Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-23-1999, 08:51 PM   #21
bmilder

Re: Trivia Question

Well, I can't find my copy of the Sil But I believe his name was Irmo (Unless that was Lorien...)
Old 12-23-1999, 09:05 PM   #22
Eruve

Trivia

I can't find the "brave heart" reference in ROTK but I'm fairly sure now it refers to Eowyn. Irmo was Lorien.
Old 12-23-1999, 09:10 PM   #23
bmilder

Thought so :P It's Namo then...
Old 12-24-1999, 12:58 AM   #24
Eruve

Trivia

Now you've got it!
Old 12-24-1999, 03:17 AM   #25
Hernalt

"Brave heart" is found in ROTK, p82ish, when Faramir is fleeing the Dark Rider.
Old 01-06-2000, 12:46 AM   #26
IronParrot

I've got a question for you all here... Tolkien corresponded with a reader who shared the namesake of a major character in LOTR. What was his/her name? (Character or person, doesn't matter - same anyway)
Old 01-06-2000, 01:57 PM   #27
Eruve

Sam Gamgee!!! Saw that when I was skimming through Letters the other day! Good question!
Old 01-06-2000, 07:51 PM   #28
IronParrot

Actually, I also read somewhere - I don't know where - that after corresponding with the real Sam Gamgee, Tolkien joked that he feared receiving a letter from an "S. Gollum".
Old 01-07-2000, 01:59 AM   #29
Elanor

cool! About the tunnels: the 7 gates alternated between two corners of the city, and the people had to go back and forth across that side of the city between gates. There was a spur of the mountain jutting out right in the middle, so the main road was built through it in tunnels. Actually, now that I think about it, there were probably only 6. It describes this at the beginning of RotK. Not to offend anyone, but that's why I like LotR better than Sil--it's amazingly descriptive, and the story seems much more real.
Old 01-07-2000, 02:51 AM   #30
bmilder

Yeah, sometimes I think of the Sil as a history book - just the facts, few details or "fleshing out" of characters. LotR is more of a story. It was very good, though, of course
Old 01-08-2000, 09:26 PM   #31
anduin

Eruve, which Letters are you referring to? Letters from Father Christmas or The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien? Have you heard of the latter book? Has anyone? I gave that book to someone a long time ago, and I have been looking for it ever since....
Old 01-09-2000, 01:10 AM   #32
Eruve

I meant The Letters of JRR Tolkien. Never lend books! I learned the hard way in high school, when I convinced a friend to read LOTR. I leant her my copies and only got Fellowship back. I never saw the other two volumes again!
Old 01-09-2000, 02:18 AM   #33
anduin

Yeah, I lost my first copy of LOTR the same way....but I did not lend The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, I gave it as a gift. You wouldn't happen to know where to get a copy? I have checked and I don't believe it is in print anymore.
Old 01-09-2000, 02:03 PM   #34
Eruve

anduin, you're the second person who's told me that (about Letters being unavailable). That surprises me because I only bought my copy around 3 years ago. I got it in a regular bookshop. But I live in Canada; maybe it's no longer available in the US... My edition is published by Harper Collins and comes direct from London. Have you tried Amazon? If not, I think Chapters has a website where you can order books. Chapters is a Canadian bookstore. I think the url is something like <A HREF=http://www.chapters.ca >http://www.chapters.ca </A>. Good luck! Edited to add: I just checked the Chapters site and it's available here in Canada and can be ordered from their site.
Old 01-09-2000, 03:27 PM   #35
anduin

Yeah, I have tried amazon.com. I even signed up to be emailed if it ever becomes available at auction, but I haven't heard anything yet. I may just ask if my friend still has the book, and if he would be interested in selling it to me or something...
Old 01-10-2000, 12:10 AM   #36
Hernalt

Books about Tolkien and Middle-earth Don't accidentally order Bored of the Rings...
Old 01-10-2000, 01:09 AM   #37
anduin

Is that a comment directed towards the book? I mean, is it worth even bothering about?
Old 01-14-2000, 09:41 PM   #38
The One Ring

I haven't read it but I heard it's fairly funny.
Old 01-14-2000, 11:31 PM   #39
Hernalt

Bored of the Rings had authentic humor for some portions. But the *comedians* may have just as well used the HTML tags [we'retiredofwritingthisdamnbookwepromiseddammit,ju ststopreadingandgiveusyourmoney] and [/we'retiredofwritingthisdamnbookwepromiseddammit,ju ststopreadingandgiveusyourmoney] for the sections where they ran out of Actual Witâ„¢. I chuckled for some portions, but it required effort. You can always borrow it from a friend.
Old 01-15-2000, 12:03 AM   #40
anduin

Sorry, what I meant is, is The Letters of JRR Tolkien worth trying to track down?