Hobbit if P.J. comes out with one, as I've been hoping for years he will. lol.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

the cartoon film actually does a lot to stay on track. Most of the voices are OK, but the Hobbit look is just not that great.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merenwen Vardamir
I haven't seen any of the animated movies, though I've concidered it. I get on look at the cover and completley change my mind. I started on once, but didn't like how they had one of the characters (I forget which, as it was a while ago) so I turned it off. I think I'll only be watching the Hobbit if P.J. comes out with one, as I've been hoping for years he will. lol.

God, PLEASE no...

*runs to the chapel to pray a rosary for a VERY URGENT intention*

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

A PJ Hobbit? That....could....be interesting.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 06:24 PM   #7
Finduilas

Re: The Animated Movie

I do like the voice that did Smaug. Whenever I think about or read the chapters including the dragon I hear the voice from the movie.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:23 PM   #8
Idril Celebrindal

wow, way old topic. hehe... I must have made that post ages ago! I can't actually even remember what film I was talking about back then. I'll have 2 see if I've still got it somewhere.
Old 04-16-2001, 04:16 PM   #9
easterlinge

What is "rotoscoping"?

Old 06-07-2001, 06:54 PM   #10
The Black Lieutenant

Some of the animation in Bakshi's Lord of the Rings was cool, but I tend to agree with the review on The Tolkien Sarcasm Page. I still like it though; some scenes were done just the way I pictured them when I read the book. My favourite scenes from that movie were the flight to the Ford, the Moria scene (the way they did Gandalf's fight with the Balrog was cool) and the battle at Helm's Deep.

The Hobbit was okay except for the crummy Glen Yarbrough songs through the whole thing. The same goes for RoTK, only RoTK was a lot worse. I'll never understand why they chose Casey Casum (who did the voice of Shaggy in the Scooby Doo cartoons) to do the voices of both Merry and Pippin! But RoTK did have one redeeming scene; the tempting of Sam, when he thought about taking the Ring for himself and turning Middle Earth into a garden paradise. The dream quickly turned into one in which whole armies praised "Samwise the Strong" raising their spears to him in homage. Then he regained his composure and was himself again. The way the scene was done was very dramatic and if Roddy McDowall overacted a bit, I think we can forgive him.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:15 PM   #11
Perisil

Personaly i saw the movies before i ever read the books and they absolutley ruined the entire experience for me but i could go off on a negative rampage about how sam looked like a fat midget Tonto(FOTR) and such things but since thats been done plenty enough id say there were a couple of things i liked. Such as the voice of Gandalf and Bilbo in The Hobbit And i happened to loved the soundtrack I found the songs very enjoyable especialy the dwarven song in the beggining of the hobbit. But i must say I cant blame someone for having a different picture then i do in there head for tolkiens world and characters i have to praise anyone who takes time out of their day to create something wether its painting writing drawing or composing especialy when they take the chance to let you share there idea and vision of the professors world wich is not a easy task as some people will simply reject it because you diddnt create what is exactly inside their heads, its much easier to be a critic then a creator. I think that i wouldnt dislike the movie so much if i had read the books first. So its not realy the movie that bothers me im just bitter that i diddnt get to create my own visions of tolkiens timeless masterpeice.
Old 07-27-2001, 06:58 PM   #12
Kelloggs Gymnast

I saw it. It was a BIG deal because I was too little to read the book. I loved that movie!!! But the book was SO much better.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:05 PM   #13
Varda
Elven Warrior

I was kind of raised on the movies "The Hobbit" and "The Return of the King", so I liked them a lot when I was very little and too young to read the books. I think since most of LotR was not put into the movie, it left much more to the imagination, and I did not have to imagine all the characters exactly as they are in the animations.

I also really liked their portrayal of Gandalf, although I noticed they had his horse with reigns (sp?) and stuff when he went to meet the head nazgul. In the book it said took no saddle. Minor detail, and in general I think the movies are a good intro to a classic tale.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:44 PM   #14
AACHOO
Enting

Smaug

Richard Boone was the perfect voice for Smaug.Dignified,old as dirt and EVIL.
Have the album box set with the story book,too.
AACHOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 11:03 AM   #15
Shanamir Duntak
Lord of Rain

Welcome tp the board AACHOO!
Old 08-19-2001, 12:29 AM   #16
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Bless you.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:19 AM   #17
Mouth of the Dark Lord
Hobbit

Gollum "Bilbo. Bilbo Bagins, bravest li'l Hobbit of 'em all!"

"The Hobbit" animated movie, simply put, rocked. I can't say as much for RoTK, it was still 'Good,' I guess, but it didn't have that special 'Hobbit Magic.' The animated "Lord of the Rings," though, was by far the worst! It could have been good, but that mixin' of animation and live action just yucked it up, and seriously, they should've stuck with Rankin/Bass throughout the series.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #18
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouth of the Dark Lord
"The Hobbit" animated movie, simply put, rocked. I can't say as much for RoTK, it was still 'Good,' I guess, but it didn't have that special 'Hobbit Magic.' The animated "Lord of the Rings," though, was by far the worst! It could have been good, but that mixin' of animation and live action just yucked it up, and seriously, they should've stuck with Rankin/Bass throughout the series.
If Rankin/Bass did LOTR in the same manner that they did ROTK, I think we are fortunate that they did not make LOTR. (much of ROTK was left out and the feel of the story was changed, IMO, to a large degree from the book.)

If they filmed it in a similar manner to the Hobbit, than I think they could have done a better job than Bakshi in making LOTR.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:28 AM   #19
TomthePilgrim
Enting

Tolkien animated movies

I still have to say I enjoyed the Hobbit. . . . I enjoyed Gandalf and Smaug and (Mostly) Frodo and Bard and Thorin. The sylvan elves were pretty ugly. I have it on tape and I still watch it occasionally. (I think I'll watch it tonight! )
If they'd spent a little more time on the goblins and the elves, dropped the Glen Yarborough songs and put the Beorn section in (shades of Tom Bombadil!?!), it would have been very good.

Didn't enjoy the Bakshi LOTR (this from someone who has seen "Wizards" about ten times). Saw it in the theatre, rented it about ten years back in an attempt to change my mind about it . . . and didn't.

By the way, there is supposedly a Bakshi ROTK, released overseas only. I've seen copies for sale on eBay. As I didn't enjoy the first one, I doubt I'd enjoy the second one.

"Once upon a time it was what it was, and if nothing had happened there'd be nothing to tell." -- Charles de Lint

Last edited by TomthePilgrim : 01-17-2006 at 12:32 AM.
TomthePilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 12:46 AM   #20
Forge315-Halfling
Sapling

Strider Hobbit - Water Ship Down

I don’t know if there is more then one hobbit movie, but I love the one I saw.

Have any of you seen "Water Ship Down"? I like watching it and the hobbit movie back to back. They go great together.
Forge315-Halfling is offline   Reply With Quote