Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-23-2004, 05:07 PM   #21
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
Yes its clear enough to me, yet there is still general discussion so it is irrevant isnt it? And as i said, threads are getting exhausted. The only threads in use are Trivia threads and game ones really.
I like having the 'General Topics' section with the 'General Messages' forum. We all like the works of JRR Tolkien, but it isn't ALL we have to talk about.

You have something there about the threads getting exhausted. Every now and then I start one about something that hasn't been covered before, but even then it doesn't always draw a lot of interest. And there have been a few that I've started, only to be told there was a similar thread already... So there's like a TON of information about Tolkien's writing around here, yet I think most people want to learn it in a 'dialog' type manner... not by slogging through page after page of an old thread.

Not sure what we could best do about that... start over?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:11 PM   #22
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil

Not sure what we could best do about that... start over?

You been delete all threads and start over again? lol. Thats sounds like an idea...

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:20 PM   #23
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
You been delete all threads and start over again? lol. Thats sounds like an idea...
maybe changing the date on how far back you have to look would help... something more reasonable, like two weeks or so
Old 02-23-2004, 05:48 PM   #24
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Those guys would leave soon anyway, I can't imagine how awkward that would be posting here.

Fangirl: i luv leggsie he's sooo hotttt! so leggo my leggsie! tee hee! and i love all his grate stunts like when he takes down that eliphant thing!
Mooter1: Um, have you read the books? And why are you boycotting the shift key?
Mooter2: Can you even read?
Mooter3: He actually wasn't described as being excessively handsome in the books, the real Legolas does not necessarily look like Orlando Bloom.
Fangirl: u guys are sooo mean!!!!!111 i post 1 time and u r only meen to me. leggsie is hot, so what???// i mean y can't you just like a grate movie already!!!1
Mooter2: You're an idiot.
Mooter3: I personally didn't feel they were very good adaptations, Peter Jackson could have done so much better.
Mooter1: I greatly enjoyed the movies, but I'm not going to lose sight of the main purpose to drool over one character, who really wasn't that important.
Fangirl: not imprtant? how can u say that! he saves the hobbits... um a bunch of times.
etc. etc.
Well I can definitely see you had Ruinal in mind for Mooter2.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:18 PM   #25
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

There are now 22 users online. Usually there are 20+ on most nights (this past month anyway).

Maybe not as much as huge boards, but that is a lot.

Also, 40-50 users frequently post during a month (my guess, probably very close to actual total. def over 40 under 80).

That seems pretty large to me!

But yeah, most of our new members come from search engines and friends...... we are always looking for new members. If you post at other boards, it couldn't hurt to plug us in an advertising topic, topic about tolkien, or maybe even in your sig

Quote:
maybe changing the date on how far back you have to look would help... something more reasonable, like two weeks or so
2 weeks? That is ridiculous. much too soon. 3-4 months is a good limit. not too long in the past. The search topic is not hard to use at all. If there is current limit now, it is around several months.

we don't need the same topics being posted every couple weeks.
why can't people use the search and rehash older topics?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:51 PM   #26
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
2 weeks? That is ridiculous. much too soon. 3-4 months is a good limit. not too long in the past. The search topic is not hard to use at all. If there is current limit now, it is around several months.

we don't need the same topics being posted every couple weeks.
why can't people use the search and rehash older topics?
you don't want a new "who was tom bombadil really?" post every two weeks?!?

okay a bit silly... but maybe allow breaks for newbies

it's tough to be told after your first post that you should go search the archives and bump an 100-page thread in hopes that people will actually want to read through it again and respond to what you have to say
Old 02-23-2004, 09:57 PM   #27
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
you don't want a new "who was tom bombadil really?" post every two weeks?!?

okay a bit silly... but maybe allow breaks for newbies

it's tough to be told after your first post that you should go search the archives and bump an 100-page thread in hopes that people will actually want to read through it again and respond to what you have to say
point well taken, but I don't really see a way around this. It would not be fair to give noobs a break. Ingorance to the rules is no excuse.

To those noobs I'd suggest opening a thread on a related subject/topic where you ask a similar question, but different enough to not get closed for being a repeat topic.

Like you said, we can't have the same exact topics allowed every two weeks - so repeats are closed.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:33 PM   #28
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Well I can definitely see you had Ruinal in mind for Mooter2.
I didn't have anyone in mind IR, Ruinel hasn't flamed in ages!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:03 PM   #29
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

ENTMOOT is, and shall always be my one and only message board. it is perfect. amen.

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:11 PM   #30
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Those guys would leave soon anyway, I can't imagine how awkward that would be posting here.
They don't always. Remember Legolaslvr!? She hung around for months, spammed and fangirled a ton, left, and then came back. Gyah.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 02-24-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:25 PM   #31
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i post to other forums that are a lot more busy and a lot less moderated... one thing i like most about entmoot is the moderation... i've never seen another forum where people are so willing to be honest about the good and the bad in themselves and those around them... i think a big reason for this is that they know the conversations will remain respectful as opposed to turning into flame fests where everyone one tries to top the other on how personal attacks can get... so i think the moderation is okay

with that i mind... i have nothing against more people and have pointed this site out to people recently who i've come across online with similar interests

(a few new smilies wouldn't hurt either )
Great post BJ, that has been my best read of the day.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:51 PM   #32
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

I am going to propose a mass gathering of Mooters, to try and beat the best '72 online' record that the forum has already cheived. Dont know a date or around bout time yet, but ill try and make it so it co-ensides with the Presitdential presedings.

Before i make a new thread, i want to know if it will be closed lol. It would be called 'Entmoot Reunion' or something. Comments mods please?

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

Old 02-25-2004, 06:55 PM   #33
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

The 72-users-online was achived with the help of a lot of bots if I remember correctly. There aren't as many as 70 daily active members here anymore...
Old 02-25-2004, 07:11 PM   #34
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I am going to propose a mass gathering of Mooters, to try and beat the best '72 online' record that the forum has already cheived. Dont know a date or around bout time yet, but ill try and make it so it co-ensides with the Presitdential presedings.

Before i make a new thread, i want to know if it will be closed lol. It would be called 'Entmoot Reunion' or something. Comments mods please?
Yep, it would get closed because yours would be the third attempt to beat the record of 72. When the board reached that number of 72, only 20 or so were actual people on the board. The rest were bots as Falagar has said.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:40 PM   #35
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Great idea Twista, it would be awesome if the record reflected actual people who were on Entmoot at the time.

We can plan it out in this thread Twista, it has to do with publicizing Entmoot. I invite anyone who comes on board at the given time to come celebrate in the Teacup Cafe.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:57 AM   #36
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I want to think that the largest legitimate number of people on Entmoot at one time was 40-something. Maybe 42 or 45 or something. But that probably included a number of guests too. Perhaps someone can remember better than I can.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #37
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
The 72-users-online was achived with the help of a lot of bots if I remember correctly. There aren't as many as 70 daily active members here anymore...
What are 'bots'?

Old 02-26-2004, 04:48 PM   #38
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

spiders. web crawlers.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:55 PM   #39
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
spiders. web crawlers.
and they are????? lol

Old 02-26-2004, 05:16 PM   #40
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Robots, searching the internet for people named Twista.